High-end 3 way dáppolito with aluminiumcone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Hey Helmuth

mcmahon48 said:
Very good job of redesigning there and I am very interested in you mic preamp, yet I am having trouble reading your schematic, would you redraw so it is more clear, I know how it is I do the same thing. Plus also I would suggest using a precision potentiometer in place of the multiple resistors. looking forward to using it with my Virtins spectrum analyzer program

what op amp are you using

I use for listening a Yaqin MC10L modified with four JJ-KT77 and Russian military 1N6EB and 1N23EB. And silver ground wire inside.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This amp I use for testing. Based on the tda7250.pdf
I did blew it twice only two new darlingtons and it works again.

TDA7250.GIF

You shout try and copy the schematic to your own PC and open it then you will have higher resolution. The switch is better because you will know precise what gain you have. But it is possible to use a 50kOhm potentiometer.

You do not have to build one there are also sound carts with phantom supply.

M-audio
or this one

Good morning people,

I must conclude without Hobbybox I never could reach this result.

I probably could hear that there is something wrong and do some thing about it. But in the region above 4kHz the reaction to my modifications where diveren't then I would aspect. It was very critical half a uF more and the flatness was gone.

The speaker measures very low distortion and the impulse behaviour is bizarre good.:bigeyes:

The low frequencies do not hum at all although it can reproduce down to 18Hz. I move the XO from 250Hz to 420Hz the sound off the midlow became more packed. Also the mid ranges do have to travel that far by this modification and the contributes to the detail of voices and will have less Doppler effect.
The impulse behaviour of the Mivoc tweeter is awesome. The sound is dry and warm without any Sss noises, and not as thin as a ribbon.
Although it had in the baffle high bump around13kHz it is all solved with the crossover. A surprise was that at a angle of 15 degrees it was almost the same as on axes very good.

When I listen I perceive the good impulse behaviour as if the sound stage has become deeper compared to my own set of speakers.

Taste of sound plays also roll as also the design. I think that it is a speaker for a limited group of music lovers. A speaker with this impulse behaviour does sound diveren't than to what you know.

I will post the final cross over design quick.

Regards Helmuth

Here the impedance of the speaker black and the phase bleu.

impedance.jpg

I had some time to listen to this speaker. The break-in period of the wtp138 midrange took more than a week now they sound more open than at the beginning.

What is very good on this speaker is the easy positioning of the musicians on the sound stage the sound is totally loose from the speaker.
Most speaker have problems to get the bass response loose this one places the drums behind the vocalist in the space.

Also the very dynamic bass response is remarkable, it is bizarre to see a 10" woofer move as fast as a 5". I listened to music from the Fugees and I feel the base in my belly. I like that it is very cool speaker technique that moves to the limit.

Cheers, Helmuth

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have double 8" in closed
I have always wondered why they dont move much
Even if its loud and with loads of bass
Sometimes too much on certain kinds of modern music where bass is turned up
On films with heavy lowend effects the whole room is rumbling, to a degree thats really scaring
No subs needed fore that
So, I have loads of bass, yet woofers normally moves very little
Sometimes its almost not even visual, yet still playing bass
If they move a lot I really dont want to be in the room

I do know mine is far from perfect, but could the "impressive" movement" of your BR design be due to the BR getting unloaded below a certain frequency, where a closed is not

Is this a known difference between closed and BR
Im really just curious :)

tinitus said:
I have double 8" in closed
I have always wondered why they dont move much
Even if its loud and with loads of bass
Sometimes too much on certain kinds of modern music where bass is turned up
On films with heavy lowend effects the whole room is rumbling, to a degree thats really scaring
No subs needed fore that
So, I have loads of bass, yet woofers normally moves very little
Sometimes its almost not even visual, yet still playing bass
If they move a lot I really dont want to be in the room

I do know mine is far from perfect, but could the "impressive" movement" of your BR design be due to the BR getting unloaded below a certain frequency, where a closed is not

Is this a known difference between closed and BR
Im really just curious :)

The movement is the result of the Sd area and frequency and pressure you want to generate.
How lower the frequency then the x must increase to maintain the sound pressure.
Till this isn't more possible the speaker loses acoustic resistance and the resonance frequency appears the Fs of the impedance.

With a BR system the port is tuned to the resonance frequency. At the tune frequency the air in the port resonates in opposite phase with the air in the box. Increasing the acoustic resistance for the driver.

Result the x decreases and the sound is radiated by the port and driver together. You see in the attachment the extrusion of the driver at 1 W and at 20W. The red line is the Xmax. That is the limit for linear behaivour of the motor of your driver.

At the attachment the same driver is simulated one(orange) in a closed box the other (yellow) in a bass reflex.

You can see at the closed box that after resonance the x stays constant and thus the sound pressure decreases. The -3dB point.

With the same driver in a BR cabinet the port increases the air load to the max at resonance so the impedance is then near R-DC and the movement decreases radical.

A good design has many air load because this means it radiates sound.
With a horn you virtual increase the sd. because (sd or throot) * X= Mouth horn * X. This creates a huge air load and thus SPL and good impulse behaivour.

In this design the port generates a good load for the driver so at can't resonate afterwards.
What to many a good or many bass is often a very bad impulse behaivour. So the driver resonates afterwards and creates a fat sound.

The waterfall of this driver is exceptional tight. Tight responding low frequency transponders sound not fat but do give fast peak responses and do not store energy in the system (driver box) and resonate afterwards.

I had back loaded horns they can produce very impulsive clean low distortion low frequency. But to my surprise this bass reflex came close to that sound.

So your speaker has a lot of low frequency to test if that is due poor impulse behaivour your can connect a battery and connect it for a second. Than you shout have a dry bop. If it is more a boinggg than it is a poor performing design.

Regards, Helmuth

Attachments

• xmax.jpg
    xmax.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 637
Here the attachment of the transfer closed -3dB at 50Hz and BR -3db 26Hz. That is the gain for the same driver when placed in a closed or BR-enclosure

In the attachment of the cone extrusion you can see the BR port does it work maximal at about 25Hz very low x. This you can also see when you look at the impedance. at 25 Hz almost Rdc.

When you use Winisd-pro it is easy to generate this data. This software is freeware!

You can also see when you look at the cone extrusion that the driver in the BR makes the biggest movement at 35Hz and at 18Hz. You can also see that the driver in the closed box has the same movement down to 35Hz as with the BR-system.

Regards Helmuth

Attachments

• transfer.jpg
    transfer.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 621
Good impulse behaivour is all about energy storage.

Here a interesting study about this theme.
stored energy

Here the stored energy in a crossover. 1st order performs the best. This is why also my design performs exceptional in the waterfall diagram.stored energy XO
waterfvalmodd2.jpg

The fact that the sound is loose from the speaker is direct related to the off axes response combined with good impulse behaivour.

Regards Helmuth

DSCF0354.jpg

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Helmuth said:

The fact that the sound is loose from the speaker is direct related to the off axes response combined with good impulse behaivour.

Regards Helmuth

Well, in that case I will have nothing to worry about :)

But thanks anyway, fore the details, your work is impressive
Though, may be a bit wasted on me
Im in doubt whether theory and reality really is the same

Amazes me that with your knowledge you take 6db filters serious, I thought we all had agreed long time ago that it really doesnt exist in real life
Are you sure it is 6db :rolleyes:

tinitus said:

Amazes me that with your knowledge you take 6db filters serious, I thought we all had agreed long time ago that it really doesnt exist in real life

?? explain your self.

For midrange bandpass you have to compensate the resonance frequency, and the impedance increase due the voice coil inductance.

For high you have to compensate the resonance but not in this case because there is only a little resonance impedance increase of 1,5OHM.

And for the woofer the voice coil and filter coil filter the high frequencies as a perfect 1 oct filter.

Are you sure it is 6db :rolleyes:

for 420Hz it is 6db/oct

for 3600Hz the midrange got 12db/oct to filter the breakup at about 5500hz.

And the tweeter is 6dB oct.

The best solutions are the simple ones this also the case with a 6dB filter, although you need drivers that can endure that.

tinitus said:

But thanks anyway, fore the details, your work is impressive
Though, may be a bit wasted on me
Im in doubt whether theory and reality really is the same

And Tinitus,

If the theory is fault you shout proof that with a good example.

There is a lot to do where DR Geddes has done his part the relation measured values and the perception of these figures.

Regards Helmuth

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I havent found any measurement on individual driver slopes, just a simulation, that looks very far from any 6db
A bit hard fore me to argue on that basis
I can only say that when I tried simple 6db filter on my 3way, not long ago, I got ok sound, but also strugled with severe phase issues

Though I have done 2ways with 6db, with no problems
But I have no clew whether it actually was 6db
I have also done cheap 2ways with just a cap on the tweeter, and they were ok too

Personally I find it hard to do a 3way with less than 12db, as I need something adjustable, and a single component is not much to work with
And even so, 12db easily ends up being 24db, on the acoustic side

Your nice design is probably just teasing me :)

What provoces me a bit is your claims about the benefits you have from 6db, when its in reality probably isnt 6db, on the acoustic side
At least I havent seen measurements that proves it, or I may have missed them

But still, a nice well documented project, have been a pleasure to follow ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Helmuth said:

And Tinitus,

If the theory is fault you shout proof that with a good example.

There is a lot to do where DR Geddes has done his part the relation measured values and the perception of these figures.

Regards Helmuth

I believe theres plenty of that around, where theory and practise are bent to match each other

As fore dr Geddes, you mention, he can probably prove just about anything to me, things I cant argue with, as I dont understand any of it

But that doesnt mean I have to believe it all
Lots of proven scientific "facts" that are proven wrong, years later
Right now hundreds of books are written about climate changes, by "scientists"
And they are probably all wrong, because they rely on computers feed with faulty "facts"
Happens all the time

Sure, Im a country boy, and proud of it too
So, most think Im a crazy fool, luckily my best friends say the opposite, so that dont bother me much :clown:

peace :)

tinitus said:

I believe theres plenty of that around, where theory and practise are bent to match each other

As fore dr Geddes, you mention, he can probably prove just about anything to me, things I cant argue with, as I dont understand any of it

But that doesnt mean I have to believe it all
Lots of proven scientific "facts" that are proven wrong, years later
Right now hundreds of books are written about climate changes, by "scientists"
And they are probably all wrong, because they rely on computers feed with faulty "facts"
Happens all the time

Sure, Im a country boy, and proud of it too
So, most think Im a crazy fool, luckily my best friends say the opposite, so that dont bother me much :clown:

peace :)

To believe some one is good. But it is always important to make your own thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.