Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2008, 05:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default YAMAHA NS1000 crossover Tweaks

This thread is started as a continuation of a previous one regarding the effects demonstrated by changing the capacitors in the yamaha 1000's crossover.

I have now very crudely removed the crossovers and made them external and I have changed every capacitor with modern day non-electrolytics ensuring exact capacitance is copied.

The results were stunning!

Now I thought the Yams were superb speakers with the speed and transparency of my stacked quads.

However!

With the above changes this is what I get with minimal burn in time mind!

The volume output goes up significantly ???about 30% for the same volume position.

Increased detail and air around the musicians. For example in terms of detail, well known studio tracks now clearly demonstrate stunningly the background studio noises. In term of music,cymbals have more shimmer and decay. The complex harmonies that make up a piano note are more audibly felt. Voices gain body and tonal WARMTH. The midrange becomes less recessed and far more prominent. The realism is in fact enhanced further than before, and trust me in stock state the Yams are one of the best i have come across.
Bass is clearer deeper and more detailed.

Separation of complex multi instrument tracks are suddenly clearer and more easily followed.

During the conversions I initially did only one speaker first. I was then able to compare a mono track between the tweaked and stock speakers. It was IMMEDIATELY apparent by jumping from one speaker to the other that the tweaked version was clearer warmer and had noticeably deeper bass.

Now I can only conclude one of three things

1) the original caps may have been knackered
2)externalising the crossover takes away those magnetic and sound pressure fields that may affect them
3)the original caps were of a crap quality.

Then what if I built silver inductors? or changed the caps to ultra expensive audionote copper? Or upgraded the internal cabling to one of the well respected manufacturers e.g audio note ansp??

Exciting or what.

My previous speaker experiences in chronological order are
quad esl57 stacked
spendor bc1
avantgarde duo
audio physic avanti
harbeth 30 and 40
rogers ls3.5a
etc etc

the speakers are being used with the following set up

pink triangle dacapo and transport
jadis jps2 pre
audio note 300b silver signature monoblocks
audio note silver cabling throughout
Old 12th July 2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That 30% SPL gain for same volume knob position is a bit weird. Are you sure that you haven't altered the crossover schematic by mistake?
Old 12th July 2008, 06:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Hi audiojoy!

Some pitures of tweaks Yamahas.

Regards zeoN_Rider
Old 12th July 2008, 06:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dear Salas,

Absolutely not, but remember this is a subjective not objective assessment with many possible variables. Without objectivity and spl measurement i cannot confirm either way.

However i do remember from a previous thread on another forum a similar effect being heard when the crossover was tweaked. Here is that thread:-

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showth...t=17138&page=3

and I quote

'I gave it a blast and discovered a huge increase in clarity. The effect was like upgrading to a much more powerful amp. The sound was more open, dynamic and totally better in all ways.'

So perhaps it is increased dynamics that I am hearing that made me have to reduce the volume.

Luke
Old 12th July 2008, 06:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

here is the photo just using ordinary electrical cable as connectors to the speakers and from the caps to the crossover. Long lengths of it as well!!

by the way the original caps were left in place in case i would need to reverse it, but they are cut off at their terminals from the circuit itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project1 (3).jpg (99.9 KB, 3342 views)
Old 12th July 2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by audiojoy

So perhaps it is increased dynamics that I am hearing that made me have to reduce the volume.

Luke

I don't know if its the new clarity, dynamics, and psychoacoustics making impressions but to get +30% SPL by renewing with much better capacitors, it's impossible. The gains should be strictly in quality and not in quantity. It's just semantics I suppose. Congratulations on the improvements. Did you keep the level controls?
Old 12th July 2008, 08:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

as per the original forum thread, it was reported that removing the tweeter/mid controls was not worthwhile sound quality wise, so I have kept them in the circuit.
Old 13th July 2008, 03:23 AM   #8
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
as per the original forum thread, it was reported that removing the tweeter/mid controls was not worthwhile sound quality wise, so I have kept them in the circuit.
Hi audiojoy

Would you mind posting a link to that thread?
Old 13th July 2008, 03:59 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Shaun
It is above us in an earlier post
Old 13th July 2008, 04:06 AM   #10
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Shaun
It is above us in an earlier post
OK. I did go to that link. I just thought that you were referring to a thread on this forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!