Hi Efficiency two way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can a high efficiency two way be built similar to the expensive Audio Note speakers? Which are the truly good sounding 8 inch drivers out there that are over 90db per watt? Which tweeters go low enough to be a good match for them? Has anyone built something with excellent results?

Here are links to some of the higher efficiency 8 inch drivers i found at PE:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-063

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-100

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=297-310

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-042

I know Madisound has a few from Seas that are rated at 89db. Any thoughts?

TIA,
Godzilla

For a reality check let's put some numbers down: a device that takes in 1w and puts out 90 dB at 1m in half space is .6% efficient. That seems pretty low, but in all reality you're probably going to have a hard time finding an 8" driver higher than that that also plays all the way down.

Godzilla, I have had amazing luck with Seas drivers. I would start there. Nice rubber surrounds, cast frames, and good specs make Seas a winner. Not so Vifa, IMHO. I've had bad luck with Vifa power handling.

I am currently running the Dayton classic series 5.25" woofers in their "Tri-trix" transmission line project. Driven by 16 watts of tube power these are simply amazing. My ~150 ft^2 living room is full of sound with these speakers. However the Dayton Classic series 8" is below your minimum 90dB efficiency limit.

Audax makes a sexy silk dome that can be crossed over pretty low, as does Dayton. The Audax TW025A0 can go amlost all the way down to 1kHz. And the tweeter in the Tri Trix design is crossed over at 1,500 Hz. Either of these would be a place to start.

Hello all....

Of the four choices offered from PE.... the one that has the best overall performance is the Vifa ....hands down....

It really is 91 db per watt and then some.... In a 2 cu ft box it will get into the mid 30's and with it's relitively large SD and clean 4 MM x max ( with BL that holds out to about 5MM) it will play pretty loud into the mid 30's.... and its roll off is text book. Mate it with the Seas 27 TDFC and you can work a classic 2nd order crossover at around 1800 .... give or take.... For a simple medium efficiency two way ... simple to execute with proven drivers it just does not get any better....BTDT.

My $0.02 worth....

Go for it!!

John

Here's one for ya Zilla, It's BIB, and HE too....

10" Eminence Coax Post #271 BBBIB
how does this look?

Thinking of using the Eminence APT-50 supertweeter, or possibly the Selenium D210 Ti.

here's the info obtained from the " BIB Calculator "
Eminence 10CX
Fs 49
Vas 2.3
Qts 0.39
Line length 137.393
Folded Height 68.697
Vb 14.177
Sm 356.613
Depth(internal) 22.457
Width(internal) 15.880
Z driver 29.814
ABC 11.229

Would probably pad the top of the low freq. driver with the crossover, and put an L pad on the tweeter, to match levels. XO at about 5K?

BTW this would be for HT use, anyone want to hazard a guess how low it will go? ( do you think I would still need a sub?)

What'cha think Zilla?

I have looking at this combo for some time, one of the best combo I can come up with is as follows:

1. 10" woofer from tone tubby super bass boy, about $104 each
2. compression driver from B&C De250 and RCF horn H100, $150 for combo or use DDS, CF Eng 90 horn instead.

cross at between 1.7-2.0 Khz. Cost of above parts is $250 per speaker.

I will use MJK worksheet to derive cabinet size. I have confidence that the above combo will sound good, efficiency >95db.

I am from Aussie land difficult to get good quality woofer here,I have item 2 above, this combo sounds very good. I will placing order for Tubby tone, if you don't like it buy Beyma 10BR60 or SM110/N instead.

cheers.

In US:

Eminence 10An, + APT-50 tweet, around $100 US per cabinet.

Crossover?

Point source sound from Coax.......

BIB cabinet.......

Just floating an idea for now, see which way the wind blows....

John

Eminence has both sealed, and vented cabinet designs for this combo too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.