Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

A little project I am working on. It's essentially a Martin King OB made from books. For those interested, the books are Alan Van Dine's Uncommon Structures, Unconventional Builders

nUQacxEl.jpg

My take on the pureaudioproject style OB.

Eminence 12LTA with super tweeter/phase plug. 2 GRS 15PF woofers. Powered and crossed with 2 Crown XLS1000 amps.

Frame is 80/20 industrial erector stuff. Fun to build and endless possibilities.

Attachments

• P1060025.JPG
    P1060025.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 2,054
  • P1060027.JPG
    P1060027.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 849
  • P1060030.JPG
    P1060030.JPG
    329.4 KB · Views: 825
  • P1060033.JPG
    P1060033.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 811
  • P1060040.JPG
    P1060040.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 694
  • P1060019.JPG
    P1060019.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 529
  • P1060015.JPG
    P1060015.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 651
  • P1060013.JPG
    P1060013.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 657
Wow that looks great! I hope that it sounds even better that they look.

And "being Dutch" my first thought was also about the erector stuff and its price tag...But it looks great...

Did thought about using Eminence Alpha 15A? Just wondering because I am planning a pretty similar build. And maybe I have to look at the GSR units.

Thanks guys. The 80/20 stuff was around $500 not including shipping. And, I already had some short extrusion pieces from leftover projects. Pure Audio wants about twice that for their frame. Another benefit to mine is its adjustability. I can make it wider or narrower if ever needed.

I had Alpha 15A's in for a while. I think the GRS's are a little bit better in this configuration. At least to my ears. This coming from a 15A fan :)

Thanks,
KC

Thanks guys. The 80/20 stuff was around $500 not including shipping. And, I already had some short extrusion pieces from leftover projects. Pure Audio wants about twice that for their frame. Another benefit to mine is its adjustability. I can make it wider or narrower if ever needed.

I had Alpha 15A's in for a while. I think the GRS's are a little bit better in this configuration. At least to my ears. This coming from a 15A fan :)

Thanks,
KC

Nice project. Would you mind posting a parts list for those that might want to build a pair??

kec, as a long term speaker builder (hobbiest) I believe your project must be one of the best sounding ever I've seen on the forum. I love the Eminence Beta 12lta and think it does things typical home hi-fi drivers can't - like recreate massive dynamics and scale with ease. 15 inch woofers just recreate bass in the home better than smaller powered subwoofers. I use Alpha 15s in my setup but have purchased Parts Express buyout Jamo 15" woofers years ago with similar specs and felt the Jamos sounded better - although they both work well. The Jamos, unfortunately, are no longer for sale and I wish I purchased more than 3 at $25 each! I top things off with a pro Eminence compression tweeter and think it works very well but would not discount other tweeters performing as well or even better. Your concentric build might even offer further imaging improvements. Regardless, I'd imagine your setup sounds wonderful. Enjoy!

Thanks Carl and Godzilla!

When I get a chance I'll put together a list of parts.

It does sound good. Really good if you ask me. I know some will say I need to use miniDSP or this and that to overcome this and that, but I went simple and am really impressed with the results (I do have an Ashly XR1001 on the side that I still need to try). My H frames with 15A's and the 12LTA on top was really a good sounding little system. Then I saw the Pure Audio stuff and loved the appearance of the design - and the versatility. First thing came to mind, 80/20. I love working with this stuff. Love the industrial look. Something that might have come out of Terminator 2 :)

Thanks,
KC