Ultimate OB Gallery - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 10:50 AM   #321
diyAudio Member

Default JohnK's "latest" dipole speakers?

Question for Geddes and John K

Looks very interesting. Not sure if this is the Nao Note. Footprint looks like the ESLs. A departure from his philosophy of narrow baffles.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
By the way Earl, here is a look at my latest OB system. Can be driven with a single amp. Has and F3 of between 25 and 30 Hz (depending on how the bass eq is set). Nominal sensitivity 90dB and max SPL for single speaker is better than 100 dB at 30 Hz.
100db at 30hz.. I can live with that

EDIT:

More info!

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=215092

http://www.musicanddesign.com/pubimages/NaO_DW_back.JPG

More interesting is John's observations:

Quote:
The only real problem was, as I discuss on my web sight, is that the wider baffle lowers the dipole peak and since the mid is still pretty omni directional above the peak there is a little dip in the response around 900 Hz. That could be corrected by offset mounting, but I insist on symmetric driver placement. But the wide baffle also placed the peak lower so that with the hybrid approach I can take advantage of that and cut the power to the mids and woofers way back (see active eq response dip centered at 180 Hz). This really frees up the system dynamics. Imaging is very good. Excellent depth as expected with an OB system. The image is also very stable. I don't (and never have) found any correlation to baffle width and image, given that there is room to set the system up correctly. Sound stage bigger than a narrow baffle system though. What I like about these speakers is that they have the sound of a big planar system, like the Dayton-Wrights or Martin-Logan Monoliths, but none of the beaming. The sound is very uniform as one moves around the room, sits or stands. And the sound good with Chopin or ZZ Top.

Last edited by gainphile; 14th June 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 19th June 2010, 02:19 PM   #322
VT67 is offline VT67  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Bass View Post
My clone of the Emerald Physics CS2:

That art thing or acoustic panel or whatever you call it, is that something you made yourself?

Regards
Old 8th July 2010, 06:30 PM   #323
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

My latest "makeshift" OB´s: EV SP12B woofers + EV 1823M drivers with unknown horns + unknown exponential tweeters on 40x23" plywood baffles. The most expensive part was the wood...
Active XO @ 900Hz between the woofers and the mid horns + single cap in series with the tweeters. With a bit of EQ they don´t sound too bad...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WEstyle.JPG (75.0 KB, 2733 views)
Old 20th July 2010, 04:47 AM   #324
diyAudio Member

Default Narrow Open Baffle

I am consider building a narrow open baffle (about 6" wide) MTM with wings that slant back @ 45 degrees to the main baffle and would be as tall as same. I am planning on Seas 11FGX (2) with a Dynaudio Esotech D260 in between. What is the group thought about such an arrangement

o o
o o
o o
o o
ooooooooooo
Old 20th July 2010, 08:05 AM   #325
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
These are Alpha15s, 6ND430 and Neo3 (non PDR) without backcup all in dipole mode thus.
Is the XO Active or Passive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Bass View Post
My clone of the Emerald Physics CS2
Beautiful. Unfortunately OBs require a lot of breathing room around them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
100db at 30hz.. I can live with that
http://www.musicanddesign.com/pubimages/NaO_DW_back.JPG
Very neat. What are the dimensions? They look very wide.
Old 20th July 2010, 06:17 PM   #326
diyAudio Member

Default Narrow Baffles

Actually the main baffles are 6 inches wide by about 24 inches tall. On each side of the main baffle is a wing that extends back about 6 inches at a 45 degree angle to the main baffle. I tried to draw it but the computer changed what I drew to nonsense. This MTM unit will sit on top of a woofer Unit (10inch) powered by a plate amp. The mid-tweeter unit will be passively crossed at 2500 Hz and equalized by an octave equalizer. Eventually I want to change the tweeter to a ribbon (Fountek NeoCD3).
Old 20th July 2010, 06:42 PM   #327
diyAudio Member

navin, active through Behringer DCX2496 but I think it would not be too difficult to drive them passive. Preliminar simulations I made say it should be possible to use 200 Hz and 3 kHz for LR 12 dB/oct filters with good result. But as I EQ the 6ND430 a little between 200 and 300 Hz to compensate for baffle loading loss one might have to use more bafflewidth.

/Erling
Old 12th August 2010, 10:21 PM   #328
diyAudio Member

Very original OB design:

My current OB experiment

Old 12th August 2010, 10:23 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

From the NaO family, by John K.

NaO Note Preview

Impressive measurements

Old 12th August 2010, 10:33 PM   #330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
That art thing or acoustic panel or whatever you call it, is that something you made yourself?

Regards
Off topic: I painted the panels which I ordered from VM Acoustics here in Denmark. The panels are named 'VM Diffusor'

Hide this!Advertise here!