Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Some semi-Open Baffle speakers:

tetra2.jpg

index.php

hi jamikl,

definitely better than in pensil. pensil can generate sufficient bass. nice imaging.

the ob can go louder as i biamp them, and definitely more solid on the bass.
typical melbourne house is big, so i guess u cant go wrong with them. :D

i m using beyma12cx now, with alpha15. they have more dynamics, higher extension, but suffer abit loss on imaging, as the comp driver is not dipole.

cheers
henry

Greg,

Bamboo plywood?

dave

Correct! One layer on front with a layer of mdf, then more bamboo and a back piece of good quality ply. 3" thick total. Super rigid to say the least. Masked off the front and sprayed the sides and back with Rustoleum textured. Not the typical stuff with big glops, but a newer kind with very small flecks of tan and red. Looks spectacular in person with the bamboo.

Greg

Hi Henry,
thanks for your comment. I am a bit surprised that the link within the pictures doesn´t seem to work.
I had a separate thread in a German forum in those days, but as the photos having been linked by imageshack have vanished in meantime, I have decided to put it all into a new gallery now.
Please use the following link:
Offene Schallwand mit Omnes Audio L8 und 2x Ciare P387, Lautsprecher - HIFI-FORUM
Here you will find all pictures including the details during construction.
Regards
Till

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your nice comments.

Hi Superlian, I fixed the rear supports with wooden dowels; one on the top and two each in the middle.

In the meantime, I had to exchange the upper dowels I used first by bigger ones as this construction proved not to be stable enough. If I had to do it all new, I would care for a more solid connection. But it seems to be ok now.

Hi Hylle, the bass are driven by two subwoofer amps, a Hypex DS 2.0 model, one each per side. I added some 4 dB at about 40 Hz which makes the system deliver all I need. May be it will lack a bit in the eyes of the hardcore-17Hz-earthquake-cinema-fraction ;), but as I am using it for music only, it is just perfect for me. Even extreme organ lows come with force and body. So it should be allright.

Regards
Till

ScanSpeak 10F / Usher 8137a / Dayton RSS315-HF

Just finished this 3 way build, all dipole. Scan 10F suprisingly good up top, crossed to Usher mid woofer at 1.8k, 12dB/oct passive. Bottom end supplied by Dayton RSS 12", supplies 120Hz down, active. Swing style bushing mount adjusts for offset, diffraction and isolation. Very well balanced presentation, in a 15" x 23" package.

Attachments

• dipole 1.jpg
    dipole 1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 540
  • dipole 2.jpg
    dipole 2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 816
Very nice built, congratulation, beautiful finish.Would you have some more pictures for us (i.e. rear)? I would like to hear a bit more about your listening experiences, if not too early at this stage...
Regards
Till

Thanks for the comment. Here's a quick picture from the side and rear. I will have the mate assembled sometime this week so I will be able to do some testing and be able to comment on their imaging, etc. First impressions are very positive and the swing mount has some promise. My swing mount design may offer the following advantages: (1) adjustable offset (2) isolates high frequency driver from baffle (3) better aligns acoustic center w/other drivers (4) no obstruction for rear radiation (5) easily swap other HF drivers for testing/evaluation. The mount consists of two slim cabinet door handles, rubber bushings, and 8-32 cap screws.

Attachments

• sexy dipole 2.jpg
    sexy dipole 2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 3,279
  • sexy dipole 3.jpg
    sexy dipole 3.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 3,292
Last edited by a moderator: