The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

Who will install thousands of loudspeakers in his livingroom wall :confused: For real?

- Elias

However, living in an anechoic chamber may result in trouble with some unregenerate spouses. Much more clever seem, construct a common model from recording room and playback room, as in the Holophony procedure. By those object based procedure, a combination of the model based and data based approach allows, constitute an common approach. In the near field of an large WFS loudspeaker field behind the silver screen, the playback room acoustics become subordinated matter. Thus, the common model allow subtracting playback room acoustic. Is easily comprehensible in this little animation:

http://www.holophony.net/pictures/WFS_transformation_principle.swf

We are at the work to build that. I hold the patent for the procedure since more as five years. The result will be the physikal reconstruction of the spatial sonic field.

Regards H.

Ambisonics has been doing the same since 70's. To separate the spatial sounds from the rendering.

- Elias

Is there anybody else besides you that still remembers Ambisonics? :)

P.S. Ambisonics and the 3DAA approach are not the same. Ambisonics is more like wave field synthesis with a limited number of loudspeakers whereas 3DAA really separates sound objects from playback. Ambisonics could act as a renderer for 3DAA content.

Last edited:
Never mind the silver screen :) But who will install thousands of loudspeakers behind it :confused: You also need thousands of amplifiers, one for each speaker.

- Elias

...you understand the principle, thanks for interest.

The loudspeakers are fixed in modules. The modules include the amplifiers. At four watts each we have four kW total power. Because of the perfect Loudspeaker adaptation ,the dynamics neraly unlimited, in principle.

The whole unit is connected via one light cable at the computer, which is rendering the 32 input channels to the 1024 speakers. That is not really a problem, from technical point of view, but also not really cheap.

H.

Measurements

While on the subject of reproduction and measurements, I would like to present a few points for serious consideration. In order not to waste forum space here, and perhaps go off at a tangent, I would invite you to take a look at "Measurements and the Environment" at my blog <http://sound-unboxed.blogspot.com/>.

Surely these are highly personal views, but if there are kindred spirits who share at least some of the points of view, it could lead on to a renewed look at measurements and our understanding of sound and reproduction.

I hope the more knowledgeable among us would start an appropriate new thread to address such 'borderline' issues.

Most sincerely.

Sound and Sense and Measurements

While on the subject of sound and sensible measurements, permit me to urge you, if you have a few minutes to spare and are open-minded about some 'lateral thinking' on stereo and realism, to visit < Sound... unboxed ! > and share your thoughts.

Whether you agree or disagree, I guess you too might share some of the problems raised by commonplace questions about reproduction, realism and the role of 2-channel stereo as we know it and implement it.

Thanks and regards.

Sorry

@Markus76: My intention was just what you had quoted, and I was trying not to 'hijack' this thread. When I need to advertise my blog, I shall do that properly rather than thru a hobbyist forum where we are picking each other's minds to arrive at happy solutions. Please dont assume that everybody's out to have their share of the eyeballs, sir.

I hope the more knowledgeable among us would start an appropriate new thread to address such 'borderline' issues.

oh well, but what exactly 'borderline' issues? All those issues were discussed many times in numerous threads on this forum. So what' s the point of starting one more?

use the "search" function instead, please

best,
graaf

Last edited:
@Graaf:
It is another post; these are the result of some discussions we had in our group locally, and I thought the application of better minds to such 'borderline' problems, and that too with an open mind, would lead to some sort of a new approach to reproduction rather than the very limited and inaccurate/confusing stereo, and I am already accused of seeking some advertisement for my blog! God!! Read it if you have the time, and think for yourself. Nobody here is in the business of selling snake oil, so far as I understand it. Like Linkwitz too agrees, accurate sound reproduction is not just clean FR and things like that.
Sorry for taking up valuable space and time.

Funny, my present experimental OB-OMNIs are apparently different than the rest....very focused and precise
But admittedly, I didnt expect that either, and its a big surprice
And driver are placed on the floor, which is even worse
I cannot work, but it does

please tinitus - would You be so kind and tell us more about Your setup, it's placement in the room and so on? :)

I brought this up because I saw the term "OB-OMNI", and thought of that NXT thread, and remembered tinitus happened to have several posts in that thread...

It doesn't matter what exactly tinitus had said over there. It's the whole concept of that NXT stuff, or so-called DML (distributed mode loudspeaker). It's very interesting - panel style, chaotic vibrations, bi-pole/almost omni radiation...

I brought this up because I saw the term "OB-OMNI", and thought of that NXT thread, and remembered tinitus happened to have several posts in that thread...

It doesn't matter what exactly tinitus had said over there. It's the whole concept of that NXT stuff, or so-called DML (distributed mode loudspeaker). It's very interesting - panel style, chaotic vibrations, bi-pole/almost omni radiation...

I see
yet experimental OB-OMNIs of tinitus mentioned by Him couple of times on this forum are not DMLs but conventional 2.5 way pistons

best,
graaf