The Advantages of Floor Coupled Up-Firing Speakers

I also tried vertical 0 deg tilt. This was actually hardest to localise. Now the high freq beam goes to listener feets.

high freq beam with 400 or 700 Hz 48 db/oct. low pass? :scratch:

It is due to HRTF in a sense that ITD is formed by it, although it is not a high freq phenomena.

in a sense ;) a very w i d e sense :)

I don't think there is a floor "reflected sound" below 400Hz in this configuration.

how so? :scratch:

The localisation is more likely due to the fact that head is not a sphere and neck is not connected in the middle bottom of it, nor the two ears are placed at the side spots of it but little behind. This results that with head sideways tilt, there will be change in ITD from the speaker itself.

You mean that in result of not being a sphere etc. human head gets asymmetrical? :confused:

No, most likely he placed the midrange and tweeter to (almost) ear level because if they are at the floor level too the image stays allways on the floor :D

not necessarily - as usual the proof of the pudding is in the eating - shorter Carlsson's designs, or even the Snell Type One - its problem for some listeners was that the soundstage was a bit lower but certainly not that "the image stays always at the floor level", not all reviewers noticed any problem at all, example here

Note that his speakers are not flooders.

designs with a midwoofer on top, firing up to the ceiling <2 kHz, without any reflecting elements, were flooders - what else?

they were not floor coupled but they were flooders anyway

Last edited:
About the localisation in the median plane:

Individual differences of sound-localization ability on median plane
Proceedings of 20th International Congress on Acoustics, ICA 2010
Takeo Funabashi, Yuko Watanabe, Tatsuya Shibata, and Hareo Hamada

Quote:
We analyze the relationship between inter-subject differences of localization ability
and pinna shape by the sound localization test on the median plane. We conducted a localization test for ten subjects
by using sound sources in the frontal quadrant of median plane on the upper hemisphere. The result shows there are
inter-subject differences for the localization ability and two subjects are hardly responded to the sound source.

Therefore results of the analysis suggest that individual differences of
localization ability were primarily related to the first principal component of the pinna shape.

So we can say, if you are lucky (or unlucky depending on the point of view) and having a specific pinna shape you can hardly localise sounds in the median plane at all.

Interesting is with this Tannoy coaxial the effect is not so noticeable while moving around
TANNOY Devon HPD 315A perfect restored by KENRICK SOUND????? ??? - YouTube

By the way, those Japanese videos are great :D

- Elias

It's still there - most of the youtube never gets to a point where it breaks the gradient (..you can't see it because of the dust-cap). Only at about 2:30 does he really move that far off-axis. I hear it easily with my eyes closed when it happens. Still, not quite as noticeable - however..

Additionally:

1. the track doesn't have a heavy mono-emphasis compared to My Rainbow Race (which also happens to be a very "dry" recording), and
2. the tannoy crossover doesn't extend quite as low in freq. as the JBL, and
3. that JBL is particularly good IMO (..though lacking midrange clarity and tone below the 2" compression driver). The particular Tannoy has a bit better tone in the mids, but it's otherwise out-classed.

Yes, Kenrick Sound overall does a nice job with those youtubes, thanks in large part to the Rodes stereo mic and a stable ring-mount for the camera. A fair bit of the music he uses is pretty good to IMO (and quite diverse as well).

About the localisation in the median plane:

Individual differences of sound-localization ability on median plane
Proceedings of 20th International Congress on Acoustics, ICA 2010
Takeo Funabashi, Yuko Watanabe, Tatsuya Shibata, and Hareo Hamada

Quote:

So we can say, if you are lucky (or unlucky depending on the point of view) and having a specific pinna shape you can hardly localise sounds in the median plane at all.

Blauert cites a similar phenomenon in "Spatial Hearing". Some people could hear better with other people's pinnas.

Blauert cites a similar phenomenon in "Spatial Hearing". Some people could hear better with other people's pinnas.

In the study I referenced they found 2 out of 10 (= 20%) people cannot localise sounds in the median plane. And this is due to differences in pinna shapes.

I have said before that some people have "moulding defects" in their perception system. This study serves as a proof of that statement.

I strongly think that pinna has influence of high freq localisation in the horisontal plane as well, for some people but not necessarily for all. This is the reason, I think, why I can perceive tweeters as sound sources in normal speakers. Not every person can perceive them in the same way as sound sources. This is most likely due to differences in pinna shapes.

- Elias

how so? there is a wavefront, there is a reflective surface - how no reflection??

my argument is about onset, the first 90 degrees of a wave

..Elias said: "in this configuration". ;)

In that configuration at 400 Hz the floor acts like it's part of the baffle.. How often do you have a lower freq. reflection off of (and sourced from) the baffle? There will however be a diffraction issue that will raise the intensity at the junction between actual baffle and floor - quite possibly enough so that it's more than 2db higher than the driver source (at the same vertical plane).

I sometimes think that Roy Allison's floor "dip" is nothing more than the natural baffle-step loss coupled with some slightly lower freq. gain via that floor diffraction. Lowering the mid-bass driver to the floor essentially pushes the gain from diffraction up to the point of the baffle-step loss - essentially filling in that dip.

Last edited:
In the study I referenced they found 2 out of 10 (= 20%) people cannot localise sounds in the median plane. And this is due to differences in pinna shapes.

- Elias

Not so fast. ;)

"Therefore results of the analysis suggest that individual differences of
localization ability were primarily related to the first principal component of the pinna shape."

Really, they should have modified the pinna shape of those who couldn't perform the localization to see if it made a difference..

Last edited:
In that configuration at 400 Hz the floor acts like it's part of the baffle.. How often do you have a lower freq. reflection off of (and sourced from) the baffle? There will however be a diffraction issue that will raise the intensity at the junction between actual baffle and floor - quite possibly enough so that it's more than 2db higher than the driver source (at the same vertical plane).

I sometimes think that Roy Allison's floor "dip" is nothing more than the natural baffle-step loss coupled with some slightly lower freq. gain via that floor diffraction. Lowering the mid-bass driver to the floor essentially pushes the gain from diffraction up to the point of the baffle-step loss - essentially filling in that dip.

now please consider all this in the time domain instead

You are suggesting there is another mechanism to perceive floor reflection than high freq pinna cues or mid-low freq ITD cues (head pivot) ?

who - me??? am I suggesting???

again - please see:

Francis Rumsey, Tim McCormick "Sound and Recording"

Linkwitz's 2009 AES Paper

Human Systems Integration Division @ NASA Ames - Projects

http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/teaching/course-notes/documents/67/1569-SoundLocalisation1.pdf

it is not that "I am suggesting" "somethig new" - it is in the literature and research

Your proposal is solely a monaural cue ? What is it then ?

not necessarily monaural, perhaps it's an ITD cue - but not ITD of the first wavefront but ITD of the floor reflected wavefront

I have already explained above.

And how floor reflection differs from ceiling reflection regarding this 'new cue' ?

good question

perhaps the explanation can be the fact that "ceilings" are ..er ..very uncommon in the fields or in the woods :p

OTOH the ground reflection, as one guy has aptly put it:
is a very strong distance cue at close range under semi-anechoic conditions (i.e. if you want to gauge the distance of that sabre-toothed tiger or the potential mating candidate).

Re: [Sursound] Distance perception

(BTW - an interesting guy this Eng. Jörn Nettingsmeier, he works in ambisonics, WFS etc.: stackingdwarves.net)

perhaps that's why our auditory system is locked on the ground/floor reflection but disregards the ceiling reflection (in the time domain)

furthermore pinna cues in the median plane seem to be not very reliable - what follows from the research You have quoted

so we have this ground plane triangulation

Last edited:
meanwhile...

another flooder approach, similar to smaller Allison speakers (ie. these are not floor coupled speakers) - Dick Olsher's CBAE - "ceiling boundary ambience enhacement":

When it comes to recreating a believable spatial impression in a typical room from two-channel stereo with clarity and focus, there's the right way (CBAE) and there's the wrong way (the rest of the market).
The woofer is pointed toward the ceiling and the tweeter faces the listener. This facilitates several objectives:

-Immerse the listener in a soundfield that provides the correct time signature of reflected energy. This is essential in the midrange, as the midrange is responsible for most of a recording's ambience.
-Enables a 2 - 3 dB boost in the midrange with a 10 to 30 millisecond delay relative to the direct sound. This requires a ceiling height in the range from 8' to 16'. The first 30 milliseconds define the Haas Window: sound arriving outside this time win dow is no longer fused with the direct sound and is perceived as an echo.
-Minimize the generation of early reflection in the upper midrange that color sound and diffuse image focus. Speakers that are omnidirectional through the octave from 2 to 4 kHz have this problem. Omnidirectional radiators in general splash lots of sou nd off sidewalls creating strong early reflections within a time window of 10 milliseconds.
-Distortion products from the woofer beam along the woofer axis toward the ceiling and away from the listener. This promotes a greater sense of clarity.

Tip #11

Magic Cube Loudspeaker Kit (without cabinets)

interesting

I remember visiting Olsher's website many years ago, even before starting stereolit experiments and long before the flooder idea was born

I forgot about it later, regretably now some content of the website is missing

Last edited:
not necessarily monaural, perhaps it's an ITD cue - but not ITD of the first wavefront but ITD of the floor reflected wavefront

But ITD for direct sound and for floor reflection are the same, cone of confusion, no difference between them.

Unless head is pivoted sideways, which in my test revealed the speaker in the floor. But then the cue is ITD from the direct sound.