Ultimate Loudspeaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2008, 04:07 PM   #1
jpetek is offline jpetek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Ultimate Loudspeaker

Hello,

I want to build a highend box like this one

http://www.vonschweikert.com/zvr11.htm

or

http://www.goldmund.com/systems/fullsystem_2-channel/

or similar.

Now my question:

1. Does anybody know what chassis they use?
2. Did anybody make a similar project?

Thank you for your help.

Josef
Old 23rd February 2008, 05:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

1) Not sure what you mean by "chassis" - do you mean the
enclosure?

2) What kind of budget do you have?

3) Do you have a large to very large room for these?
Old 23rd February 2008, 05:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

sorry chassis means driver.
Yes I have the room about 100 squaremeter.
without Limit for the money.

regards

Josef
Old 23rd February 2008, 05:56 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

WHY ? they dont look very ultimate to me...more like flawed designs, made to rip off peoples money...but I suppose that those who can afford them can also afford to be cheated
Old 23rd February 2008, 06:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That strikes me as a bit of overkill. Unless you have an auditorium for a listening room these are going to be way too much.

Still, if you have a small fortune laying around and a lot of time on your hands, more power to you; go for it. Just expect it to take a lot of time and cost a lot of money.

How about starting with something more modest and achievable like this-

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...=MillenniumIII

or these-

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...=MagnaCumLaude

Keep in mind that the The VR 11 Special Edition Von Schweikiert speakers you link to cost $150,000. Do you really have that kind of money to spend?

Steve/bluewizard
Old 23rd February 2008, 06:19 PM   #6
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Having read german audio magazines as klang und ton in the past, i think i know why you assume those are good loudspeakers. read a little more on this board and you will probably come to the conclusions that they are not, just like i did. those magazines just spill out lies about audio, they are there to sell advertising space, not to inform people. The expensive = good equation propagated by those ad mags isnt true. good comes from good engineering and this can not be seen immediatly, its rather subtle.
Old 23rd February 2008, 06:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Josef -

I don't mean to be condescending here, but when you say your budget is unlimited then I would have to ask why don't you simply buy a pair of the commercial models and be done with it?

Or, if your budget is not quite that unlimited and you want to build, I would recommend you go out and actually audition some of these ultra high-end (at least price-wise) speakers, if you haven't done so already, and make sure you're building what you want to actually HEAR, not what you want to look cool in your room.

Having said that, there aren't a lot of DIY projects out there that are quite so ambitious - most of us are on a budget substantially below yours, and we build smaller - often just 2-way designs, with or without subwoofers. We go for bang for the buck, and many here will likely tell you that a well-designed speaker will sound good whether it's big or small.

For such an ambitious project I would say you'd need to select all the drivers first, then have a very competent designer design the enclosure and crossover for you - software will help of course, so you should consider investing in that also. A professional cabinet maker/woodworker would be my choice for building the cabinets.

If you can force yourself to think on a slightly smaller scale, look at some of the designs at Humble Homemade HiFi and Troels Gravesson - many very high-end three-way designs on those sights that may just peak your interest.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd February 2008, 07:50 PM   #8
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

It seems to be a common disease among "megabuck" loudspeakers to use far too high driver spacing in dīAppolito designs and even two dome tweeters (von Schweikert, Goldmund, Dynaudio, Wilson WAMM). Does this let them look more impressive?

At a highend show (there is one in Frankfurt, if I remember correctly) one can hear more or less all speaker concepts, very useful before starting a mega-project. Implementation has become easier in times of DEQX.
Old 23rd February 2008, 08:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, I am sure this monsters sound good. How good and how much betters the other speakers, thatís another question. I believe that the ultimate purpose of VR-11 is extremely high SPL without much of distortion. I guess 100 square meters will work for this.
You should know that on this forum people are very technical and also very skeptical.
Sales peach about Bass Slam and pase arenít for us.
My first impression and bad taste coming from the description of VR is brands of capacitors and inductors. I use Solen perfect lay and capacitors in my bookshelf speakers and ProAc2.5 clones. They are good components and probably as good as other higher end brands but VR pretends to be the best of the best so why not Mundorf? I mean, I would assume that a $150 000 speaker system will use all the best components, right?
Anyways, I suspect that the idea here is to create a pair of insane speakers for 1/3 or Ĺ price of the original.
As a pro cabinetmaker I could do similar or more complicated cabinets in any exotic veneer ($5-$10 per foot) with finish of your choice for about 20k. Job would take 2 month.
You also will need a really good x-over designer and someone to measure the system after itís assembled and twick it.

The bang for the buck sound (for as long as itís good) is not always an object. Design and appearance make the statement of the owner.

Highs to 50 kHz make a difference if you are a dog. Youíll be lucky if you hear 20kHz.
Old 23rd February 2008, 08:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Dear All,

I already spoke with German designer about this project and we found a very good soultion.

Maybe you guys knows a better one.

Our solution is a line array with 7 drivers for miidle/high and 3 seperate Dipol for the bass per channel.

The reason why i didnt buy the VR11 is very simple. if you look to the costs of driver of this loudspeaker there is no relation to the price they want.

I know it is not easy BUT if you look to diyAudio.com they say projects by the fanatics, for the fanatics...

My room is big enough for this kind of speaker. i have now a Infinity Beta.

And I tested a lot of big speakers in my room.

regards

Josef

Hide this!Advertise here!