Ultimate Loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I'd just like to mention that I build something like this for myself last year... 4-way active, digital linear-phase x-over (computer software solution). They are big, but dont need a big room. I listen to them at 2 meter distance only.

Drivers are:
2x Beyma 18P1200nd
2x Seas W22EX001
2x Seas W15CH001
1x Mundorf AMT2340

Oh... and here's a picture:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

That looks great, very similar to what I have as my vision for my upcoming build, except JBL2225, 2123 and BMS 4590/2+oblate speriod flare. TH subs below 60Hz. Still sketching and modelling before I get into my mate's workshop to build them.

Do you have any more pics or a link to a thread etc?

jpetek said:
Our solution is a line array with 7 drivers for miidle/high and 3 seperate Dipol for the bass per channel.

Driver center to center distance in a line array has to be closer than 1/4 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced, or else you get lobing and comb filtering from this frequency upwards, which will sound horrible.

jpetek said:
our solution is very special. We do not use normal driver, we use full range driver special design for this speaker on a open front without lobing.

The sensity will be 120 db/w!

regards

Josef

With drivers, that are small enough not to produce such effects in a line array, you wont be able to get a maxspl of 120dB with only seven. Besides, seven such small drivers wouldnt even be a line array with their few centimeters in total added length. And to speak of 120dB/w is just a joke, right? Since that is impossible.

I would doubt your designers knowledge, if he doesnt consider such very basic facts. Maybe look for someone who kows what he does.

MaVo said:

With drivers, that are small enough not to produce such effects in a line array, you wont be able to get a maxspl of 120dB with only seven. Besides, seven such small drivers wouldnt even be a line array with their few centimeters in total added length. And to speak of 120dB/w is just a joke, right? Since that is impossible.

I would doubt your designers knowledge, if he doesnt consider such very basic facts. Maybe look for someone who kows what he does.

I don´t know the sensitivity figures of the Aero, but the Rubanoide does 103 dB, although its radiation pattern is almost omnidirectional. Some large, beamy fullrange drivers do up to 110dB in the treble, so maybe close to 120dB in an array is possible.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Alright, don't take it the wrong way, but come on: "...the Arakis transcends the boundaries of believability."

But it looks doable, aside from the half-ton swoopy carbon fiber and billet (guessing?) cabinet. I suggest building it in MDF (and concrete) first, and then improving on it later if you still like it.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Mind you, Shin had to convert his amazing design from 3way into a 3.5way coupling out one midrange doing midbass only...Shin solved it in his own way, but a minor detail that need to be solved before copying
This is not as straightforward as it may look

Gryphon has some nice designs too...I suppose they use some EQ in bass

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/default2.asp

Attachments

• trident_stor (medium).jpg
    trident_stor (medium).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 943
Hi,

I have a nodisclosure with the builder of the Line Array. So I cannot tell you which driver we use but it is a driver very close to lowther but from germany...

My first idea was to build the Arrakis. But with the problems of the cabinet I change to the Line Array which is much easier to build.

If I found anybody which can build the cabinet of the Arrakis (in MDF/HDF and Hewaphon inside) perfect but the solution from StogErik looks very nice.

Seems to be a very good system.

regards

Josef

I thought money was no object. Cabinets for Arracis could be building by any experienced cabinetmaker. CNC capability would make it a 1 weeks job. 3 days to draw and program, and 2 days to cut parts. Arracis is sold for $34000, meaning the manufacturer gets at list $15000 per pair, Meaning each speaker has a budget of $3500 or less to produce it. Can’t do it without CNC on the commercial bases.
But a week of the well equipped shop can run you how much?

From the German Physiks site:

Hawaphon.... consists of a polymer sheet containing a matrix of small cells filled with fine steel shot. It adds mass to the panels to reduce the resonant frequency and the ability of the balls in each cell to move against each other provides a very effective way of converting vibrational energy into heat. Originally developed as an anti-surveillance measure for use in military and government buildings, Hawaphon achieves broadband attenuation of structure-borne sound of more than 50dB, a truly remarkable figure. Loudspeaker enclosure panels treated with Hawaphon generate almost no spurious output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.