Ultimate Loudspeaker - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2008, 08:35 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

I have a fair amount of experience at designing and building HE speaker systems, both horn and DR and I am very skeptical about that number until I see something substantive.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:45 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I'd just like to mention that I build something like this for myself last year... 4-way active, digital linear-phase x-over (computer software solution). They are big, but dont need a big room. I listen to them at 2 meter distance only.

Drivers are:
2x Beyma 18P1200nd
2x Seas W22EX001
2x Seas W15CH001
1x Mundorf AMT2340

Oh... and here's a picture:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:59 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

That looks great, very similar to what I have as my vision for my upcoming build, except JBL2225, 2123 and BMS 4590/2+oblate speriod flare. TH subs below 60Hz. Still sketching and modelling before I get into my mate's workshop to build them.

Do you have any more pics or a link to a thread etc?
Old 24th February 2008, 10:12 AM   #24
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpetek
Our solution is a line array with 7 drivers for miidle/high and 3 seperate Dipol for the bass per channel.
Driver center to center distance in a line array has to be closer than 1/4 wavelength of the highest frequency to be reproduced, or else you get lobing and comb filtering from this frequency upwards, which will sound horrible.

Quote:
Originally posted by jpetek
our solution is very special. We do not use normal driver, we use full range driver special design for this speaker on a open front without lobing.

The sensity will be 120 db/w!

regards

Josef
With drivers, that are small enough not to produce such effects in a line array, you wont be able to get a maxspl of 120dB with only seven. Besides, seven such small drivers wouldnt even be a line array with their few centimeters in total added length. And to speak of 120dB/w is just a joke, right? Since that is impossible.

I would doubt your designers knowledge, if he doesnt consider such very basic facts. Maybe look for someone who kows what he does.
Old 24th February 2008, 10:20 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Below is a picture from my listening room. Its a LEDE room, 35 sq meters.

I can start a new thread about this system. Hang on...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th February 2008, 10:41 AM   #26
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaVo

With drivers, that are small enough not to produce such effects in a line array, you wont be able to get a maxspl of 120dB with only seven. Besides, seven such small drivers wouldnt even be a line array with their few centimeters in total added length. And to speak of 120dB/w is just a joke, right? Since that is impossible.

I would doubt your designers knowledge, if he doesnt consider such very basic facts. Maybe look for someone who kows what he does.

I donīt know the sensitivity figures of the Aero, but the Rubanoide does 103 dB, although its radiation pattern is almost omnidirectional. Some large, beamy fullrange drivers do up to 110dB in the treble, so maybe close to 120dB in an array is possible.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:14 PM   #27
MaVo is offline MaVo  Germany
diyAudio Member

but those large drivers are, as you said, large, and dont add their radiation in the treble because of their size.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

StigErik's admirable system aside, in light of the continuous threads that ask for an ultimate mega-buck physics-defying system, I propose a whole new separate category of 'fantasy systems' so as not to pollute the 'loudspeaker' category.
Old 24th February 2008, 12:25 PM   #29
jpetek is offline jpetek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Dear All,

first I want to build this loudspeaker:

http://www.rockporttechnologies.com/ arrakis.

I have acess to the driver and the crossover.

My problem is do not find anybody which is able to design and build this cabinet. (HDF and Hewaphon).

Maybe anybody knows somebody in Germany?

Josef
Old 24th February 2008, 12:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Alright, don't take it the wrong way, but come on: "...the Arakis transcends the boundaries of believability."

But it looks doable, aside from the half-ton swoopy carbon fiber and billet (guessing?) cabinet. I suggest building it in MDF (and concrete) first, and then improving on it later if you still like it.

Hide this!Advertise here!