Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Getting a positive start on your OB project!

Mekr

Thank you for your interest in the Manzanita OB.

As for a floor standing OB, there are several considerations to be made before a cost effective, viable design should be undertaken. Many potentially good designs are possible.

I suspect you have something in mind. One major consideration is driver availability. Don't want to make recommendations based around drivers that you may not have access to.

Could you share your priorities with us? Cost range, performance goals, anything unusual you may have to work around, so on. And what driver brands you have reasonable access to.

Looking forward to your reply.

John

I know this is not directed to me, but like to respond. I have access to usual speaker web sites in US. PE, madisound etc.

I like the "cost-effective" solution. I am mainly into 2 speaker traditional music, usually with flac file on PC with a DAC (cheap USB soundcard). I enjoy popular vocal/small ensemble jazz, no rock/metal... Do not need super bass at all. Also like to use my 50W/ch high power D-amp, in a small room.

thanks,

Mekr

Thank you for your interest in the Manzanita OB.

As for a floor standing OB, there are several considerations to be made before a cost effective, viable design should be undertaken. Many potentially good designs are possible.

I suspect you have something in mind. One major consideration is driver availability. Don't want to make recommendations based around drivers that you may not have access to.

Could you share your priorities with us? Cost range, performance goals, anything unusual you may have to work around, so on. And what driver brands you have reasonable access to.

Looking forward to your reply.

John
Hello John,
I will have to source everything including drivers and xover components from abroad,my main priority is emotional,and delicate music with the lifelike presence of the musicians in the room.Even if i have to spend more for this i can spend more also.
thanks

I built the speakers according to the first few posts i.e. crossover from post #3

The 25ohm resistor is way off the mark, luckily I bought 10 off them, so have doubled it up to produce 12.5ohm as suggested by a few posts.

The sound is still sour however.

3 x 25ohm in parallel sounds a little better (i.e. 8.3ohm), but I could spend weeks http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project-28.html#post2247787trying different combinations. I'm guessing somewhere nearer 5ohm is about right?

Anyone want to offer me some values to try?

here is a question....

i wonder if its possible to make a pair of those based on 8" woofers but also for very low power ( 5-10W of listening ) eventhough conected to a 80w amplifier

the problem is that these are supposed to be "very" near field located in my shop just in front of me on my working bench

distance be tween them might be no more than 2.5 meters and they can be also placed no more than 20 cm from the wall ...

do you think worth trying ?

there is not going to be any eq or so .... so i think its not going to work
Hi Sakis , You can put 'em in an H-frame ...it will become halfway between dipole and aperiodic :rolleyes::confused:
If you already have the original baffle of the 8" woofers , just cut a square around the hole .
I did it in a 3 way speaker with cheap speakers ( 4 Ohm ) I had around and it works good (the mid is in a cube box , tweeter outside ,on top ) .

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,324
Last edited:
The OB project does not seem complicated construction, and according to the responses also sounds good.

Not long ago I had VR4-JR, that sounds great but required very expensive amplification to produce high-quality sound. I decided to try to build something cheap and good that did not require expensive amplification.

So, waiting for more information on new models, especially for floor standing OB version. :)

Hello Simon

Thank you for your question. Its' been along time since Pano and I worked on the orginal Manzinita with the 27 TDFC tweeter. Could you tell me your current crossover configuration? Want to make sure I know where you are before trying to get you where you want to be.

John