Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 36 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2011, 04:13 PM   #351
dayvo is offline dayvo  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard the Alpairs personally, but based on the results I'm enjoying with the CSS FR125's, the A7 would probably sound great. Are you thinking active or passive crossover?
Old 5th April 2011, 07:33 PM   #352
diyAudio Member

Active DEQX
Old 6th April 2011, 03:47 AM   #353
dayvo is offline dayvo  United States
diyAudio Member

That should make it easy to dial-in. It's certainly worth a try.

I use a MiniDSP with the crossover set at 200 Hz (24 db/octave both ways). In addition, the Peerless 12 inch have a PEQ filter that ramps off 11 db as the frequency goes from 50 to 200 Hz and the CSS have a broad PEQ filter that reduces up to 4 db to compenate for the dipole baffle peak between about 500 and 3000 Hz. My best friend and my wife both think they sound great (so do I).

I'm using AudioTools on an iPad (available for iPhone, too) to take RTA and FFT measurements in room.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 05, 10 43 43 PM.jpg (101.1 KB, 1097 views)
Old 29th April 2011, 06:06 PM   #354
schro20 is offline schro20  United States
diyAudio Member

Default And another pair (actually two pairs) goes live!

Together with a friend we built two pairs. Mine just went home this past weekend. This is the original Manzanita design. All passive with the crossover done p2p on the back of the baffle (see tail picture). It is currently on provisional stands in a provisional location getting broken in. Driven at this time by a six channel Rotel unit (two bridged). Boy, these babies drink up the power... (But you all knew that... ) The surface is painted with chalk board paint and will be beautified with a hand drawn chalk painting.

So far so good. I am not yet very happy with the accuracy of the imaging I must admit. But the tonal balance is good. The baffle vibrates quite a bit and I can now see why people consider "naked" speakers. Maybe that's next. But first I want to run some experiments with active crossover (Behringer) to see what's possible in that direction. Curious to see whether the sound would benefit from that.

Overall a very satisfying project.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1s.JPG (576.3 KB, 1018 views)
File Type: jpg photo4s.JPG (700.0 KB, 946 views)
File Type: jpg photo6s.JPG (630.8 KB, 907 views)
File Type: jpg photo9s.JPG (562.9 KB, 887 views)
Old 29th April 2011, 07:07 PM   #355
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thumbs up Yeah! Way cool

- thanks for posting that. Glad you had fun.

Yes, these beasts are power hungry. That's the trade-off to get bass out of an OB that size. No free lunch.
After you've gotten used to them, try adding the triangular side wing as seen in the top of the thread. It should flesh them out a bit and may change the imaging. Let us know what you think.

Then after you've lived with them for a few months, you may want to try a small fullrange driver in place of the tweeter. But we'll get into that later. BTW, which tweeter did you use?
Old 29th April 2011, 08:25 PM   #356
SAC is offline SAC  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have a similar dilemma to some suggestions here; Alpair 6M or Scanspeak 10F, to replace my current Monacor 4", which crosses to the Neo3PDR at about 5K (both "naked"). I like the marketing/engineering behind the Alpair, but the 10F gets more favourable measurements according to some on the forums, and is used successfully in a similar configuration in JohnKs Nao Note.

I suspect the Alpair 6m is the better choice all the way up (per its full-range design), and with a tweeter coming in at 6K+, the SS10F is a better choice (hence marketed as a mid). Similar price in the UK as well.

P.S. I have an 8" and dual alpha15s below, all on a narrow flat baffle.

Scanspeak 10F
10F/8424G00 - Scan-Speak 4 inch wideband coated fiberglass - Europe Audio

Alpair 6M
Alpair 6M - Markaudio Alpair fullrange driver Gold - Europe Audio
Old 30th April 2011, 02:10 AM   #357
schro20 is offline schro20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
After you've gotten used to them, try adding the triangular side wing
BTW, which tweeter did you use?
Actually, they have the triangle as per the original instructions though the images don't show that. I used the cheaper original tweeter.

Peter
Old 30th April 2011, 02:18 AM   #358
diyAudio Moderator

Cool, thanks.
Old 30th April 2011, 03:56 PM   #359
vaughn is offline vaughn  United States
diyAudio Member

Just ordered drivers to build the original version, I figure if it doesn't work out at least I will have some very nice drivers for a future project!

My room placement is going to vary a bit from the recommendation. They will be about 3 feet from side walls and approx. 10 feet from the back wall. An odd arrangement but it is what I have to work with. Hopefully the balance won't be too skewed without that back wall.

I'm also very interested to see where this goes with a wider bandwidth driver on top, or possibly conversion to a 3 way. I've got some EL70's right now that could potentially work for the top end but I'm assuming these have already been considered. I'll post pics when they are up and running.
Old 1st May 2011, 02:39 AM   #360
diyAudio Moderator

Default Big OB fun.

Here is the Mazanita family in all its present glory. 3 of these pairs will be at Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF) this year. John will tell you more about them. And yes, one of those has a 21" woofer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manzanita-family.jpg (69.2 KB, 951 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!