TDL RTL2 upgrades - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2008, 06:18 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Added the 0.39uf CrossCaps today and fitted new plinths.

Plinths are Sainsburys chopping boards with Monacor spikes fitted. Makes a much larger footprint that the original plinth. Sits on top of 'Homebase' slate garden slabs. The speaker is really solid now and bareley rocks at all. Later I will fit 3 screws directly into the floor boards for the slabs to sit on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rtl2 plinth.jpg (63.0 KB, 323 views)
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:22 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

CrossCaps made the treble sound a little fuller. I have modded my.CD player since fitting the 5.6uf and the sound got a little bright again. Since fitting the 0.39uF the sound is warmer and the treble more open
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.6_0.39uf jantzen crosscaps.jpg (59.5 KB, 318 views)
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:56 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Neat!

I forgot that I'd also placed the speakers on 12" square concrete paving slabs. The extra height and firm foundation are helpful. The slabs were drilled with dimples to receive the spikes, and varnished to seal them, reducing dust from the concrete surface.

Ed
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:17 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Cheers Ed.

By the way, you can get cheap GRanite off cuts on ebay. Looks the buisness. Also look up granite chopping boards on ebay, cheap as chips and ideal speaker platforms!

If you fancy doing simmlar to me ther are some nwe old stock CAstle parts on ebay. They have various plinths all pre drilled ready for spikes.

link
Old 17th August 2011, 10:39 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Funny story about a pair of TDL RTL 2’s , I bought a pair when I was at university, mainly because I was poor and TDL had a great reputation in high end speakers. I was stunned when I hooked them up to my Marantz amp and CD , the track that got me was Pink Floyd , The Wall , Part 1 , that bass intro, it made me fall in love with them. Anyway to cut a long story short, I had these TDL’s through 9 years of marriage a couple of kids, various pets, a flood and they never took any harm. Anyway I ended up separating from the wife, and starting a new life, unfortunately without my TDL’s which my ex-wife told the divorce lawyer she had sold along with anything else she considered to be mine – including a very nice collection of Ian Banks signed first editions .. ( still not forgiven her for that) in fact its one of the main reason we haven’t actually talked in the last 10 years lol. Which brings me back to the TDL’s , I saw a pair on eBay , I’ve seen several ever since I began my hunt for them, but they were all down south and pick up only, these would be delivered. So I bid, and including delivery cost me 62, the actual breakdown of cost was 24 delivery and 38 for the speakers, for me that was a bargain. So I got them a few days later and hooked them up to my amp, got to say .. they feel tired now I think they sounded better new , anyway my youngest daughter came around for a visit the other night and after seeing the TDL’s said that her Mother had a pair in the front room she used at plant stands as she didn’t have any other need for them. ( she had sold my amp and cd player many moons ago) What !! so I asked her if she would be an intermediary for me and ask if her mum would sell me the speakers ? So she went away and few days later my dad rang me to say that my ex had been to his house and dropped off two speakers, they are taking up room can I please come and pick them up !? Of course I would lol So , now I have two matching pairs of TDL RTL2’s mk I’s including my originals .. BTW she didn’t ask for any money.. no doubt she had checked them out on ebay and seen they were not worth much.. but still it was nice of her to let me have them back.
Anyway .. I would like some advice.. my plan is to upgrade one of the pairs using the tweaks in this thread, and keep the other as stock for rears on my surround sound set up for now. I have .. about ish 300 budget for new drivers, I have a separate budget for the crossovers new wiring , linings and posts etc.
I like all types of music, so I’m looking for drivers that have a wide range appeal, although I want to get the tightness of the bass back that I heard on the new original pair ( I think though reading the thread that’s more to do with lining and packing of the base line?).
So your recommendations will be appreciated, the second pair I will go down a different route and tweak them more for classical and guitar music later or just generally tinker with them.
Old 17th August 2011, 02:16 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

I think I will go with the Vouge Gold Kit from Wilmslow Audio, it seems like a good buy.
Old 17th August 2011, 08:02 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Great story!

Will you be installing the Vogue kit into your RTL2 cabinets?

EDIT: More in this thread click here

Last edited by mikesnowdon; 17th August 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 17th August 2011, 09:22 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike, the guys at Wilmslow Audio are seeing if it will fit
Old 18th August 2011, 10:41 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

If any one is interested I have been experimenting with placement of the TDL's in this thread

room and placement

its interesting if you have a pair

I honestly dont know why anyone who has a pair of these speakers would ever want to sell them.. maybe modern day manufactures should have a very close look at them, i think a rebirth would be a massive seller..

Last edited by Fivetide; 18th August 2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:54 AM   #30
danq is offline danq  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for TDL RTL2 bass-mid unit

Hi, this is my first post

My son managed to destroy one of the bass-mid units of my TDL RTL2's. Now I am looking for replacements. I really don't want to throw out the speakers.

Does anybody have a spare driver lying around, which he/she could sell me?

Since members of this forum are into modding their speakers to make them sound better, I guess that, perhaps, there may be a chance. Of course, if somebody can suggest an alternative solution, that would be great also.

Thanks and best wishes

Daniel

Hide this!Advertise here!