TDL RTL2 upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Added the 0.39uf CrossCaps today and fitted new plinths.

Plinths are Sainsburys chopping boards with Monacor spikes fitted. Makes a much larger footprint that the original plinth. Sits on top of 'Homebase' slate garden slabs. The speaker is really solid now and bareley rocks at all. Later I will fit 3 screws directly into the floor boards for the slabs to sit on.

Attachments

• rtl2 plinth.jpg
    rtl2 plinth.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 501
Cheers Ed.

By the way, you can get cheap GRanite off cuts on ebay. Looks the buisness. Also look up granite chopping boards on ebay, cheap as chips and ideal speaker platforms!

If you fancy doing simmlar to me ther are some nwe old stock CAstle parts on ebay. They have various plinths all pre drilled ready for spikes.

link

Funny story about a pair of TDL RTL 2’s , I bought a pair when I was at university, mainly because I was poor and TDL had a great reputation in high end speakers. I was stunned when I hooked them up to my Marantz amp and CD , the track that got me was Pink Floyd , The Wall , Part 1 , that bass intro, it made me fall in love with them. Anyway to cut a long story short, I had these TDL’s through 9 years of marriage a couple of kids, various pets, a flood and they never took any harm. Anyway I ended up separating from the wife, and starting a new life, unfortunately without my TDL’s which my ex-wife told the divorce lawyer she had sold along with anything else she considered to be mine – including a very nice collection of Ian Banks signed first editions .. ( still not forgiven her for that) in fact its one of the main reason we haven’t actually talked in the last 10 years lol. Which brings me back to the TDL’s , I saw a pair on eBay , I’ve seen several ever since I began my hunt for them, but they were all down south and pick up only, these would be delivered. So I bid, and including delivery cost me £62, the actual breakdown of cost was £24 delivery and £38 for the speakers, for me that was a bargain. So I got them a few days later and hooked them up to my amp, got to say .. they feel tired now I think they sounded better new , anyway my youngest daughter came around for a visit the other night and after seeing the TDL’s said that her Mother had a pair in the front room she used at plant stands as she didn’t have any other need for them. ( she had sold my amp and cd player many moons ago) What !! so I asked her if she would be an intermediary for me and ask if her mum would sell me the speakers ? So she went away and few days later my dad rang me to say that my ex had been to his house and dropped off two speakers, they are taking up room can I please come and pick them up !? Of course I would lol So , now I have two matching pairs of TDL RTL2’s mk I’s including my originals .. BTW she didn’t ask for any money.. no doubt she had checked them out on ebay and seen they were not worth much.. but still it was nice of her to let me have them back.
Anyway .. I would like some advice.. my plan is to upgrade one of the pairs using the tweaks in this thread, and keep the other as stock for rears on my surround sound set up for now. I have .. about ish £300 budget for new drivers, I have a separate budget for the crossovers new wiring , linings and posts etc.
I like all types of music, so I’m looking for drivers that have a wide range appeal, although I want to get the tightness of the bass back that I heard on the new original pair ( I think though reading the thread that’s more to do with lining and packing of the base line?).
So your recommendations will be appreciated, the second pair I will go down a different route and tweak them more for classical and guitar music later or just generally tinker with them.

If any one is interested I have been experimenting with placement of the TDL's in this thread

room and placement

its interesting if you have a pair

I honestly dont know why anyone who has a pair of these speakers would ever want to sell them.. maybe modern day manufactures should have a very close look at them, i think a rebirth would be a massive seller..

Last edited:
Looking for TDL RTL2 bass-mid unit

Hi, this is my first post

My son managed to destroy one of the bass-mid units of my TDL RTL2's. Now I am looking for replacements. I really don't want to throw out the speakers.

Does anybody have a spare driver lying around, which he/she could sell me?

Since members of this forum are into modding their speakers to make them sound better, I guess that, perhaps, there may be a chance. Of course, if somebody can suggest an alternative solution, that would be great also.

Thanks and best wishes

Daniel

Hi, this is my first post

My son managed to destroy one of the bass-mid units of my TDL RTL2's. Now I am looking for replacements. I really don't want to throw out the speakers.

Does anybody have a spare driver lying around, which he/she could sell me?

Since members of this forum are into modding their speakers to make them sound better, I guess that, perhaps, there may be a chance. Of course, if somebody can suggest an alternative solution, that would be great also.

Thanks and best wishes

Daniel

If anyone wants to buy the drivers I should have all 4 spare in the next month.

TDL RTL2s

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired a pair of the aforementioned speakers from my local council tip (yes you read that right, a tip):D for £4.00 +/- fuel to get them home (and yes you also read that right):D

Usually once they go in the designated area that's it, off to be crushed but we took them over to the buying area to "acquire" them;)

The cabinets are a bit weather damaged but this is repairable. the main cones are faultless but were stiff with cold and standing and it has taken 9 hours of mixed CDs to rescue them, they are now running perfectly. I have since determined that the HF units are also working faultlessly. I plan to upgrade the internal wiring as per an interesting thread on this site as it sounds int-interesting, I plan to modify the Bass's as per the MK2s with a foot skirt as the current arrangement makes them look top heavy and somewhat silly, has anybody out there got access to any data sheets/reviews for this model if so please send to chrisroybater@gmail.com .:cool:

If the voice coils doesn't scratch, they are probably OK. I built my own system years ago, and never made any front grills for them. The dust caps of both the woofers and mids, as well as the tiny soft domes of the Scan Speak tweeters , have acted as virtual magnets for visiting little fingers. I have pulles the dust caps with needle pins, tape and various other ideas literally dozens of times. Doesn't seem to have hurt them, except the woofers dust caps are no longer perfectly spherical..... as long as you don't have scratchy sounds.... :)

Thread revival :)

Ive recently bought a nice pair of rtl2's (used to have a pair of 3's 15 years ago and wanted some smaller 2's)

one of the cross-overs isnt running the tweeter ... at this point I may aswell upgrade the x-over components and it should sort the prop out along the way

any help to links of where to buy these please? .... Im in the U.K so please no overseas ... or even ebay links will do me

thanks hopefully someone with TDL experience will still remember what these little speakers comprise of... cheers :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.