"Karlsonology" (Karlson enclosures/technique) what's happenin' ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2007, 04:00 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default "Karlsonology" (Karlson enclosures/technique) what's happenin' ?

what's happening on the forefront of Karlson research and application?

18" vented coupler
Click the image to open in full size.

18" sealed klam

Videos of klam and K8 (with Sammisound 8" fullrange)

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ssurek8lc4.flv

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?i...jector1qu2.flv

John Karlson in 1964 audio clips from Roger Russell's collection
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=hug&n=123514
Old 12th August 2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Banned

Freddi-

Love the visualization of the pressurization/compression/transformation with the air koupling using the TP
Old 12th August 2007, 04:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hey Magnetar - just about bet Rosie-Klam could bend wings up hear the high pressure zone (?) - - Rosie was the only vented Klam I've seen so far and probably extended 1/3 octave lower than my shabby klam18 - CN's had rear chamber sized about like Karlson and Karlson-Oliver models for elevated PA use.

oh - WN's "Rocket type" of a few years back are probably good players - Polk coax converted into "koax" w. waveguide tube - that would alter the "reverb" mix vs regular operation -- a passive k-tube can be used at dustcap/whizzer to do similar

6.5" klam by WN - I think nose taper angles are 6 & 12 degrees

one 8" k can make a lotta noise - I like K's pretty well.
Old 12th August 2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Banned

I need to get the Rosie Klams out of retirement and load them with my Beyma 15 coaxials (four inch 2441 diaphragms) and play a bit with them. Never tried the coax approach in the Klams and always crossed them below 350 due to paranoia with the 'dip' measurements when I went higher.

The wings on rosie required underlayment board to lower audible resonance when driven hard. The rest of the cabinets are 2.25" or more thick (heavy)- The Beyma will really take some power with it's 4.5" coil. I imagine it will be impressive driven with a Crown K2 on the bottom biamped with my PP el84 amp
Old 12th August 2007, 05:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how Rosie play compared to K15 but should be interesting---my klam probably (?) sat too low for coax

K15 with moderate-good quality coax can be a lotta fun and better imo than reflex when large dynamics and low distortion are needed - U need one K15 out of light birch playwood for reference

starting flare and area of the slot can have a lot of subjective influence - -a little bit of damping inserted in the first inch or two of a coupler will alter its reverb, apparent HF and "speed"

when I had a 21.25"W x 16"D x 32" high K using 23 degree baffle and 10 degree port board, sound was too constricted with 5/8" gap compared to a 1.2" gap - --- this just depends. Acoustic's 27 inch high 15" coupler 115BK (copy of KHYBOE - I think?) worked pretty well with gaps from 1/8" to ~1/2" - maybe those gaps varied mainly due to wings & dado tolerance - 115BK with the vent choked in the middle might make a fun little midbass coupler - kinda like a wider K12

with 21-22.5" width, 23 degrees baffle layback and 10 degree port board doesn't have the "worst" RTA dip - dunno how much this matters

here's a 1/6 octave outdoors graph of a 7.4 cubic foot external bulk coupler stuffed with an 18" woofer. It had an additional stub attached to top of the front pipe something like Ken Lehman's more sophisticated method - (maybe it could be tapered the same rate as the port board)

IIRC there was 80 liters in this coupler's rear chamber after loading the 103g mms 18

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/859...chcapfrcd7.jpg

like most K this could hit pretty hard - I had my panst legs flap with 300W peaks on good drum trax and cone did not move much considering the otuput

there might be sweet spots of baffle angle and coupler depth from wings to panels

Old 12th August 2007, 06:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

one more thing Magnetar - even notice a K-thread can barely hobble to 10 replies while a pipe speaker might do 50,000 + ?
Old 12th August 2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by freddi
one more thing Magnetar - even notice a K-thread can barely hobble to 10 replies while a pipe speaker might do 50,000 + ?
Yup, I had plenty of 'high end' audiophiles listen to the Klams and every one of them pretty much agreed it was the best bass they have ever heard - Me, I feel it 's the best for the bulk, but the best bass in my rectangular concrete bunker 'man cave' so far is twelve high efficiency 10" drivers on open baffles. It has a lot to do with room and how it's driven. Bass horns can be good in the room too (still used for subs!) but have major bulk issues. The horns that sound best don't allow me to take full advantage of my 108" high def CRT---------- just too big

Pipes? well I guess there are good and bad ones, I played with them years ago. not my cup of rum. Too one note resonant and fake sounding
Old 12th August 2007, 07:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

shoudl be nice woofer - - used 1-21" Madison per channel for awhile with Beta 12cx/12LTA and liked it overall - are you still using Foster wideband ?

for 8 cubic foot extenal bulk range K's do well and K12 at 3.3 cubic foot aren't real shabby if theres a sub

somewhere I have a pic of your first kobbled K with 12" and topped with Heil AMT - do you think it'll play about the same on dust-cap-axis if inverted and baffle arranged to get a simple rectangular box?

K's can play good nuff overall to warrent their existance (????) - my limited flirts with 'foolrange' in reflex and pipe aren't getting it - must need "blh" ???? open baffle with Ch250 are pleasant

Fig 1 from 1955 reflective patent
Old 12th August 2007, 07:26 PM   #9
Banned

I had four 21's and like it but the twelve tens are more tuneful with better impact and 'snap'

The first Klam with the 12 is still here but liked the 15 a lot more - AFA using the front chamber versus not I remember they measured quite a bit different but the overall effect was gain in the bass and more tuneful and percussive sound.

Foster wideband? Not sure what you mean - I had a Fostex wideband pair here (they are toys, LOL) and have used pairs of the pro Audax 170's for MTM mids - the Audax's are very good

Will the Karlson ever become the fad of the week like 'beyond the Ariel' ? I doubt it, there's not enough there for people to 'simulate' and argue over with their great knowledge and computer software programs.
Old 12th August 2007, 07:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I thought you had a vertical array of Madisound's Foster wideband fives next to 10" (?)

dunno if Ariel could play big drums like a K15-18 (?)

"37-23-37" must not simulate Julie Newmar

Hide this!Advertise here!