My new unique (i think) DIY project (pics!!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys. This past year in school I came up with an idea I thought would look pretty cool, and just materialized it. Take a looksy:

This shows the just the bottle, before glued to the mounts.

inside2.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's vented in the back, so I figured I shouldnt stuff it with insulation but rather insulate the walls...but that was hard to do. Anyone have any ideas that are better than what you see?

Now here it is, finished. It is still resting on the book and stacks of paper as an extra precaution, because the glue I used takes a week or so to "fully" cure.

out1.jpg

out2.jpg

out3.jpg

out4.jpg

How do they sound? Well, I don't have any plots to back me up, but they sound great (when paired with a sub, obviously). Then again, you have to try pretty hard to get an EJ-Jordan to not sound great.

Nonetheless, I'm not quite satisfied. I find the EJ-Jordan's rectangular mount clashing with the style of this speaker. That, and its too expensive and nice for me to confine it to a bottle. I'm looking for a cheaper, but still good, fullrange whose style would go well with this type of speaker. Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking?

A recycled enclosure! Could be a theme. Somewhere I saw a full-range Tang Band driver with a bamboo fiber cone (renewable material).

I'd imagine there are some profound resonances in the enclosure. We've all blown across the top of a bottle. For the interior lining...something recycled or renewable that would provide damping...some ideas: wine corks (fun to collect but a pain to glue all those in though), glue in carved-up blocks of styrofoam packing material, a big bunch of soda straws packed in tight along the length of the bottle...man, my brain is tired now.

If you did a sealed version you might stuff it with the insulation I saw on PBS' This Old House made from shredded fabric (blue jeans?).

FYI the best adhesive I've found for bonding glass to most other materials is JB Weld.

thanks for the awesome feedback guys!

yea...I actually haven't read that book haha. Only thing I have time to read these days is national geographic (and by read I mean mainly look at pictures)

I would have trimmed the baffle even with the bottle, but the problem is the JX53 mount, its max width is wider than the bottle at the top of the mount. For my next one, I will want it flush, so I'm looking for attractive and good (and preferably a lot cheaper than the JX53) full range drivers. Any ideas?

And I'm thinking about trying my hand at a two way one, with two different bottles for the woofer and tweeter. Maybe some alcohol that comes in different sizes so its the same brand just different sizes for each. I think that would be cool. Only problem is I don't really know how to build crossovers (though I do know a lot about circuits), and I don't really have the time (read: urge) to teach myself now. Can you buy premade but adjustable crossovers? (scoffing ensues)

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys. It's very encouraging.

Scoffing definitely will ensue - but if you just want a premade crossover that will kind of work alright, then go for an active crossover. Active crossovers require 2 amp channels per speaker, but are insensitive to speaker impedance and care a lot less about matching sensitivity of woofer and tweeter.

That's a very sweet looking speaker, by the way. I really like how the glass came out. There are a lot of reasons that you may or may not understand yet that are making this a potentially awesome enclosure, sonically. I agree with the suggestion to seal it and stuff it with fluff. You could even seal the back with something porous to let it leak a little for an aperiodic effect.

Thanks for posting those pictures.

I bet the wine barrel would make a good sub enclosure...also, last night at dinner I saw a huge 27 liter bottle of wine with my name all over it. Though it would be a chore to cut.

gychang, the person you're asking's bottle was plastic. But if you'd like me to tell you, I cut it with a glass cutter. It takes a while to get the hang of it but I find it loads of fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.