My new unique (i think) DIY project (pics!!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you had many spare bottles,you could try cutting them with heat and gold water.

Put a piece of cotton thread dipped in petrol,around the bottle ,where you want to cut it.Lid the thread and after a while dip the bottle in gold water.

After some practice,makes a very nice cut to a smaller bottles I have tried.

in my quest to learn how to do this (earlier, not for this project), I had tried that and didn't get any results. It just doesnt seem to be able to cut the thickness of champagne bottles. For me, class cutter, then heat up with candle, then plunge in cold water seems to work best.

Yea i saw those, but the cutter + candle cost about 5$ total....and the learning experience built character.

OK my secret's out, I did not actually enjoy the contents of this bottle. For my initial design idea, I needed a bottle whose diameter was wider than the diagonal of the JX53 mount. Not many standard wine or champagne bottles fulfill that requirement, so I went to the liquor store to search. The only one that was wide enough (and not a huge handle) was $11 sake. I took one sip, spat it out, and threw the rest away.

But now I know that I can get away with smaller bottles, so I will enjoy the contents of the next bottle.

Don't know how I missed this before...

I cut bottles routinely for research; the boutique cutters never worked for me, so I use a bandsaw with a diamond dust blade or a cut-off (brick) saw. Both use water cooling and make a smooth, easy cut. A few days doing this and you'll be convinced that the bottle makers have the worst tolerances of just about any industry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.