Measuring a Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
measuring a tweeter

Hello, I just learnt, with the help of richie00boy, how to measure a woofer. I now want to make a small pair of bookshelves to go on my pc. I will be using an Audax 6" fibreglass driver, which I have measured and I want to use a tweeter which its T?S parameters are unknown. With a 2 way passive in mind, what do I need to measure on the tweeter, to mate it to the mid/bass unit.

Cheers Mike:)

Finding fs is the same for a woofer or tweeter, I just use a series resistance and measure the voltage drops. The peak voltage drop on the tweeter is then the Fs. A graph like below showing the impedence and frequency response will give you a good start.

You can use a crossover calculator but may find some experimentation is needed. With the woofer especially, make sure you are using the impedence at the crossover point or compensate for the voice coil inductance with a zobel.

Example Dayton Tweeter

Doh, confused again

Hi ocool_15,

I'm confused again, can you explain this a little clearer. I have to admit because its worded different,( no offence) its harder to understand. I wire up my system like this
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
With the woofer especially, make sure you are using the impedence at the crossover point or compensate for the voice coil inductance with a zobel.
Can you explain this any easier.

Cheers Mike.:D

Re: mikee55

Since a speakers impedence will vary with frequency the values of the components will also vary.

Given a hypothetical speaker
8 ohms nominal
6 ohms dcr
voice coil inductance of .3mH

If you calculate the value for a 6dB/oct low pass on a 8 ohm speaker at 3200hz you will get a .398mH inductor value.

If that same woofer has a inductance of .3mH the impedence will be approximately = speaker dcr + 6.032 ohms at 3200hz. A 12.032 ohm load will actually require about a .598mH inductor, not the .398mH value calculated above.

That is part of the reason why you may want to implement a zobel as detailed below.

Here is some information on a zobel. Note the 2 calculators will provide different answers.
Definition
Zobel Calculator

Better Definition and formula

Your method for finding impedence may vary from mine but thats ok as long as you get the same result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.