Beyond the Ariel

In case some might like to look at the CSD of that „cut out“ reflections :

Full dampening
CSD_TDfulldamping_reflections_only.png

Less dampening
CSD_TDlessdamping_reflections_only.png

Zero dampening
CSD_TDzerodamping_reflections_only.png

Last CSD plot (zero dampening) tells us that the peak at roughly 1kHz is building up after some time :

FR_TDzerodamping_reflections_only.png

Michael

Last edited:
I was really scratching my head about this wiggle of the TD15M. Looked up half a dozen responses of 12" & 15" drivers at Brandon's Driver Measurements - drivervault and all had that same thing more or less. :bulb:

I think it is a delayed damped back-bounce from the shockwave through the type of spider used for that sort of pro drivers, isn't it? Or is that too simple?

If it were stable (linear) and predictible in character pre-distortion of the driving current (per FIR-filter in the digital domain) should be able to correct for this, trying to terminate the reflection mechanically. Essentially the same strategy that digital room-equalization tries to use, but this time the dimension of the problem is 1, it's 1D and therefore much better suited to impulse response correction techniques, to the extend that the effects are not too non-linear (drifts included).

Ony may argue though if it's worth the effort, or favorable at all, besides the "digital stuff" involved. Well, maybe that delayed wiggle is part of the trademark sound of this class of drivers...

Last edited:
I think it is a delayed damped back-bounce from the shockwave through the type of spider used for that sort of pro drivers, isn't it? Or is that too simple?

Delay time of 2.3ms seems to be too long for that to enter the picture IMO

*If* its in the driver itself, I'm rather with John K that it may be from cone modes in break up.
There is another reflection to be identified earlier on (and slighty higher in frequency) but not exactly half of that 2.3ms - so it might or might not be part of the mechanism - for sure its *not* a simple looped reflection, otherwise time would be pretty exactly halved and also we should see pronounced subsequent reflections later on.

There is also a specialty with those speakers in general - the are more of a horn . actually a moving horn - than other speakers, as they have no dust cap and hence more "horn length"
It could well be we see an interference (beat) of the sound created at the throat+ "amplified by the horn" with the sound created at the rim.

Michael

Last edited:
Yes Michael, seems you are right. I've gone through the recent posts more thoroughly and have to agree that it most likely is breakup (and not a cabinet reflection either... Ockham... now I got it). Anyway, interesting how it sounds in slow-mo and how long the delay is...

Micheal, check back a few pages for my graphs on a pro 12" driver and the effects of damping the cone on both the impulse and break up.

Dan

Are you referring to this one ?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-138.html#post2257478

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-138.html#post2257509

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-138.html#post2257524

If so - what are you telling us ?
I didn't got the point and also how its related to Dan's measurements ?

Michael

Want to see what the FR looks like?

Is this a test? Yes. I'd like to see the FR plot.

I'm guessing it looks like a dominant peak at a frequency in the neighborhood of 1.5 KHz, modulated by something about one-seventh of that frequency. I'm tempted to cheat and do some simulations to check my guesses and avoid exposing my ignorance, but on a Friday night I'll go for broke and place my bet.

Few

Is this a test? Yes. I'd like to see the FR plot.

I'm guessing it looks like a dominant peak at a frequency in the neighborhood of 1.5 KHz, modulated by something about one-seventh of that frequency. I'm tempted to cheat and do some simulations to check my guesses and avoid exposing my ignorance, but on a Friday night I'll go for broke and place my bet.

Few

Just having a little fun. Pretty good guess. Here is the FR:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What this is, and most likely what the driver problem is, is 3 high Q resonances closely spaced, as shown in the FR form the windowed driver impulse. The driver is radiating three closely spaced frequencies at elivated amplitrudes which give rise to beats. That is why the impulse appears to die out then rise again. It is not a reflection or diffraction, it is just the manifestation of beats due to the poorly damped, resonant maechanical system. The impulse reflects the beat frequency which the rise and fall is the envelope. The envelope decays over time because the resonances are (perhaps only slightly) damped.

I listened to Gary's TD15M impulse response at very low spead (1/40 speed) and I think one can clearly identify a dampened back wall reflection. Following up there is a small amplitude but only slowly decaying train of brighter echoes until the first wall/floor reflections appear and the echo contours slowly disintegrate more and more into reverb.
Klaus

Looking at an enlarged picture (100ms at 60dB resolution) I'd say your description of the sonic pattern form mere listening to the IR response was pretty spot on - no ? :up:
Though we are looking at - and you were listening to - a loooooot of room interaction here too.

TDlessdamping_-60db_100ms.png

normalization not needed - hence a non-normalized plot.. ;)
As seen it takes quite some tome to decay to -40dB -60 dB in such a room - a looot of bouncing around until then....

Michael

Last edited:
I was really scratching my head about this wiggle of the TD15M. Looked up half a dozen responses of 12" & 15" drivers at Brandon's Driver Measurements - drivervault and all had that same thing more or less. :bulb:

If it were stable (linear) and predictible in character pre-distortion of the driving current (per FIR-filter in the digital domain) should be able to correct for this, trying to terminate the reflection mechanically. Essentially the same strategy that digital room-equalization tries to use, but this time the dimension of the problem is 1, it's 1D and therefore much better suited to impulse response correction techniques, to the extend that the effects are not too non-linear (drifts included).

Ony may argue though if it's worth the effort, or favorable at all, besides the "digital stuff" involved. Well, maybe that delayed wiggle is part of the trademark sound of this class of drivers...
In the US, I would recommend talking with McKenzie Acoustical Design.

In the US, I would recommend talking with McKenzie Acoustical Design.

I'm pretty sure this company will be more than happy to sell miracle boxes developed by "innovative science" to any believers.

LOL

If you would like to do some investigation that proves otherwise - reread about CMP, only few pages back...
Saves you money by dampening too high expectations.

Michael

Last edited:
A few TB mods were posted by him in this forum.

Ok - by reading some further I've seen he does *not* sell magic boxes (EQing stuff), so I was plain wrong - sorry .
Treating the diaphragn itself is an other thing all together!

Could you possibly point me there ?

Michael

Last edited: