Beyond the Ariel - Page 252 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2007, 10:48 PM   #2511
R.I.P.

Hi Dobias,

When I used carpet rolls beside a baffle they were three turns of thick carpet but no internal tube. Overall diams between 9 and 12".

I started with them symmetrical (like fig-8) but ended up rolling them backwards to widen the front angle and close the rear.
I also fitted a single carpet layer like a cabinet top over them supported by expanded metal grille.

Reproduction was nicely damped, but I've no room for them on a permanent basis.
(Wife would prefer something as thin as a drainpipe!)

Cheers ........... Graham.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:06 AM   #2512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
Lynn,

<snip>

It's going on 7 months now, so it's time for actual building to become part of rehab. The rest of the guys have no excuse for not actually having built anything during this thread. Hands on experience is so important with OB, and that's what has enabled Magnetar and myself to hone in on our goals.

Happy building,

John
"..rest of the guys...not actually having built anything during this thread..."

Say what?? I've built several, and still continue tweaking...post 2471 of this thread for instance...

...not to mention post 21 here...

Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

I s'ppose, since I'm not using "full range" boutique mega$$$ cone drivers (which seem to be all the rage here) and have achieved excellent results with the dreaded "wispy, fizzy, etc." planar magnetics many folks appear to hate, nor do I have any commercial credentials (or agenda) in the audio field, none of this work qualifies...

Oh well, not my loss, I'll just continue to listen to the incredibly lifelike full range dipole linesource sound I've achieved after 39 years of building horns, subs, OB's, PR's, etc ...

John L.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:41 AM   #2513
pdan is offline pdan  Europe
diyAudio Member

In Praise Of Shadows

As a brief interlude may I offer up the following taken from Junichiro Tanziaki's luminous essay "In Praise Of Shadows', written during the late twenties:

And had we invented the phonograph and the radio,how much more faithfully they would reproduce the special character of our voices and our music.Japanese music is above all a music of reticence,of atmosphere.When recorded, or amplified by a loudspeaker,the greater part of the charm is lost.In conversation ,too, we prefer the soft voice, the understatement.Most important of all are the pauses.Yet the phonograph and radio render these moments of silence utterly lifeless. And so we distort the arts themselves to curry favour for them with the machines. These machines are inventions of Westerners, and are, as we might expect,well suited to the Western arts. But precisely on this account they put our own arts at a great disadvantage.

Cilla
Old 29th October 2007, 08:32 AM   #2514
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Hi

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetar

When using a pair of woofers I found two 21" drivers (.7 QTS) was good, but not as good as 5 or 6 high qts 10's. The tens sound free from the box, or more realistic if you keep live music sound as your perspective. The 12's may sound free too. Free- when listening to live music bass has a homogenize sound that floats through the room into your body without a sense of 'bass' hifi sound or reproduced sound through a loudspeaker system. This character is very difficult to achieve , even with bass horns. The dipoles will do it! I beleive the dipole radiation and lack of box colorations is the reason BUT you need to be able to move a lot of air too with out compression or distortion to distract your free feeling.

I also high pass my bass drivers- this lowers the movement in the bottom octave and increases the dynamic range. It really cleans things up. 50 cycles seem to be the best place with the 10's.

Magnetar, how did you arrange all these 10"s? Any additional sub below 50 Hz used ?

Greetings
Michael
Old 29th October 2007, 11:08 AM   #2515
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mige0
Hi

Magnetar, how did you arrange all these 10"s? Any additional sub below 50 Hz used ?

Greetings
Michael
Hello,

I have a post here:
My Dipoles

I use a horn loaded sub loaded with the frightening JBL 2242H
Old 29th October 2007, 01:47 PM   #2516
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have just looked at the RAAL website and from all the posted comments there this one specially caught my eye.

Quote:
Being a long time user of RAAL ribbons, I have always had considerable problems which are probably going to keep coming up in the future. It has been very difficult to find an adequate partner for them, be it mid-bass or mid units. More or less, only custom built loudspeakers can match these extremely demanding ribbons. With every new project, I face the same time consuming struggle. It often happens that, while listening to other systems without RAAL ribbons, I have to ask: “Excuse me, but are your tweeters working properly?” These ribbons are not capable of hiding or diminishing anything at all. You are able to hear the details from the recording that recording engineers certainly don’t want you to hear. Way to go, Alex! Keep revealing the truth to us in the future!
That's exactly what I'm a bit afraid off, too find a good match for them. I really don't know how they compare to the Raven or Aurum Cantus ribbons in terms of body at the lower end of the spectrum but what I have found very difficult with them is the match to the midrange. These ribbons are fast, very fast. Combining them with a midrange is difficult. Anyone out here who has tried them at home for a longer period of time in compare with other ribbons.
Old 29th October 2007, 02:27 PM   #2517
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sjef
I have found very difficult with them is the match to the midrange. These ribbons are fast, very fast. Combining them with a midrange is difficult. Anyone out here who has tried them at home for a longer period of time in compare with other ribbons.
A *good* compression driver or *maybe* a pair of PR170MO Audax. IMO a good compression driver will eat it up dynamically though. The ribbon may fail if you want to keep up without compromise-

Here is a speaker system I built with the G1 - The owner (very particular audiophile) LOVES them. The bass is a straight horn loaded with EV 15L and the mids are the 16 ohm JBL 2123J's , series network, first order crossed around 1.6K - the tens were used because they went lower than the Audax and have much higher sensitivity. At the time the owner had 45 amps - They seem to keep up fine for him. The JBL is not your run of the mill driver.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:41 PM   #2518
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
I have Monacor DT400 in 400Hz Tractrix that measures 600-18000Hz with +/- 0,5dB (6.8uF added)! No phase cancellation. Efficiency is 104dB/1W/1m.

What do you think about using Monacor SP-15A/350NEO with 105dB? I think it would be an interesting project.
Old 30th October 2007, 10:26 PM   #2519
diyAudio Member

Lynn how do you plan to get a hold the 18Sound 8NMB420? The info I'm getting is the US distro is not importing those or the 6NMB420, both of which I'm trying to get a hold of for testing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th October 2007, 10:47 PM   #2520
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by augerpro
Lynn how do you plan to get a hold the 18Sound 8NMB420? The info I'm getting is the US distro is not importing those or the 6NMB420, both of which I'm trying to get a hold of for testing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine and I purchased 4 of the 8NMB420's last month from Universal Music LLC in Miami, FL.

No problem, he called them with a credit card number and they were on a truck in two-days. I don't know how complete the inventory is, but they've got the 8NMD420's

Edward

Hide this!Advertise here!