Is this the setup I want?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using the miniDSP-in-a-box for quite a while, and I am generally happy with the results. However, I am concerned about the analog input to the miniDSP. This means Computer>>DAC>ADC>processing>DAC. I am looking to avoid the initial DAC>ADC conversion.

I do not want to play with kits and stacks. I build speakers, not electronics. We are all idiot-savants, aren't we. So....

I am thinking of upgrading to the nanoDIGI-in-a-Box. My computer only has USB output, but USB>SPDIF/Toslink converters are readily available. I can then go into the nanoDIGI SPDIF and SPDIF to DAC's and then on the the amps.

Question: Will the nanoDIGI upsample all input to 24/192? If so, I do not want to do any SRC in the player.

Thoughts?

Bob

Thanks, Dave. I assume that the nanoDIGI will not attempt to resample a 24/96 input. If so, I get to decide whether the SRC in my player sounds different/better than the hardware SRC.

Another related topic: I read an article extolling the vast improvement it SQ of a $5000 UBS>SPDIF converter over a $100 one. Can this really be true? It would seem to me that if the output bits are the same as the input bits, the conversion should be transparent. All of the damage to the digital signal happens in the DAC conversion to analog. Am I totally wrong?

Bob

Unfortunately yes, digital signals can suffer due to noisy power supply, poor grounding, clocking issues... It is a shame that to many audio components of this type are still designed/built on subjective performance.

I've just ordered a few pieces from miniDSP, one being the miniStreamer which is basically a USB > S/PDIF & I2S sound card. There's a brief objective review on there site forum which shows the unit to have a THD+N of ~ -93dB [0.0022%). Not amazing, but good enough for real world applications.

Paul

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This may be something of interest here: I was wondering if the minDSP affects SQ so I did this test of measuring the response of a speaker with and without miniDSP. Results were surprising: miniDSP actually flattened the phase of a fullrange driver. The frequency response curve was identical with and without above the XO point. There was additional overshoot in the impulse response but not bad. Subjectively I could not hear the difference, nor could I measure it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/247598-nautaloss-ref-monitor-26.html#post3808837

My biggest gripe is that the input impedance of the miniDSP is rather low and makes me lose 11dB of input line level signal so my amps need a preamp or change of gain setting if I want the same peak SPL.

It is easier said than done, though, and most DACs make no attempt at any sort of jitter-cleaning, or have improperly implemented digital inputs which will nicely couple ground and common mode noise from the source into the signal... at least the DIGI has asynchronous sample rate converter I believe.

One more question, then I will go away. :D

My computer has HDMI, USB and headphone outputs, so I am committed to a conversion to SPDIF. I got a USB>>SPDIF converter that offers both TosLink and coax, as does the nanoDIGI. From what I have read, TosLink is noisier that coax, although I don't hear any difference. At least TosLink offers galvanic isolation. Any advise?

Bob

TOSLINK produces much more jitter at the receiver because the optical detector introduces noise, and the light intensity is very low. It is specced to not corrupt the bits and cost $1, not 1 cent more. So it is back to the question wether the DAC cares or not.

If there is an ASRC, it shouldn't matter (in theory). If you don't hear a difference, maybe it works as it should !

Galvanic isolation is nice.

hi , is the USB/SPDIF converter better sounding than the SPDIF of a Asus xonar essence soundboard ?

If this was aimed at me, a third-party sound card is not possible. The computer at the heart of my system is a laptop. My choices of audio I/O are HDMI, USB and headphone. I could have found an HDMI>>SPDIF converter, but hanging a stiff HDMI cable from the laptop is a pain.

Bob

Bob:

I am also thinking of going nano-digi into two dacs for two way stereo. Are you controlling volume from your music player of from the nano-dgi? My dacs (Emotiva) also have volume controls, so I guess I could set the four individual speaker levels in the nano-digi and control the volume from the DACs. Not sure what is better? The DAC's have analog volume controls not digital

To the experts here. Instead of starting a new thread, a quick question regarding the NanoDIGI and jitter from the sources. If one's sources, using coaxial or toslink outputs already benefit from a jitter reducing product such as the Monarchy DIP, should it be left in place between source and the inputs of the NanoDIGI? Or after the Nano, before the DACs?

BTW, for volume control of my (future) 6 channel Nano setup ( Kef LS50 monitors plus 4 subs), I purchased a NuForce MCA-18 preamp, seems like a nice, transparent unit.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
The Monarchy DIP is based around a CS8427 and it boosts the drive level up quite a bit higher than the S/PDIF standard. If you have a long cable run between source and nanoDIGI it might be of benefit.
However, I don't think the DIP will recover the S/PDIF clock or "dejitter" your source any better than the onboard chip of the nanoDIGI unit.

If you have digital sources only, I don't see any reason to use the MCP-18 preamp. The nanoDIGI onboard volume control works well.
Oh, you're considering putting the preamp downstream of the nanoDIGI, yes?

Cheers,

Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.