Is this the setup I want?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Dave. The reason I asked about the Monarchy unit was after reading an old article from Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio where he stated that equipment with ASRC may be effected by incoming signals with jitter. Not an issue here I guess?

Yes the analog preamp is down stream. I'm driving both consumer and pro amps, and it gives me the proper drive and connections for both. Necessary? probably not, but I do like what it does to the soundstage, etc. compared to what I had before.

Just starting to get the bits and pieces together to do this upgrade, I will be using my existing CI VDA-2 DAC for the KEFs, and have ordered two of those Fiio D3s for the sub channels. Plan on ordering the NanoDIGI next month.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2001
Ah, I see. You just need to be careful how you program the nanoDIGI unit. Unless you attenuate upstream, any EQ programmed above 0db has the potential to cause digital clipping within the nanoDIGI and your DAC's. All shelving filters, peaks, etc, should be executed with negative numbers.

Cheers,

Dave.

Just want to say, got the Nano hooked up without the extra DIP needed and it sounds fine. Did get thrown for a loop at first with the factory routing scheme (everything was mono!), but thanks to a post in the MiniDSP forum (answered by Davey :) ) good to go now.

Made some shorty digital cables for between the Nano and the FiiO DACs out of spare Apogee digital cable and extra Canare RCAP-C4F connectors, worked out great. Still have to set up the USB mic and do all that with REW, and install an Oppo player as a second digital source.

And to think this little collection of tiny boxes took the place of a Behr DEQ, DCX, and SRC 2496. Amazing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
LOL, they don't quite match the Raccoon Hollow paint on the wall, but they sound nice. The analog unbalanced ones are diy Oyaide pa-02s (bought used off a fellow on AA and reterminated), and Mogami 2534 for the balanced. I've convinced myself on a few occasions that cables do sound different, but refuse to (and can't afford to) spend big bucks on the stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.