miniDSP kits, our answers to your technical questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sorry - this must be answered somewhere else, but, I'm having a hard time finding it: where is a thread showing how to use REW with MiniDSP, explaing what you can do/features etc. when using REW + MiniDSP together? [All I could find so far was a brief post on the MiniDSP website saying that now you can use REW + MiniDSP together]

Perhaps you can add pictures [screenshots/step-by-step] and a more detailed explanation of capablilities + limitations of using REW + MiniDSP together to your thread here?:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/176161-minidsp-rew-partner-release-new-plug-ins.html

Last edited:
I'm sorry - this must be answered somewhere else, but, I'm having a hard time finding it: where is a thread showing how to use REW with MiniDSP, explaing what you can do/features etc. when using REW + MiniDSP together? [All I could find so far was a brief post on the MiniDSP website saying that now you can use REW + MiniDSP together]

Perhaps you can add pictures [screenshots/step-by-step] and a more detailed explanation of capablilities + limitations of using REW + MiniDSP together to your thread here?:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/176161-minidsp-rew-partner-release-new-plug-ins.html

miniDSP and REW are indeed working together, but being a new feature, it's yet to be fully documented and explained.

We're indeed planning to have a technical note with a step by step on how to configure the two. The concept is actually really simple and very similar to other devices currently supported by REW. You can easily try it out even without a miniDSP! :)

- start REW V5 (note that only v5 supports miniDSP)
- click on the EQ button in the toolbar
- on the right hand side of the EQ window click on the "Equalizer" banner and select MiniDSP as the equalizer
- click on the EQ Filters button above the graph to set up some filters.
The section about how to run some AutoEQ or manual EQ on REW is well documented on REW manual. You can test it out without a miniDSP
- on the right hand side of the EQ window click on the "Filter Tasks" banner and select Send filter Settings to Equalizer

That brings up a file dialog to choose the filename and location for the coefficients file, default is minidsp.txt.

Last step is for you to copy the content of that file to the miniDSP kit and voila. Your system is flashed with the filtering from REW.

This is just a quick overview. Technical note to follow up in the application section of the miniDSP website hopefully this week.

Hope this helps to wet your appetite on that great feature! :)

DevTeam

I have a revA mini but I may decide to get a dac. With. 2v output. Will I still be able to use the Reva?

If you have a new miniDSP kit (Rev 2 shipped Dec2010) then no problem since you can change from RevA to B with a simple jumper change.

If you have a rev1 without any jumper setting, then your solution is just to make sure that you don't exceed the 0.9Vrms max. Remember that 2Vrms specs from your DAC is the max output and that it doesn't mean that you will reach it. Simply tone down the volume pre-dac.

hope this answers your question

If you have a new miniDSP kit (Rev 2 shipped Dec2010) then no problem since you can change from RevA to B with a simple jumper change.

If you have a rev1 without any jumper setting, then your solution is just to make sure that you don't exceed the 0.9Vrms max. Remember that 2Vrms specs from your DAC is the max output and that it doesn't mean that you will reach it. Simply tone down the volume pre-dac.

Thanks that helps...

You might find this ARTICLE helpful...

My minidsp in a box was shipped on 12/13/10 does this mean it has the jumper inside?

My minidsp in a box was shipped on 12/13/10 does this mean it has the jumper inside?

Yes that's correct. The board inside will have the jumper allowing you to turn a miniDSP 2x4 revA to revB (or vice versa). Simply remove screws from one of the front panels (i.e. sliding the board from there) and you'll have access to the board.

Hope this information helps.

Yes that's correct. The board inside will have the jumper allowing you to turn a miniDSP 2x4 revA to revB (or vice versa). Simply remove screws from one of the front panels (i.e. sliding the board from there) and you'll have access to the board.

Hope this information helps.

Great. I took a look inside and see the jumpers. Thanks

Last question: where do i get the connector that fits DC +/- input?

Ha. Just got the email about the silkscreen gaffe. Thought I was losing my mind and it took me a couple days to realize it was not my fault.

But seriously, where do I get a green connector to fit onto the DC jack pins so I can add my own power supply, pretty sure one did not come with my minidsp in a box...

Hello,
I have one question about the "natural" delay of the mini DSP.

I am thinking of using active 3 ways front speakers (with mini DSP) within my suround system. So, when using surround audio, only the front speaker signal will go through the miniDSP.
I am wondering if the sound processing delay will be audible.
What is the processing delay of the mini-DSP ?

What could be a solution if this is a problem ?

I hope you guy's have more luck than me, this was the answer I got to a question on their forum.

David,

If you're asking a question about a pic, I doubt that you had a look at the application note on 2xminiDSP + 1xminiDIGi that is available on the download section. Please have a look at it first. All the info you need is there.

DevTeam

and yes I have read all of their documentation, several times. If you can be bothered to reply why not supply an answer, your job would be done then.

David

Ha. Just got the email about the silkscreen gaffe. Thought I was losing my mind and it took me a couple days to realize it was not my fault.

But seriously, where do I get a green connector to fit onto the DC jack pins so I can add my own power supply, pretty sure one did not come with my minidsp in a box...

You should have indeed get a DC plug along with your unit. If you didn't, simply send an email to info@minidsp.com and we'll send you a replacement.

DevTeam

Hello,
I have one question about the "natural" delay of the mini DSP.

I am thinking of using active 3 ways front speakers (with mini DSP) within my suround system. So, when using surround audio, only the front speaker signal will go through the miniDSP.
I am wondering if the sound processing delay will be audible.
What is the processing delay of the mini-DSP ?
What could be a solution if this is a problem ?

Processing delay will depend on the amount of filters enabled so not a one answer for all. You can expect from 1.5 to 2.5ms depending on the filters enabled. The safest way is to run an impulse response to get the accurate value based on your configurations.

For a surround solution, I guess that you may need to also delay the rear speakers if that's really a need.. I'm not sure how much it would affect in a surround configuration to be honest (e.g. by default surround speakers always closer to hears than front no?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.