Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th May 2013, 06:16 PM   #141
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
k thanks. Now, due to my WAF, I may not be able to go one with my plans, dammit! I'll keep on trying to convince her, but I understand

hmm,, WAF ? - dude, a real man wouldn't let that get in his way

just ask Cal - or Lou Reda ( now, that's an in-joke - none of the ones for whom you'll likely find a google result. )
Old 15th May 2013, 05:45 PM   #142
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
hmm,, WAF ? - dude, a real man wouldn't let that get in his way

just ask Cal - or Lou Reda ( now, that's an in-joke - none of the ones for whom you'll likely find a google result. )
Itss gonna be a tough call but
I think that I still prefer my girl, I think .

Seriously, we live in a 3 and half appartment. My big *** system, big as a fridge everyone tells me, is in our bedroom, as its the biggest room. Then, next to it, there the rest room with the computer as a tv. this is where I want to put the alpair 12p standmount. I can understand the she thinks there enough speakers as it is right now. But I think ill be able to convince her! God I sound like a maniac!
Old 15th May 2013, 07:26 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Itss gonna be a tough call but
I think that I still prefer my girl, I think .

Seriously, we live in a 3 and half appartment. My big *** system, big as a fridge everyone tells me, is in our bedroom, as its the biggest room. Then, next to it, there the rest room with the computer as a tv. this is where I want to put the alpair 12p standmount. I can understand the she thinks there enough speakers as it is right now. But I think ill be able to convince her! God I sound like a maniac!

if she has ears and cares for music at all, let the sound to the convincing - if not, take what you can get, and save your powers of persuasion for other sensory pursuits
Old 18th May 2013, 02:36 PM   #144

Great, I have the green light to build the standmount!
Chris, If you accept, I would just like to confirm the dimensions of the panels to make sure that I dont get mixed up with the inner or outer dimensions!
I'm excited!
Old 18th May 2013, 03:50 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Great, I have the green light to build the standmount!
Chris, If you accept, I would just like to confirm the dimensions of the panels to make sure that I dont get mixed up with the inner or outer dimensions!
I'm excited!

for which enclosure? I've not built any enclosure for the 12Ps other than SuperPensils or the MarKen12T. If you're talking the Scott Lindgren standmount design that Colin Topps has shared, I'm not sure that I've even seen the drawings.
Old 18th May 2013, 04:31 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

The link for the box design is in post #139.

jeff
Old 21st May 2013, 03:41 PM   #147

and again, the girl interpose and say no!
dammit!
I'll keep on using the fonkens fe127
Old 21st May 2013, 05:34 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and again, the girl interpose and say no!
dammit!
I'll keep on using the fonkens fe127
How big is her shoe closet?

Does the enclosure need to be bookshelf / monitor small? Considering that enclosures such as Fonkens generally tend to be used with stands, the total footprint and actual space used is at least as much as a pair of floorstanders, and there are several excellent designs that work very well with A7 and A10.

I'm a big fan of the A7 for a lot of reasons - range of compact enclosures among them (such as MarKen - slightly smaller in fact that FonkenPrime for FE127E) - and they certainly work quite well in modest sized room HT systems in which they're high passed to woofers doing the heavy lifting. But even in a full sized cabinet, unaided it will never deliver the sensitivity and bass extension of the 12P - apples and oranges, really.

Now the A10 can certainly give the 12P a run for the money in smaller designs , but when enclosure size is not a limitation, the 12P is pretty hard to beat.
Old 21st May 2013, 05:42 PM   #149
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The A12.2p will fit into a miniOnken the same volume as the Fonken, due to bezel width it needs to be wider (CGR or trapezoid).

dave
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:41 AM   #150
Toppsy is offline Toppsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have been playing around with other surface finishes than the usual real wood veneer I generally use. Looking at the car vinyl 3D wrap that comes in an array of finishes and colours I thought the Grey/Silver carbon look vinyl a good match to the paper cone of the A12P. So I purchased a sample to try out. The results are quite encouraging and this stuff is so easy to use that good results are almost guaranteed if you are loathe to try veneering.

I decided to use the very same standmount box featured elsewhere in this thread but make the side panels 3mm oversize all round and feature them as exposed panels. I routed a 3mm chamfer around the edges of the side panels. This has two advantages. Allows easy alignment of the sides when gluing in place and secondly adds to the looks. The side panels were simply sealed, primed and sprayed satin black. The vinyl wrap needs to be applied before the side panels are glued in place and it is best to seal the wood with a propriatory sanding sealer before applying the vinyl wrap to give the adhesive something non porus to bind to.

I must say I am rather taken by the look of these that it may transpire into other designs I build in the future should a more modern look be required over the more traditional wood finishes. Here are the results:

Click the image to open in full size.

For some reason the images appear squashed and one must click on the image to expand to the correct size??

Last edited by Toppsy; 23rd May 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!