Alpair12P gen2 standmount speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not to continue too far off topic, but here's an interesting side note. When I was going through a thermodynamics class at the University of Minnesota in the late '70's (long before any discussion of greenhouse gases), my professor discussed his view that we would likely see increasing climate change over time as the amount of power generated, used, and dissipated by humanity approached the same order of magnitude as earth's climate system (incident solar energy on the earth's surface, it absorption, re-radiation, etc.). At the time, that was a new and troubling concept to me.

Over the decades since, human power generation has reached a small but significant, measurable percentage of that total global climatic power. Considering the then unknown, but now clearly understood additional impact of CO2, and hydrocarbons in the atmosphere, it seems unlikely that we won't see additional significant impact to climate and weather.

I posted up the vinyl covered speakers to encourage others to try none conventional speaker coverings. I have a box of the CHBW drivers awaiting a new design and I might try a black carbon fibre finish for those.

Hmmm... look forward to that one Colin. Now will these modern finishes catch the eye and interest of some of the younger folk? An alterntative to mass market boxes (at least to a few)? Let's hope so!

BTW, whatever the sound, the visual aspect of a loud speaker cabinet should not be underestimated. :D

Not to continue too far off topic, but here's an interesting side note. When I was going through a thermodynamics class at the University of Minnesota in the late '70's (long before any discussion of greenhouse gases), my professor discussed his view that we would likely see increasing climate change over time as the amount of power generated, used, and dissipated by humanity approached the same order of magnitude as earth's climate system (incident solar energy on the earth's surface, it absorption, re-radiation, etc.). At the time, that was a new and troubling concept to me.

Over the decades since, human power generation has reached a small but significant, measurable percentage of that total global climatic power. Considering the then unknown, but now clearly understood additional impact of CO2, and hydrocarbons in the atmosphere, it seems unlikely that we won't see additional significant impact to climate and weather.

Yes atmospheric CO2 levels have fluctuated wildly over the period of the past 4 ice ages, but with them recently passing the 400 ppm level for the first time in over 400,000 years - more than 30% higher than the previous peak, and the burgeoning release of methane from livestock raised on "reclaimed" tropical rainforests to ensure the supply of hormone and antibiotic laden burgers & steaks that is contributing to the epidemic of obesity, it's one hell of a legacy that we're leaving our kids.

time to reclassify the dystopian nightmares that we used to think of as science "fiction"?

or was I simply not reassured by the cautious optimism in the final section of a recent read - Thom Hartmann - "Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight" ?

When I last spoke with Colin I gathered it's not very good at going in several directions -likely OK on a broad radii like a tweeter waveguide though. OTOH, it'd probably also look rather fussy, a bit like the carbon 'detailing' on some clapped-out boy-racer Saxo does. Better for larger areas IMO. But then, maybe I'm just prematurely decrepit.

Last edited:
Colin, any ideas if this vinyl wrap can be heated and moulded a little?

I'm thinking for things like shallow tweeter waveguides, stuff like that.

Yes it certainly will mould around compound curves with the application of heat and stretch technique. However, as I say you need to prep the bare wood with a propriortory sanding sealer and then a couple coats of acrylic varnish to give the wrap and smooth non porous surface to attach to.

I have some smallish offcuts you are welcome to experiment with next we meet up.

Here are a couple of application videos that will help.

3M Scotchprint Wrap Film Series 1080 Vehicle Installation - HD - YouTube

3M Dinoc and 3D carbon fiber vinyl Install Help Video - YouTube

The best place I've found to buy this stuff is on Ebay.
If you do a web search for car vinyl wraps you'll find a vast array of finishes, from plain colours to carbon fibre look to similated leather. Plenty to go at.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
wow, I just made a big mistake:
when I measured the leght for the placement of the driver, I forgot to think that the 115mm needs to take into consideration the over lap wood.
so instread of putting it at 115mm, I put it at 16 mm to high.
Should that result in a big difference in sound quality?
should I adjust the port because of that?
I hope I was clear.
god damn, I have 5 tumbs.
please help!!!

whats the theory behind a BR enclosure?
is the height of the driver is important?

For theory of BR boxes, look it up at Wikipedia for starters.

Basically for a BR cabinet if the box internal volume is correct, minor deviation of driver placement should not be a problem. Whereas in a TL or MLTL type of cabinet, the driver height and distance from port are critical to the design.

So enjoy! :)

If they're done, and you're happy with the results, leave 'em.
If however, you're they type who'll look at 'em and always see the "what if"
you'd best re-do them!
Don

yet another function of grilles :D

1/4" MDF frames and countersunk NEO magnets (cost much more than pegs and cups, but never break, and auto-magically aligns themselves works like a charm (just get the polarity right on all :rolleyes:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.