FAST subs under MA drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th November 2011, 06:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default FAST subs under MA drivers

(Sidebar: I've taken the Liberty of starting a new thread describing various subwoofer drivers and their cabinets as related to running under Mark Audio drivers. Where applicable, crossover details may be included. Some drivers are suitable, some not. I will share our experience working with various drivers to help start the thread. If this thread is inappropriate to Mark, I will understand its removal.)

Early tests with the Peerless 830668 10" driver are very promising. In free air, they are very clean without breakup or honk, detailed and have good extended range on both directions. They could work VERY well using a first order crossover. A couple of different sealed enclosures are being prepared for testing. First test will be in a 85 litre sealed box. Should have some preliminary results by the end of the week or so.

More later.
Old 14th November 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Despite its scarcity CSS SDX7 needs to be mentioned. 7-21 litre sealed.

dave
Old 14th November 2011, 10:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
(Sidebar: I've taken the Liberty of starting a new thread describing various subwoofer drivers and their cabinets as related to running under Mark Audio drivers. Where applicable, crossover details may be included. Some drivers are suitable, some not. I will share our experience working with various drivers to help start the thread. If this thread is inappropriate to Mark, I will understand its removal.)

More later.
Hi Silver, Guys,
Thanks for your thoughts and for thinking about the wider issue of representing other makes of driver on the Markaudio section. Since I don't make subs (as yet), there's no direct conflict as such. Its good that those Diyers with a desire/need for more bass use FAST, or subs etc. I'd rather see this effort than see Full-Rangers be over-worked and end up in the bin.

Some food for thought for you:

I'm the only driver maker actively supporting this forum financially (I pay a annual fees to Diyaudio) and offering practical support. But we don't see makers like Peerless (and similar) doing the same, dipping their hands in their pockets to financially support Diyuadio.com, yet it does much to illustrate their products. I'm a very small maker (maybe the smallest) with very limited resources, while makers with resources do nothing.

We should give some thought and praise for Jason, Diyaudio.com's owner, he does a great job. He's trying to build up Diyaudio so that it becomes viable financially. Diyaudio.com needs funds and more business to survive and grow. I recently sent him the information on a "advertorial" thread for a Full-Range maker that doesn't support and participate in Diyaudio.

Along with the other makers and vendors currently on Diyaudio, I'm happy to do my bit and support this forum.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 15th November 2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I will be following this thread!

I would like to have this type of setup for my home theater. Planet 10's FAST's using the SDX7 is very interesting to me, but as David mentioned they are in limited supply. I'd love to hear about people's experience with a range of sub drivers, cheap and expensive!

KM
Old 15th November 2011, 02:43 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleinCowichan View Post
a range of sub drivers, cheap and expensive!
To get good integration we are really looking for a woofer that goes low as opposed to a dedicated subwoofer.

I like to target something with extension up to the neighborhood of a kHz.

dave
Old 15th November 2011, 03:48 AM   #6
rvsixer is offline rvsixer  United States
diyAudio Member

MA OEM driver with Peerless 830669 12" OB project going on in my listening area.
Old 15th November 2011, 04:52 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

there are any number of affordable candidates in the 6-8" range that offer great flexibility of configuration with multiples, e.g. Silver Flute, Peerless, Eminence, Tang Band, insert your favorite flavor here
Old 15th November 2011, 08:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

This has always intrigued me: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb29nrx756.pdf

And if you're flush, possibly this: http://www.solen.ca/pdf/sb/sb34nrx756.pdf

Chris, I'm using the silver flute w20s right now. Not sure I'd use them in a FAST. Unfortuneately they just don't dig very deep. Possibly if on a budget and needing the sensitivity to baffle step compensate. They're borderline in my books.

There are two SDX7s right here: Solen Electronique Inc.=

And CSS is a supporter of the site (I think)
Old 15th November 2011, 11:15 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Chris, I'm using the silver flute w20s right now. Not sure I'd use them in a FAST. Unfortuneately they just don't dig very deep. Possibly if on a budget and needing the sensitivity to baffle step compensate. They're borderline in my books.

There are two SDX7s right here: Solen Electronique Inc.=

And CSS is a supporter of the site (I think)

Ryan - which enclosures for the W20s?

In the $150 to $180 each range, there's probably lots of other candidates as well, Audax, SEAS Prestige, Scanspeak, Morel, Eton, et al. I guess it's just frugal-phile DNA that prompts something like the Silver Flute to the top of my list in anticipation of fiscal restraints, which of course doesn't affect everyone

Old 15th November 2011, 11:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I've had a look at those also. A sealed box models are very nicely compact into a small size. The response graph doesn't seem to indicate any honk, either. Probably would work well.

That said, in a bit larger sealed box the Peerless seems to work out to the same F3 / F10 at less than half the price. There was something else that threw cold water on the SBA drivers for me but I can't seem to recall what it was.

Hide this!Advertise here!