Markaudio fullrange + Woofer 6 (FAST) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 7th September 2011, 09:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Crossblade Send a message via AIM to Crossblade Send a message via MSN to Crossblade Send a message via Yahoo to Crossblade
Default Markaudio fullrange + Woofer 6 (FAST)

I was also wondering if you can use the Woofer 6 combined with a CHP-70 for a compact FAST. I don't know if their sensitivity will match for passive crossover though.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:52 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That should work as long as they are designed to not need a huge amount of BSC.

dave
Old 7th September 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Crossblade Send a message via AIM to Crossblade Send a message via MSN to Crossblade Send a message via Yahoo to Crossblade
Dave, would you please explain to an amateur like me. Is it good to place them both on the front? What crossover frequency will be best to
1/ make sure they blend together. Slightly bass heavy speaker will not be a problem I believe
2/ the CHP/R works in the widest band possible without being overloaded

Thank you!
Nanko
Old 7th September 2011, 10:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

** hope this is not offtopic. I saw the author of the thread explained he is looking for a small widerband/coaxial to do the main job and add the Woofer 6 for bass support - the same thing I want. Hope my questions are helpful for him as well

Still, it may be separated as a new topic - Mark Audio fullrange + Woofer 6 FAST. Maybe I should have posted it this way initially ...

------

Can we make a small floor stander, inspired by the B&W 802 - 2 Mark Audio 6.5" woofers instead of the 8" in the 802 and the small MA fullrange instead of midrange and tweeter. The volume can be whatever we like, not that fancy "drop-like" thing.

AFAIK the 802 has the bass/midrange crossover at about 350 Hz. I believe we should similar crossover range...

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Crossblade; 7th September 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 8th September 2011, 04:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
** hope this is not offtopic. I saw the author of the thread explained he is looking for a small widerband/coaxial to do the main job and add the Woofer 6 for bass support - the same thing I want. Hope my questions are helpful for him as well
No sweat Crossblade, the basic idea of a 'Bass assisted' (is this what FAST means? I've seen the term around but don't really know exactly what it means) fullrange is very attractive whether the bass and fullrange share the same cabinet or, as in my case, are somewhat separated.

Cheers,
blakk
Old 8th September 2011, 04:20 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
Can we make a small floor stander, inspired by the B&W 802 - 2 Mark Audio 6.5" woofers instead of the 8" in the 802 and the small MA fullrange instead of midrange and tweeter. The volume can be whatever we like, not that fancy "drop-like" thing.
The idea works fine.

I'm designing, Bernie is building a tapered 20-sided solid wood dMar-Ken7,3 to use as a steampunk variation on the B&W midtange teardrop, for use in something similar.

dave
Old 8th September 2011, 04:24 AM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
a tapered 20-sided solid wood
Holy jumping grasshoppers Batman!
Old 8th September 2011, 04:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Member Crossblade has asked me to split this thread:
MA Woofer Number 6 as subwoofer driver?

He's asking for more specific information and advice on using Woof No.6 with CHP as a FAST project. I've migrated his relevant posts.

For those guys who'd like to the FAST definition, I understand it to be: "Fullrange AssiSTed". Not sure if this this the correct definition, at least it looks about right. Member Cal has also posted a definition: "Fullrange And Subwoofer Technology" which also makes sense, guess it depends which system type you wish to use.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 8th September 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 8th September 2011, 08:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Greets.

Given the Genesis of the MA6 as an easy two way special driver, is there scope to produce an upmarket version especially for FAST applications (ie: LF optimised)?
I know MA already makes a heap of variations, and they all have to sell enough to be viable, so not sure if this is marketable enough. Just floating the idea...

Could be a potential underpinning for all of the Alpairs as well as small subs and 3/4 ways. Thoughts?

Rgds,
blakk
Old 8th September 2011, 09:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks Mark for separating the thread.

Dave, I'm really an amateur, and have 0 experience in 2-way speaker designing

Do you believe a compact floorstanded with fullrange + good bass can be done using the Woofer 6 (or two of them) and CHP or CHR-70 ?

Combined, the two Woofers will have sensitivity of about 90dB/W/M. Not that much when compared to the 85dB of the fullrange. And I believe the real output in the bass octaves (they will be used in)will be slightly lower. So it may end as a really good sounding (with good bass) speaker with sensitivity of 85dB and fullrange doing the biggest part of the spectrum.

Now I only have to find a reason to get them ... as I already have too many speakers. :P

Can anyone share some projects for simple speakers (sealed or vented?) for the Woofer 6? Or even better - for a couple of them running in parralel?
And what about a CHP/R-70 volume optimized for running crossed at ~350Hz?

Last edited by Crossblade; 8th September 2011 at 09:09 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!