Markaudio fullrange + Woofer 6 (FAST)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave, would you please explain to an amateur like me. Is it good to place them both on the front? What crossover frequency will be best to
1/ make sure they blend together. Slightly bass heavy speaker will not be a problem I believe
2/ the CHP/R works in the widest band possible without being overloaded

Thank you!
Nanko

** hope this is not offtopic. I saw the author of the thread explained he is looking for a small widerband/coaxial to do the main job and add the Woofer 6 for bass support - the same thing I want. Hope my questions are helpful for him as well ;)

Still, it may be separated as a new topic - Mark Audio fullrange + Woofer 6 FAST. Maybe I should have posted it this way initially ... :(

------

Can we make a small floor stander, inspired by the B&W 802 - 2 Mark Audio 6.5" woofers instead of the 8" in the 802 and the small MA fullrange instead of midrange and tweeter. The volume can be whatever we like, not that fancy "drop-like" thing.

AFAIK the 802 has the bass/midrange crossover at about 350 Hz. I believe we should similar crossover range...

802-Diamond_Rosenut_OFF.jpg

Last edited:
** hope this is not offtopic. I saw the author of the thread explained he is looking for a small widerband/coaxial to do the main job and add the Woofer 6 for bass support - the same thing I want. Hope my questions are helpful for him as well ;)
No sweat Crossblade, the basic idea of a 'Bass assisted' (is this what FAST means? I've seen the term around but don't really know exactly what it means) fullrange is very attractive whether the bass and fullrange share the same cabinet or, as in my case, are somewhat separated.

Cheers,
blakk

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can we make a small floor stander, inspired by the B&W 802 - 2 Mark Audio 6.5" woofers instead of the 8" in the 802 and the small MA fullrange instead of midrange and tweeter. The volume can be whatever we like, not that fancy "drop-like" thing.

The idea works fine.

I'm designing, Bernie is building a tapered 20-sided solid wood dMar-Ken7,3 to use as a steampunk variation on the B&W midtange teardrop, for use in something similar.

dave

Hi Guys,
Member Crossblade has asked me to split this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/195537-ma-woofer-number-6-subwoofer-driver-2.html

He's asking for more specific information and advice on using Woof No.6 with CHP as a FAST project. I've migrated his relevant posts.

For those guys who'd like to the FAST definition, I understand it to be: "Fullrange AssiSTed". Not sure if this this the correct definition, at least it looks about right. Member Cal has also posted a definition: "Fullrange And Subwoofer Technology" which also makes sense, guess it depends which system type you wish to use.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Greets.

Given the Genesis of the MA6 as an easy two way special driver, is there scope to produce an upmarket version especially for FAST applications (ie: LF optimised)?
I know MA already makes a heap of variations, and they all have to sell enough to be viable, so not sure if this is marketable enough. Just floating the idea...

Could be a potential underpinning for all of the Alpairs as well as small subs and 3/4 ways. Thoughts?

Rgds,
blakk

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks Mark for separating the thread.

Dave, I'm really an amateur, and have 0 experience in 2-way speaker designing :eek:

Do you believe a compact floorstanded with fullrange + good bass can be done using the Woofer 6 (or two of them) and CHP or CHR-70 ?

Combined, the two Woofers will have sensitivity of about 90dB/W/M. Not that much when compared to the 85dB of the fullrange. And I believe the real output in the bass octaves (they will be used in)will be slightly lower. So it may end as a really good sounding (with good bass) speaker with sensitivity of 85dB and fullrange doing the biggest part of the spectrum.

Now I only have to find a reason to get them ... as I already have too many speakers. :p

Can anyone share some projects for simple speakers (sealed or vented?) for the Woofer 6? Or even better - for a couple of them running in parralel?
And what about a CHP/R-70 volume optimized for running crossed at ~350Hz?

Last edited:
@buzzforb, the Alpair 7 gen 3 has the same 85dB sensitivity as the CHP-70, so I believe they can use the same FAST Project with minimal changes in the volume for the fullrange.

What woofer do you plan to use for the FAST? Is it the Woofer No 6 or something different?

I like the Woofer No 6 as a budget model that looks good. And its the only one that will result in a all-MA-speaker :D

There are lots of options if the budget is higher though.

I have some Seas 8" CA22RNX, but i don't htink they are ideal as a single unit. I would probably to double up for them to be ideal. I may purchase a woofer if there is an ideal version. I have considered sitting the a7 on top of a tapped horn like the one from this site, the double folded version. I will have to check out the woofer #6.

Tapped Horns

I will watch your progress with interest.

Will the tapped horn be able to cover the 100-300Hz range :rolleyes:

What crossover point do you think to use? And what sensitivity speakers do you think is best to use for the woofers? What's wrong with the SEAS?

I'm not sure if I will develop this project. At the moment it is just an idea. I actually don't really need it .... and don't have place for it :rolleyes: I just want to "start the project" and eventually, I may do a "proof of concept" :) I'd be happy if someone else likes the idea though and uses it ...

Nanko

Crossblade,

A tapped horn is unlikely to have so much usable bandwidth... but I am no expert.

Buzz,

How's your expertise with hornresp? I'm also interested in trying out a tapped horn or T-TQWT (advised by Bjorno). BTW, I read in a thread started by Patrick Bateman that for TH high excursion drivers work best. the Woof #6 is not particularly high excursion. Having said that that my SPL goal is not very high - maybe maxing at 90 dB.

I am waiting for my woof #6 - maybe they'll reach me by end of this month. In the meantime you think we can put together a design for T-TQWT or TH?

-Zia

I also believe the tapped horn is not suitable for a FAST with small fullrange driver. A huge one may be suitable for the 20-40-50 Hz range though, where even this small FAST will not be that usable.

Let's concentrate on my idea please :) Some people tell me that the sensitivity of a couple of Woofer 6 (total 90dB) is way higher than the one of the CHP-70 (85dB). Do you think so, or a passive 2-way will sound balanced (or only slightly bass heavy, which is good for POP music :) ) in real world?

Crossblade,

Not to go OT, but FAST doesn't mean you have to cross high (200-300 Hz). Even 80 Hz is good. TH can cover 40-80Hz AFAIK. If you cross high you can play louder and more bass heavy as the woof takes most of the load; cross low then it might be easier to integrate with the woofers, but your ability to play loud will again get somewhat limited by the FR. So a lot depends on your room size and personal preferences in music, loudness etc.

For myself and probably buzz we want to cross at 80Hz (or lower) because we have the bigger Alpair drivers which can generate a lot of bass on their own. Efficiency is also higher vs smaller MA drivers.

For FAST Planet10 recommend bi-amping - that way you eliminate the need of any complex crossover and don't need to worry a lot about speaker efficiency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.