5.1 system with Markaudio drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 29th December 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5.1 system with Markaudio drivers?

Hello Mark, I'm currently trying to figure out what drivers and enclosures to use for a 5.1 video/audio system I wish to build. Do you have any guidelines, enclosure plans for this purpose?

TIA

Rick
Old 29th December 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

On this page planet_10 hifi, under the ML-TLs, i have created a series of auxilary boxes for HT originally for use with the CHR microTowers, but certainly could be used by themselves or with any of the metal cone MA boxes as mains. Excepting the possibility that the larger basket won't physically fit, the Alpair 7 could be substitutued for an upgrade.

dave
Old 29th December 2009, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
On this page planet_10 hifi, under the ML-TLs, i have created a series of auxilary boxes for HT originally for use with the CHR microTowers, but certainly could be used by themselves or with any of the metal cone MA boxes as mains. Excepting the possibility that the larger basket won't physically fit, the Alpair 7 could be substitutued for an upgrade.

dave
Hi Dave,
do you planning to place more details in your plans (like frequencity/impedance charts) or at least f3/6/8?
cheers
vlado
Old 29th December 2009, 08:55 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Attached is a sim of undamped sealed enclosures of 4, 5, 7, 10, 15 litres. Stuffing material will make the boxes seem larger, decreasing the bump and extending the f3 downward. Room placement -- usually on the wall, will extend the bottom significantly. As per Toole, they should all be cut off at 80 Hz, so extension is sufficient.

If one wants to reduce Q any of these could be aperiodically vented.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif sealed-CHR-70-FR.gif (12.2 KB, 362 views)
Old 30th December 2009, 12:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick,
Hope you had a good Christmas; And thanks to Dave for interesting posts and plans.

Interestingly, Graham in Hong Kong is working on a combined in Stereo-Home Theatre system. The plan is to use Pensil 12 (Alpair 12) cabs for front left and right, a single Alpair 12 in a sealed box for the centre channel. For the rear left and right, a pair of Alpair 7's in each ported tower cab. It would be interesting to go all Alpair 12 but there may be some space limitations around the sofa.

Graham has one of Brian Cherry's KT-88 (errrrgh.....can't think of its name, old age I guess) and a posh Ayre CD player from Charles. So it's stereo with the Pencils for an extensive CD collection (Graham works in the music publishing business), switching to a Pioneer HT amp for films. Graham will add a Sub for extra bass on the HT side.

I'll ask Graham to comment as this project unfolds. Graham runs his own web site so will make a link as info becomes available.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:32 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Brian Cherry's KT-88 (errrrgh.....can't think of its name, old age I guess)
Ella IIRC.

dave
Old 30th December 2009, 09:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
Thanks Dave, as usual lots of interesting stuff to consider on your site. Good stuff.

Rick
Old 30th December 2009, 09:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Rick,
Hope you had a good Christmas; And thanks to Dave for interesting posts and plans.

Interestingly, Graham in Hong Kong is working on a combined in Stereo-Home Theatre system. The plan is to use Pensil 12 (Alpair 12) cabs for front left and right, a single Alpair 12 in a sealed box for the centre channel. For the rear left and right, a pair of Alpair 7's in each ported tower cab. It would be interesting to go all Alpair 12 but there may be some space limitations around the sofa.

Graham has one of Brian Cherry's KT-88 (errrrgh.....can't think of its name, old age I guess) and a posh Ayre CD player from Charles. So it's stereo with the Pencils for an extensive CD collection (Graham works in the music publishing business), switching to a Pioneer HT amp for films. Graham will add a Sub for extra bass on the HT side.

I'll ask Graham to comment as this project unfolds. Graham runs his own web site so will make a link as info becomes available.

Cheers

Mark.
Thanks Mark, I hope you had a good Christmas in your household as well.

What I'm contemplating here is a 5.1 system for our bedroom, so it won't have any bearing on my 2 channel rig downstairs.

The boss, errrr wife and I often like to watch movies at night after the little ones are asleep and it's both comfy and convenient to do this in our bedroom. I've already got a 32" flat screen in there so now all I have to do is decide on a video receiver, new dvd player and of course the all important speaker set up. I'd like to keep the speakers reasonably small as it's only a 16' x 14' room. I may try and incorporate the center channel and the sub into the cabinet I build for the project. That just leaves the front mains and the rear speakers to worry about. A small pair of thin towers could work up front, but the rear speakers will have to be wall mounted.

I'll keep an eye on the project you referenced earlier. Do you anticipate anything being up on that soon?

As always thanks for the response.

Rick
Old 30th December 2009, 11:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Rick,
OK, I understand your needs. Small thin towers and rear wall mounts in 16X14 room. Yep I'd say CHR-70, EL-70 or Alpair 7 if the budget (or boss) will allow.
These drivers are a nice balance between size, power handling and should cover the room size OK.

Graham has a very large living room, hence his system will be bigger in scale. The system will be built here in HK so I think Graham will post in the coming days and weeks.

Happy new year,

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 31st December 2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 30th December 2009, 11:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
Dave, after taking some more time to look at the HT system you linked to from your site. What would be the recommendation for a sub?

As far as the rest goes, that looks really good and would most likely fit & work well in our room.

Thanks again.

Rick

Hide this!Advertise here!