coke(coca cola ) as a pesticide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Sch3mat1c said:
I'll admit I don't know much about formaldehyde...

I know it's in woodsmoke though. But anyone who doesn't like that is denying 100,000 years of human cooking. :D

Yes, and 35 was a ripe old age for most of those 100,000 years.

Sch3mat1c said:
....well so isn't the air [carcinogenic], maybe 60%.... of people die of cancer and they all breath it...

Tim, you've got to stop listening to those twits on talk radio-they're causing you to say silly things...:D

It should be noted that Ace said that he once worked in a chemical factory. Well he's Australian and Australia has a huge export meat industry. While I'm sure Australia has laws against adding formaldehyde to meat sold in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew of formaldehyde added to Australian meat shipped to countries where the laws are not so strict.

Joined 2001
Here's an item of interest. Formaldehyde being added-even today-to beer brewed in China:

"This week also saw Taiwan’s Ministry of Finance ban imports of Mainland China-brewed beer that have been found to contain cancer-causing formaldehyde. Under Taiwan’s food sanitation laws, formaldehyde is banned from use in the production of foodstuffs and alcoholic beverages. This could potentially affect ten Mainland brands that have started selling in Taiwan and has a 9% market share. It appears though the censure may force some changes in China’s brewing industry...."
http://www.accessasia.co.uk/shownews.asp?NewsId=814

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
formaldehyde is banned from use in the production of foodstuffs and alcoholic beverages.

I told you i was getting old :Pumpkin:, Maybe i need some :D

From reading it is still used today in other things aswell :bigeyes:, make up, cleaning products, shampoo, aswell as in wood, (MDF? :scratch2: ) though it seems not so much in food stuffs anymore. I can bet money thats its in shampoo and dish washing liquid as i used to make the stuff, amoung a billion other things.

All in all, if you look up what Nitrite and Nitrate is we dont seem to be any better off. The same goes for Sulfides, though Sulfides seems abit safer.

Trev :wchair:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
It should be noted that Ace said that he once worked in a chemical factory.

That i did, the company was called Jaysol Chemicals, and we used to make anything from Metal Cleaner, to Dishwashing Liquid, to Coolant from raw chemicals. As soon as i started to see 30 year old emplyees that looked 45 changing to looking asthough they wer 65 after a period of 3months, i left. Later on i worked at a bulk chemical handling company on the warf that stored safer substances such as Mollasas, Pollyol and Tellow. I have also worked at a foam factory making foam which imo is hell dangerous!

Well he's Australian and Australia has a huge export meat industry. While I'm sure Australia has laws against adding formaldehyde to meat sold in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew of formaldehyde added to Australian meat shipped to countries where the laws are not so strict.

You know i could joke about that but i wont ;) . We mainly export to the Middle East and the majority is live export.

Formadehyde used in meat is somthing i was told about. I was told this when i was working with it from a Saftey Course i attended. The Formaldehide they used on meat was a powederd form so maybe thats why it didnt smell, or had very little.

I dont have any data when it was used but from the way they said it, it was still being used today, (was somthing like 13years ago). Manny people who used to apply the powder have now died of cancer and i was being told to be careful. I was told they just throw the power on over the meat. (abit like when you wer a kid and how you used to get your mums talkum powder and throw it in the air to create a dust storm lol). I was told also manny of them didnt wear a mask!!!.

Thats also where i got the information from reguarding the animal tests on it causing cancer. From reading last night, there have been quite a few tests conducted since and most of them have resulted in the same outcome.

Trev:)

Sch3mat1c said:
I seem to remember something saying charred meat is carcinogenic... well so isn't the air, maybe 60% (SWAG, insert correct number here) of people die of cancer and they all breath it...

Tim, you and I will die from solder-fumes first ;) :p

Magura said:
So working with MDF is surely not healthy!!!

Ever work with Cocobolo wood? Dust smells purty - but it's also a deadly neuro-toxin ;)

Joined 2001
Magura said:
I can add that I know that formaldehyde is added to MDF, in fairly large quantities. There is a MDF factory in Denmark that I have visited a couple of times, they get formaldehyde in shiploads :bigeyes:

So working with MDF is surely not healthy!!!

Magura:)

Funny how we start Off-Topic and end up working our way onto a topic that is very relevant to audio-MDF and formaldehyde.

Here is an interesting thread from the Woodweb woodworking forum:

"I've been waiting to see if anyone is going to mention formaldehyde sensitivity. I'm no expert, and the emotions in this industry run pretty high on this subject.
MDF has formaldehyde in it. Formaldehyde is a compound (carcinogen) that some people become sensitized to. Usually an overdose type situation where there is lots of exposure in a short period time causes a bad reaction (headaches, nausea, malaise, etc). This reaction fades in time, but will come back with even just a little exposure. Some folks have become debillitated by this, and (in the case of formaldehyde) cannot be around normal carpet, clothes, board products, etc. because of formaldehyde outgassing.
The panel producers denied the outgassing as a problem, yet now produce "low emission" type panels, or low formaldehyde content panels, etc. "

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/dust.pl?read=368004

When MDF first came popular, the experts all chided the solid wood adherents as being hopelessly old fashioned and "out-of-it". Now it looks like the solid hardwood guys might have had a good point all along. :D

The formaldehyde is in the glue. It is present interply in plywood and present throughout in particle boards. It is oxidized methanol, a simple hydrocarbon used as a building block in many things including UFFI (Urea Formaldehyde Foam Insulation) which was injected into peoples walls. I'm sure a lot of you will remember it caused quite a stir here in Canada and elsewhere about 20 years ago. It was installed improperly, didn't cure and continued to off-gas. This made a lot of people nauseous, not to mention the headaches. So out it came. Including those whose houses did cure and were not going to be a problem.

Long may we preserve formaldehyde ;)

Cal

C'mon, get with the times!

The IUPAC name for:

O
\\
C-H
/
H

is Methanal!

It's not acetic acid anymore, it's ethanoic acid. It's not acetylene, it's ethyne..... and the one I dislike the most... sulfur instead of suphur.... ugh.. :whazzat:

Phosphoric acid in coke, eh? That's what used to react with the rust in rust remover chemicals isn't it :cool:

Edit: ASCII-structural diagrams dun work too well....

yugaaa said:
Indian farmers have started using coke as a pesticide .Pesticides are costly ,but with coke ,the insects are totally dead and the returns are also high (coke=coca cola ).please post your comments

Well, I've heard that soaking a rusted nut'n'bolt in coke will loosen it.

But as a bug spray, I knew of someone who, on his roses, used water that has soaked cigarettes for a few days...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.