coke(coca cola ) as a pesticide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Circlotron said:
My chenistry teacher at school reckoned it was Phosphoric acid P2O5
It says on the can Food Acid (338). I checked once, and that was the code for Phosphoric Acid, H3PO4 (P2O5 is Phosphorous(V) Oxide)

Circlotron said:
Nonsense! You're the first person to split :smash: the Coke(tm) atom in cyberspace. Nobel Prize for sure.
LOL I wish :D

Phosphoric Acid is somewhat nasty stuff though...

Health effects:

Phosphoric acid can affect human health through inhalation of mist, ingestion, and contact with the skin and eyes. It can severely irritate the upper respiratory tract, eyes, and skin. It can burn the skin, mouth, and eyes, and cause dermatitis, a sour acrid taste, coughing, conjunctivitis, tearing, blepharospasm, severe gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, difficult swallowing, severe abdominal pains, extreme thirst, acidemia, difficult breathing, convulsion, shock, and even asphyxial death.

It can cause circulatory collapse with clammy skin, weak and rapid pulse, shallow respirations, and scanty urine. It can corrode the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, and esophagus, with immediate pain and dysphagia.

People at special risk of exposure to phosphoric acid include those with chronic pulmonary disease, and skin disease.

It's used for all sorts of things in industry... and we drink it :dead:

Oh, I got that information from here

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Phosphoric Acid is somewhat nasty stuff though...

Yeah it is. I can tell you what it tastes like as i had the smallest drop land on my lip oncewhile working with it. It tates like very strong citric acid , like an alcaline and it burns like hell. No doubt its nasty stuff.

To clean rust away try Zinc Choride (Bakers Soldering Flux). This stuff works well, but rember dont let the metal be exposed to air longer then 30mins without painting it or you will have a bigger rust problem then what you started with. It should get the rust off right back to bare metal. From memory, some anti rust primers contain somthing similar for etching into the metal.

Trev:)

Quote:

"It can severely irritate the upper respiratory tract, eyes, and skin. It can burn the skin, mouth, and eyes, and cause dermatitis, a sour acrid taste, coughing, conjunctivitis, tearing, blepharospasm, severe gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, difficult swallowing, severe abdominal pains, extreme thirst, acidemia, difficult breathing, convulsion, shock, and even asphyxial death".

Phosphoric acid or alcohol?

Cal

It's what McDonalds uses to clean their kitchen floors, that are soked in 1/2" of grease ;)

Me thinks you may be thinking of Sodium Tri-phosphate. Detergent! Did you know that General Mills puts that stuff in most of their breakfast cereals like Wheaties? My Father used it at his work to clean the tanks he used to make the adhesive that was used to glue the panels together of corrugated boxes! :xeye:
You could be right tho as I used to work in a kitchen and the grease behind the deep fryer was on the order of a couple of inches! I was the "Head" cook sooo I always delegated that chore to some underling! :mischiev: :yes: :D

Wayne

IIRC it is used as a wetting, flow agent? Who knows! :confused: :dead:

Nope! The WHMIS sheets specified 15% phosphoric acid.

We found this good for the lobby, but crappy for the kitchen. Our concoction was "The Fuming Bucket" - two floorpacks and a laundrypack (30% bleach powder). Pro'lly kill ya if you breathed the fumes, but we could do the kitchen in one pass instead of three :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.