How to test wine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could you find on the USA market natural wine who was not boosted with synthetic chemicals ?

For correct drink degustation of wine important is open the bottle first for 1hour so stay in contact with oxygen.
After that temperature as well 16 ~ 18°C

Attachments

• 8F33F332-647D-4C1D-A4B2-9E7923D63A51.JPG
    8F33F332-647D-4C1D-A4B2-9E7923D63A51.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 2F32DC34-06A9-47AB-BC6A-491C55B65E81.JPG
    2F32DC34-06A9-47AB-BC6A-491C55B65E81.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 109
Speaking to the topic -- California should be one of the easiest places in the world to test wines -- not just the stores, but college alumni associations, professional organizations always have wine tastings.

Sherry Lehmann will ship you a case of really great French wines for about $700/month (and on up...)

Me, I like S. African wines which I was introduced to in Bermuda when they weren't being imported into the States. Lotsa bang for the sawbuck.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes it is very VERY easy to taste a lot of wine at a very low cost, in California. Where I live, bicycling distance both to Apple Computer and Ridge Monte Bello vineyards, you can taste two dozen wines per week for zero dollars. Wine is our "Local Agricultural Product" and we are pleased to support our neighbors who farm the land for a living. Cheers to others who live in different regions / nations / terroirs .

My formula for a Friday night drink: Buy something Red ( Cab Sav but preferably Shiraz) from the Barossa Valley (South Australia for the geographically challenged), at least 4 years old, spend ~ AUD20.... French & West Australian Reds taste too watery after a good SA red.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There's Stereophile and the Absolute Sound in the world of high end audio, and then in the world of wine there is Wine Spectator: Wine Spectator Home | Wine Spectator

The magazine has pretty much something for everyone.

I am particularly partial to Beaujolais Village, Crianza, and any good Bordeaux.
There are some great wines from SA, and I particularly enjoy the inexpensive "Goats Do Roam" Red. We rarely consume anything in a bottle over $12..

Must be a world of choice out there in California!

I am particularly partial to Beaujolais Village, Crianza, and any good Bordeaux.
There are some great wines from SA, and I particularly enjoy the inexpensive "Goats Do Roam" Red. We rarely consume anything in a bottle over $12..

Must be a world of choice out there in California!

Unfortunately a very fine Burgundy like CHAMBOLLE MUSIGNY 1ER CRU
COMTE DE VOGUE was $12 in 1978 while a very nice Beaujolais Village was $5-6. The Burgundy is now $195.

There was certainly not only 7 dollars difference between a Beaujolais Village and a Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru in 1978 ! Or the Chambolle was a fake, or at least not a 1er Cru !

The area of C-M is so little that's impossible and even in 1945 it was a very famous wine, even hard to source here at raisonable price !

Excellent wine btw !

Last edited:
My formula for a Friday night drink: Buy something Red ( Cab Sav but preferably Shiraz) from the Barossa Valley (South Australia for the geographically challenged), at least 4 years old, spend ~ AUD20.... French & West Australian Reds taste too watery after a good SA red.....

I like those, too, something with enough body that you have to chew a bit.

There was certainly not only 7 dollars difference between a Beaujolais Village and a Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru in 1978 ! Or the Chambolle was a fake, or at least not a 1er Cru !

The area of C-M is so little that's impossible and even in 1945 it was a very famous wine, even hard to source here at raisonable price !

Excellent wine btw !

Sorry you are wrong Vogue is one of the top producers in Musigny and the wine was through impeccable channels. That is just the way it was. 1972 La Tache was $29 a bottle by the case. The fake wine stories are just a fantasy, there was no money in wine in the 70's, Lafite and Latour were dumped on the market at $200 a case.

Le Comte Georges de Vogüé is a big Maison (but not the name of a 1er Cru, sorry !)! If you have talked me about les Amoureuses or les Charmes at this price I would not have trust you ! At least I don't trust you yet, Les Amoureuses at less than 20 bucks is a sacré affaire, in 1980 and even more if you bought it in your country after a second margin ! Do you remember the name of the wine ?

Even if the wine made big increases it was more expensive in my souvenirs for such wine! And even a retailer like Georges Duboeuf was certainly not selling the Beaujolais Village so expensive (I mean in relation with the prices you gave for the C-M... 7 dollars ???? It's like if you say there is 700 dollars between a Porsche and Renault Clio : there is a problem... maybe a faux-souvenir, or it was maybe not a Beaujolais Village but a better wine ???? (I mean if the C-M 1er Cru was really cost less than 20 ! Hurk !)

Give me the Vosne Romanée at 29 !!!!!! :eek: two bottle please :)

ANd yes, ask your french friends : fake bottles is not a myth, even mixing ! (I'm not saying yours was a fake if it comes from a reliable origin)

Last edited:
ANd yes, ask your french friends : fake bottles is not a myth, even mixing ! (I'm not saying yours was a fake if it comes from a reliable origin)

These wines were purchased directly from the producer, the "ancient" wine fakery does not apply here. Now wine from the 70's is ancient and is faked too bad for everyone. My point is in the 70's there was not much money to be made with fake wine, it just didn't cost that much in the first place. 1970 Chateau Lafite in 1975 was $20 a bottle now 1982's are at $12,000 a bottle.

Heu... Just drinking a Bordeaux Supérieur from 2010 tonight... money becomes hard to win those days !

Edith : Scott, wine couterfact is as old as the romans in Gaulle ;) And yes there was a lot of money to make: trading of wine is very old : ask the English whom are the most serious wine merchand with very old offices in Bordeaux Quai des Chartrons, etc.... Have to say I was not drinking in 1975 yet... but my parents did ! Hey dod you remember what was the name of the Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru ? If it was les Amoureuses (owned by Georges de vogüé) or les Charmes from a good year, it is Something ;) :) !

Attachments

• IMAG0366.jpg
    IMAG0366.jpg
    761.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.