How to test wine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heu... Just drinking a Bordeaux Supérieur from 2010 tonight... money becomes hard to win those days !

Edith : Scott, wine couterfact is as old as the romans in Gaulle ;) And yes there was a lot of money to make: trading of wine is very old : ask the English whom are the most serious wine merchand with very old offices in Bordeaux Quai des Chartrons, etc.... Have to say I was not drinking in 1975 yet... but my parents did ! Hey dod you remember what was the name of the Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru ? If it was les Amoureuses (owned by Georges de vogüé) or les Charmes from a good year, it is Something ;) :) !

We're talking about two different things faking fairly generic wine to go up one grade has been around forever. I'm talking about careful counterfeit of specific wines which involves labels, bottles, and cork markings.

As for the Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru, they sell wine from the younger vines of all their premier cru together under one label (the laws are complicated as you know). The label pictured is the same as it was in 1971, just premier cru. A very nice wine and it was $11.99 retail, no one printed a fake label and had the cork imprinted the wine came directly from Vogue via his importer Classic wines Boston MA.

Attachments

• comte-georges-de-vogue-chambolle-musigny-premier-cru_1.jpg
    comte-georges-de-vogue-chambolle-musigny-premier-cru_1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 82
It's very funny :)

I talked you about fakes, whatever the level of counterfact (it has always existed since the areas had some good reputation... remember the popes of Avignon : fakes were always made since phenicians with Jares to the standalone bottle after and before 1855 !

I believe you bought an "assenmblage" of a premium quality in "primeur" but not the sota quality which is always labelled because the parcells (and the conaissoirs) by a label ! For instance Vogüé (look the printing , it is not a famous magazine which has for me less intelectual value) is owner of certainly the best Chambolle Musigny : Les Amoureuses.

As you know maybe too, things are complex when it comes to law and making wines, and I'm perfectly aware of this (not all the french are, hey; and you seems to know more than many french), but I really think you drunk a good wine made of 1er Cru parcells mixing (it's legal as far I know), but not the sota : Les Amoureuses from a particular assemblage with the main year of production in it (well it's complex), etc (among the best if not the best). Anyway, you certainly drunk a premium one and paid a good bargain for it and few had this luck)

Last edited:
I prefer that yellow coloured wine served ice cold, plenty of carbonation, a nice hop bouquet and of course a good head on it.

Wait, what?

Me I had a lot of pleasure with Pisco Sure* in Argentina, then in Chile... even if they don't agree about the origin ! And I drunk Carmenere wine which had collapsed in Europa... well, it's just red wine, I like them all !

The only true rule whatever what you drink : drink it with pleasure surounding by loved and loving people...

(*: There is ice in it as well but better than your drink one Canadian can support, lol.... sauvage , well you know what was on the barel we sold to you, lol...! )

Last edited:
For instance Vogüé (look the printing , it is not a famous magazine which has for me less intelectual value) is owner of certainly the best Chambolle Musigny : Les Amoureuses.

My apologies for not having the accent keys handy. His Musigny and Bonnes Mares are quite dear these days. That label was from 2014 just say'in he still bottles it as something more affordable but now it isn't so affordable.

no appologies, just please send me a bottle :).... Man do you know the price of les Amoureuses from a good year today, it's just "n'importe quoi" (but understanble, the markett becomes really worldwide, and not the parcell !)... I can't not afford them anymore ! It's for chineese and rich americans, I hate you ! (well but I love you in the same way :) )

(Try Les Feusselottes, very sota as well but a little below les Amoureuses, ... sheet not drink one since 15 years maybe !)

Last edited:
Not me I'm long out of this loop. I actually can't figure it out anymore, Chinese maybe, Japanese maybe 20yr ago, Russian mafia not so much these days. I can see Burgundy with it's tiny productions but who buys all the first growth Bordeaux at 25,000 cases each for $2000 a bottle?

btw, for one who had tested a PETRUS or a Château d'Yquem, it's Worth it imho : you have the best of the best product one can make, after all some try to sell here some TDA1541A S2 at 200 bucks without knowing if it's a genuine 100%... Capitalism !

I'm glad there are many things very good things to eat and to drink all over the world... if only gazoline didn't cost the price of wine today, lol ! (glad to live in Europe)

'yellow coloured wine served ice cold, plenty of carbonation, a nice hop bouquet and of course a good head on it' - for us lucky Australians, 'Cricketers Arms' make several nice drops of this stuff (Takes care of my Saturday afternoons...)

'if only gazoline didn't cost the price of wine today" - just realised, I spend slightly less on booze than filling my (Honda Jazz) tank each week....

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for South African wines. We are renown for exporting the cream of the crop, so you guys should have it good over there! I am forced to shop at the budget end, so it is a bit hit-and-miss. I once sampled budget wines from Argentina, Chile and Italy. That was a very horrible decision! Totally regretted having done that. It seems their worst is really, really bad! Since then, I stick to local wines; some nice, some not so much, given my budget.

I guess I have no real taste in wine. I like a nice Chardonnay with pork or fish, and a light red with beef, but Pinot Noir and particularly Chianti tend to be way too tannic for me and irritate my stomach. Even most of the Beaujolais nouveau I've had tend to be too dry.

I like a light red wine in Sangria if I make it. Skip the sugar and just chop up a bunch of fruit, add it to a half gallon mason jar and top with wine. Put it in the refrigerator for 12-24 hrs and enjoy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.