The Golden age of HiFi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What's being marketed today is NOT hi fi. It's gadgets and a race to the bottom. No company is going to manufacture products without a market.

Without a market, hi fi is relegated to people like us that fiddle with old units. Unless you go to the snobby hi fi store, all you'll see is junk. The younger generation, for the most part, have no idea what hi fi is.
I wonder what your definition of hi fi is.

Here are some nostalgic pages from the 70's and 80's. I just love the look and extreme quality of the machines of the day>
Pioneer Vintage Hifi Klassiker

As a guy who used to do service/repair of that generation of gear, I'm not (at all) reminded of extreme quality. Pioneer receivers and cassette decks weren't made to be as absolutely inexpensively manufactured as possible (that would be the Electrophonics and Superscope stuff!), but weren't really all that far from it. Really, really, cheap switches and circuit boards ("break-off" edges, in most they didn't even bother to use a shear to cut them with!). Particularly compared to the pre-70s Marantz stuff and the like.

Today's crazy-expensive highest-end stuff is of course overbuilt to a fault, but not a fair comparison since that isn't in reach of very much of the public.

The evolution of the humble Cassette tape fascinates me. From a format that was meant to be used for simple voice recording, to a phenomenon that took over the world, the changes were huge, while still being backward compatible.

There were so many millions, maybe billions of cassette tapes sold and some of that money went into making the format ever better. It's a good example of what market forces, money and engineering can do. The tape decks got better and better, the tape itself improved vastly, and helped drive improvements for all magnetic storage. The cassette shell also evolved into something so much better than it had originally been, while remaining compatible and inside the original format.

Ultimate Hi-Fi? No. But from it's humble beginnings, the Compact Cassette went a long way. Has any other audio format evolved has much?

Yes it really is fascinating and shows what people can do when constrained to a spec but competing on performance. It is remarkable how much performance was wrung out of those skinny tapes. To me the most amazing was the Walkman Pro, which was better than most stationary cassette decks but fit in your pocket.

A million years ago I was working in a stereo shop and someone traded in an older Akai cassette deck. It was my dream deck, built like a tank, great heads, cool solenoid switches, autoreverse, etc. I really wanted to buy it, but since I worked in a stereo shop I couldn't afford it. I don't remember what the foolish owner traded it for. Later I bought a nice Sony top-loader trade-in very cheap, but it wasn't half the deck that Akai was.

Perhaps even more remarkable than the rise of the cassette was its demise. I think part of it was that the cassette became a low-fi read-only distribution medium; most people were buying prerecorded cassettes, not recording their own, so when CD's came along and available in blasters, people threw out tapes even faster than they threw out albums.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
To me the most amazing was the Walkman Pro, which was better than most stationary cassette decks but fit in your pocket.
I had one of those for awhile. Made some amazingly good field recordings with it. Loved that thing.

Perhaps even more remarkable than the rise of the cassette was its demise. I think part of it was that the cassette became a low-fi read-only distribution medium; most people were buying prerecorded cassettes, not recording their own
When I bought my first cassette deck, circa 1971, I also bought a lot of pre-recorded tapes. Geez, they were awful. I didn't understand why the recordings I made sounded so good, but the tapes I bought sounded so stinkin' bad. Then I learned about high speed duplicators and mass production. :mad:

I had one of those for awhile. Made some amazingly good field recordings with it. Loved that thing.
Oh gosh! :p
It reminds me of that thing that missed from my set of gear - a record-able walkman. When I was at school, before attending to a (pop, rock ) concert, I called a class mate, a girl that was in possession of such thing.
It was plastic and horrid - the brand was Fair Mate - but it had two mics and a red button ;)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Try Googling Garrard SP25, I got 31,400 results, an indication there IS still an interest in those "awful" decks. I'm guessing there are a lot of cloth eared Luddites out there?

Hold the presses, sack the Oscars team, just google the movies and the one with the most results wins.

For balance, 31,000 results is a pathetically small amount. Technics SP-10 returns 1,2million. Lenco L-75 140,000, Garrard 301 258,000.

I can remember purchasing a Aiwa cassette player in the early 80's and I paid, probably, around $150. Last year I purchased a 32gb mp3 player from China, for less than $20.
I am now waiting delivery of an 8gb mp3 bluetooth player with a micro sd slot costing me $30Can including shipping.
The advances in technology just boggles the mind, and besides being pocket-able, they are so affordable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.