Failed as a Parent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My daughter thinks this is ok to play music on:

Attachments

• sbar.jpg
    sbar.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 588
Hi, sadly not just her, but Lots of other people of all ages too. Not only that, but playing mp3's etc on them :(

Yes, converting her to something Much better, would be good for her, plus she would spread the word around :)

Ogg sounds much better than mp3 and takes up less file space per song.
there are converters from one format to the other, although best to start with
as good as you can source, you can do a lot of this in Linux and it is entirely free
to use. Linux Mint being a pretty friendly platform. Main Page - Linux Mint

there are advices at Xiph.org to assist with players
supporting Ogg I know samsung do.

but if you have to use mp3 the little RoyQueen players sound
quite good, they appear to listen to what they build, and have
often surprised me with decent audio quality ability.

My daughter thinks this is ok to play music on:

It IS okay to play music on that. Or anything.

I'd much rather people were playing music for the sake of the music rather than to see if they can pick out the decay of a particular branded cymbal during a drum solo, and what ought to be upgraded if they can't.

A lot of people are put off using HiFi kit because its so damn inconvenient.
If there's anything more to it than "plug iPod in here and press this button to switch it on", they simply won't bother, and understandably so - I've been listening to music out of my laptop speakers (granted its one of those Asus laptops with a little subwoofer, but even so) despite the nice Kef system in the other room. That one requires the use of Apple TV to stream to the amp which needs to be on the right input etc, and it'll then only stream from iTunes. The alternative is to find a very long cable, and then trip someone up while having the headphone socket on my laptop wrenched out.

sq, with the job market being what it is, don't panic. I've just graduated with a physics degree and have worked 800 hours as a tech at the students' union while studying, and still can't get a job.

Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
It IS okay to play music on that. Or anything.

I'd much rather people were playing music for the sake of the music rather than to see if they can pick out the decay of a particular branded cymbal during a drum solo, and what ought to be upgraded if they can't.

That one requires the use of Apple TV to stream to the amp which needs to be on the right input etc, and it'll then only stream from iTunes. The alternative is to find a very long cable, and then trip someone up while having the headphone socket on my laptop wrenched out.

Chris

Are you seriously telling me you don't even have a lindy wireless audio box? really?

I play music from my laptop via ITunes very often when sitting in the other room and listen through the door..LMAO

The dongle plugs into USB and even works out of the box with Linux.
Lindy Box..
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...PXV-dnfxwIVAVkUCh3LWAeB#imgrc=ajawa4iPgFDTgM:

You can even plug your headphones into it and walk about..:D
I use one with all my tube amps..and as an input selected via Preamp.
Sit on the settee with laptop on my lap and play the juke box..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Yep, I'm seriously telling you I don't have one of those. I wouldn't want something sticking out of my laptop like that for any length of time either - bound to get damaged/broke/sat on.

I'd be willing to bet money its not as convenient as a little speaker than sits next to you and has zero compatibility issues with anything, just needs a 3.5mm jack. Someone brings their phone along with music, fine, just plug it in. Laptops, tablets, Apple, Android etc etc. My point is this: nothing comes close to a small battery powered unit that provides foolproof operation.

Chris

When I was a kid I listened to music on a cheap cassette player with a built in speaker. We might laugh at it now, but as a kid I wasn't interested in listening critically as an audiophile might, I was just enjoying the music. :)

I know this thread was only meant as a light-hearted jab (and it certainly brought a smile to my face), but I think that while we might provide kids the opportunity to advance to better quality gear if they are drawn that way, in the end we should just let them listen as they will at their own 'level.' Some may eventually want to graduate to increasing levels of audio quality, others will likely be satisfied with what we might consider mediocre systems. Let them enjoy music in their own way, even if it seems disappointing to us. :eek:

Attachments

• vintage-cassette-tape-recorder.jpg
    vintage-cassette-tape-recorder.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 290
Agree with Phil

If it sounds good to someone, let them be.

Ha I used to record my "awesome" guitar playing on one of those cassette rigs. Always was looking for ways to get "sound on sound". Borrow someone's cassette player, playback through a 3" speaker into the other player while singing and playing through the mike. Very crude, but entertaining. Also had a little GE portable am/fm I would plug the earphone out into my Gibson Skylark amp. I enjoyed the hell out of that combo, and if I could hear that setup now, would probably sound good to me.

Regards,
Terry

Most kids are quite happy with their iPod (or phone), and low-fi blue-tooth portable speakers - at least my daughter is! My son, OTOH has to have the finest portable hi-def player, even though I try and tell him those extra bits just don't matter at that volume level. :) But what do I know. My once golden 63yr old ears, just aren't as sensitive anymore. :(

The biggest challenege will be dealing with her as a female. In my experience, females just are not that in to the finer points of audio reproduction. For example, my wife can hear all the finer differences that I can, she just doesn't much care about them. Said another way, she just doesn't find them of much benefit for the enjoyment of the music. It's the same with HDTV, she just doesn't care about the picture size or quality, so long as she can watch her programs. High levels of video noise, ghosting or pretty much anything else don't serve as impediments to her enjoyment of the program content.

My teenager buries himself with his own music, online, thru THE most crappy of (fortunately) over-the-ear head phones on the computer...hours on end.
I've re-soldered those tiny lacquered wires a zillion times now....I think he wouldn't mind one of these....
He does complain about my system being too loud....Oh well, if I can get him halfway there, I'd figured I might be "successful"...
Hey!!!, I used to dance at a Male strip-club...does wonders for your ego.....
Crack? Ew...We all at one time or another, have our demons/monkeys to deal with....we grow up....

---------------------------------------------------------------Ricks........

Attachments

• KOSS Pro4.jpg
    KOSS Pro4.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 250
My daughter listens to her music from her laptop through some little speakers I've built her, a Parasound Zamp V3 and a 2 channel Tascam interface.
She records herself through same Tascam and a Sontronics Large Diaphragm Condenser mic.

All of which I've paid for. Otherwise she'd be using her phone for everything. :-(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.