Failed as a Parent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
C:H....the guy down the road lost his chicken coop in a storm last winter. His chickens instantly became "free range chickens" Sometimes they cross the road.....most of the time they make it, sometimes.....I think there are about 5 chickens left.

play a game on their Ipods called "My Singing Monsters"

I looked it up and it is available on Kindle Fire which the grandkids have. I will see if I can get them to play it. I might have to try it myself on my iPad.

I haven't been a big gamer since Space Quest II (maybe 1988) on my PC. I do have an Xbox and have been seen jumping around like an idiot in front on my Kinect. I however have no interest in spending countless hours shooting aliens, humans, or whatever with futuristic weapons on a TV screen.

I got a game called Rocksmith several years ago and it is a useful guitar practice tool. It works somewhat like Guitar Hero, except it uses a real guitar...any electric guitar. It comes with a "real tone" cable which has a guitar plug on one end, a USB plug on the other end, and an ADC in the middle. It works with a PC, Xbox, and some other game consoles. I bought the grandkids a cheap but decent electric guitar, a copy of Rocksmith, and have hooked it up and got them to play along for a while. It doesn't seem to interest them. Maybe some monsters will help.

kids are growing up in very different world today than the way it was when we were kids.

That's very true, and it will continue to change at an ever increasing rate. I have done better than most parents and grandparents at fitting in. The people at the community pool and both playgrounds refer to me as the big kid. They have no idea just how old I am, they think I am a parent.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I haven't,

been a gamer since frogger ended on the Atari..:D

I remember in the 70's in the UK the Pubs had computer games in glass topped tables...they were the standard tables you put your Glass on..then you could slowly have a few and try to destroy the space ship ..

I must admit I did quite well after about 3 pints..:D

This was a favourite at the time (Phoenix)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT4-0eJfsto if you haven't played Pheonix..LMAO

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I actually game a little and I can safely say that most games are very different now compared to the Atari and Pacman days. Those kinds of 'shooter' games still exist, but many games now have complex plots and storylines that are honestly comparable to some novels. My favorite ones are what are called 'open world' games where you are free to explore complex gaming environments and take on missions or contracts, follow leads in some mystery and so on. The level of complexity and variety of playing syles and prefences is now quite stunning compared to the gaming world of the 70''s, 80's, or even 90's. You'd be surprised how challenging, involved, and plain entertaining games can be, and I would recommend trying some before dismissing them.

I'm amazed, and on some level appalled at the realism of some of these creations. I was at the local Micro Center about a year ago waiting for the sales clerk to return with the memory sticks I was looking for, and saw a movie on the big screen that looked interesting but had never seen before. So I started watching to see what the movie was all about, and to my amazement realized that it wasn't a movie at all, someone was playing a video game! How long will it be before no actual actors will be employed, just digital characters being portrayed in totally artificial environments? Imagine how technology like this could be used for evil, kind of scary really.

Mike

Last edited:
Beats white dot ping-pong games on a b&w tv, and commodore 64 consoles by a long shot.
Also the reason for not playing games during every single awake hour.

We had one who was fined limited gaming hours for a couple of weeks.
He pretended he was sleepwalking, when he got caught in flagrante at 3AM on a school day, heading for his pc.

You'd be surprised how challenging, involved, and plain entertaining games can be, and I would recommend trying some before dismissing them.

I'm not dismissing them. I know how many hours I could spend in front of the screen if I ever started down that road. I spent countless hours in front of my 2600, Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II, Space Quest I and SQ II on PC, and the Legend of Zelda on the original NES. I started as a casual player each time, then stayed until I reached the end of the game. I am hesitant to slide down that slippery slope again.....None of the PC's I have built have video cards, so that prevents some serious gaming!

I'd rather play the game of George VS the PC board layout. At least my final victory over the red and blue lines has a real tangible result, although there are dozens of PCB's stored on my PC that have never been made.

I spent about 30 years of 8 to 12 hour days chained to the computer at work, and plenty of time in front of it at home too. I don't need another reason to be stuck in a chair.

I have resisted Facebook for the same reason, but I will eventually cave on that one. Motorola has laid off well over 100,000 people in the past 20 years. I knew at least 10,000 of them (41 years in the same plant that once employed 5,000). I can no longer remember where all of my friends are.

Last edited:
Novels? I couldn't be that nice - soap operas to me. Same conclusion I drew when I finally saw Walking Dead, btw.
My obsessive gaming days are long past.
"George vs PC layout" ...LOL that's great.

Why not. I think a lot of the writing is probably comparable to pulp fiction, but some are noticably better (and the same goes for the voice acting as well).

My boys (who are still fairly young) play a game on their Ipods called "My Singing Monsters"

We went to the grandkids place for some grilled animal flesh (it is a holiday in the US today) and guess what the 10 year old was playing on his Kindle....he discovered it last week. Maybe some of it will sink in.

The last of the Motorola phone group in Florida was laid off a few weeks ago. A company named Magic Leap has leased their building and hired a bunch of the engineers. If they succeed they will turn the video game world upside down.

Imagine something like Google Glass next gen that projects a 3D VR image in the inside of the eyeball being used for VR gaming, education, and entertainment. OH, yeah, they have half a billion dollars of Google's money to work with too!

On the op,

I need to pick up something like that to take on a river trip in a kayak. It needs to be waterproof and considering that most ice chest space will be taken up by adult beverages, the audio quality will not be top priority.

I never got into games as I saw how they would suck me in. My son was into them pretty big growing up, and worked for Blizzard Entertainment for a few years after he got out of the Air Force.

When he was visiting last July, he was playing EVE online. The learning curve looks pretty steep for me. He had figured out a number of very clever loopholes in the game that allowed him to do things that (as he explained) were not supposed to be possible.

Imagine something like Google Glass next gen that projects a 3D VR image in the inside of the eyeball being used for VR gaming, education, and entertainment. OH, yeah, they have half a billion dollars of Google's money to work with too!

I figure Apple should do one that covers the eye, projecting both a forward view and whatever game / data / overlays are needed.

They could call it the iPatch.

Arrrrgh.

Bill

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I still remember my dad criticizing my taste in music as a teen; surprisingly quite a lot of that music has proven quite durable over the past 4 decades. While my tastes encompass a much broader range of music these days including a lot of classical and straight up jazz, I am also quite surprised at how good some of that "worthless pop music" is, and that in my late 50's I not only find a lot of the stuff imminently listenable, but also enjoyable. I also like quite a lot of current stuff that some fellow denizens here have characterized as noise.. lol In fact currently listening to Banks, definitely not noise...

An observation about modern pop, despite the lack of dynamic range there is really quite lot going on in many of those recordings. My main stereo and the hifiman hm-901/oppo pm-3 are very good at revealing how many of the nuances most of us are not getting to hear, and it's sobering.

I still remember my dad criticizing my taste in music as a teen

My dad didn't, despite not enjoying the music his children listened to.
Oddly enough, I noticed the same deal with me and my son a couple of years ago. Not my kind of music, but I was pleasantly surprised by his taste for quality.

In my 20s, while talking with my father about music and turntables, he mentioned that TT's were pretty bad right after ww2. A reverend/priest wanted to play records in church, but available TT's lacked sound quality, asked to build him one in solid metal.
My dad said it was pretty much as the ones I described and showed him pictures of. So I asked him to build a 2nd one, a couple of decades later, for me.

He could hear sound quality differences, but it didn't mean enough for him to matter. A number of decades later, and my kid is my dad, I his son.
Makes me wonder which is the idiot of the three.

I've been thinking about building or getting something small but decent for camping. Portability and simplicity seems rare these days. Almost every music player has all kinds of features that many people don't care about. When you have to read a manual to get the music going, no fun. But I've noticed significant evolution in that market in recent years.

I'd want a bigger battery than most have (20 hours+), with an AC option. I'd want Bluetooth, and port for charging a phone (after Bluetooth use drains it). I'd want remote control. USB thumb drive compatibility. At least 10 watts rms per channel (outdoors you need more than you think if you want any bass at all). I'd want it to be directional so I wouldn't annoy neighbors too much. I'd want it black with white lettering, so vandals would be less likely to spot it. And water resistant, durable... good tone controls (4 section Baxandall preferred here - that's where the existing units come up short), and... good sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.