Elon Musk

Status
Not open for further replies.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And in 2000 Microsoft funded Apple to the tune of 500 million ....

Well not quite. M$ got caught with stolen QuickTime code in their OS and instead of suing the crap out of M$ Steve Jobs let them off in a face-saving manner by having them publically buy $150M in shares, developing Office for the Mac (Word & Excelwere originally Mac Aps) and an undisclosed royalty of at least a 1/2 billion.

It was pre 2000 IIRC.

dave

Gates is an aspie (like me and my son) and aspie's rock ... We are real "terminators" ... me ... well, just as long as its easy ... I am also laser focussed on being lazy at the same time.

Cool.
Srinath.

Gates was smart "aspie". he identified content as king as the internet started ,built a team to work specifically on this in the early 90's.

You acquire/attract an audience , then " with the objective of driving profitable customer action.” (Steer the sheep in a profitable direction) .

Today's ex hacker/social engineer types will be on a team like gates put
together in the 90's.
Talk about "influencing people" .... influence whole societies.

Gates /Elon/Jobs = professional team builders and social engineers. At a level
WAY beyond crude politics.

OS

You cant listen to ex'es (wives or employees) ... the proof is in the current actions of the companies which are easily visible ...
SpacEX is copying NASA, lockheed martin, boeing etc etc, what cost the american tax payer billions has been used by SpacEX free and they are complaining about red tape..

Tesla is cutting out retirement costs, dealers, and all the rest of the crap, plus getting a hefty subsidy from the govt, and still too $$$ and impractical for most people and making a loss.
EOM, Versionary, not a visionary.

Cool.
Srinath.

Well not quite. M$ got caught with stolen QuickTime code in their OS and instead of suing the crap out of M$ Steve Jobs let them off in a face-saving manner by having them publically buy $150M in shares, developing Office for the Mac (Word & Excelwere originally Mac Aps) and an undisclosed royalty of at least a 1/2 billion.

It was pre 2000 IIRC.

dave

I thought Jobs was at pixar till 1999 ??? I may be getting my years wrong there a bit ...
BTW, if you want to start looking into who stole whose code when ... we'll be here all night. But yea it was, however lots of stolen code in apple software too, and that $$$ essentially kept the **** storm down, and the public paying them $$$ while thinking they were squeaky clean.

Cool.
Srinath.

You cant listen to ex'es (wives or employees) ... the proof is in the current actions of the companies which are easily visible ...
SpacEX is copying NASA, lockheed martin, boeing etc etc, what cost the american tax payer billions has been used by SpacEX free and they are complaining about red tape..

Tesla is cutting out retirement costs, dealers, and all the rest of the crap, plus getting a hefty subsidy from the govt, and still too $$$ and impractical for most people and making a loss.
EOM, Versionary, not a visionary.

Cool.
Srinath.

new book out on the Wright Bros. by McCullough -- check Amazon.

Lockheed had to be bailed out by Gerald Ford, ain't gonna be another rescuer for Tesla.

You cant listen to ex'es (wives or employees) ... the proof is in the current actions of the companies which are easily visible ....
proof we don't need stinkin proof
this aint a courtroom, like I said it can and should be taken as data point, to their real behaviors, you know when they let their hair down so to speak. Not those sanitized bios printed on the shareholder bullsh*t.
we want the wreckage behind the scenes stuff hehe

And in 2000 Microsoft funded Apple to the tune of 500 million ... as well as the os which had big sections ripped off from unix (which was really public long before that).
Cool.
Srinath.

Srintah,

My intention was not to make and to avoid that old childish battle Apple vs Microsoft. I used numbers as something easy to understand and to avoid baseless arguments. It happens that those are MS and Apple numbers, where monstrosity of tectonic change in a short time should speak about itself. Even though I have been very early adopter, almost lifelong Apple supporter, collaborator in early days of color implementations in digital photography , as well as earning Apple as a client for the studio I started and lead, I have nothing against Microsoft or in particular Gates. Actually I gained much respect for Gates and his wife for their philanthropic and charitable activities. The point was about people that did something that marked their time and the results they achieved against all odds. One could argue until is blue in face but those numbers are hard to debate. On another side Tesla's achievements are still hard to reach or even understand.

Now a few facts. Apple's OS was always based on UNIX with user's friendly and very intelligent GUI. When OSX came it was based on Unix and NEXT system owned by Jobs while he was out of Apple.

Now very important one. Yes, Tesla died in New Yorker with only small pension and support from old Kingdom of Yugoslavia, for only one reason. Money was never his goal or motivator. His success is measured with a different stick. I hope this will help you understand Tesla's character - Tesla had contract with Westinghouse based on his patents where he was earning on every KW produced. As Westinghouse fell under JP Morgan's pressure, in order to help his friend and pull him out of financial ruin, Tesla ripped his contract and essentially gave it for free to JP Morgan. History would be quite different if he did not act as a real noble man, but that would not be Tesla. To quote you "Nickolae Tesla died penniless in a decrepit hotel room" with correction in name - Nikola would be correct spelling. He died in New Yorker Hotel still today at the same place as it was then. Further more "Tesla was a genius who could not string 2 words together to make a politician understand ..." I would be very careful, as Tesla gave interviews as well as he entertained on a regular basis. His best friends and contemporaries were Mark Twain and Stanford White, no need to go further. Hardly possible to believe for someone who could not string 2 words together... besides in no book or biography Tesla was ever described as such, quite opposite. From some perspective eccentric, but extremely interesting, eloquent and educated. For those reasons very popular in high circles of that era.

Please get your facts together, if nothing but out of respect for greats. You might not agree, understand or like them but ... get the facts right please.

I always liked Tesla , too intelligent to succumb to greed. No motivation
for power.
And that child like scientific curiosity. I would of loved to be an assistant.

OS

It is even hard to count all of inventions Nikola Tesla was credited or not, but here are some interesting stories from second part of 19th century. As the official inventor of radio (not Marconi, posthumously given to Tesla I believe in 1945, need to look for exact year) Tesla made the first demonstrations of radio technology with remote controlled boats in a small pond!

He invented fluorescent lights, did very early experiments with XRay...

One little known fact: For the World Exhibition in Chicago Tesla was awarded contract to power and light the entire exhibition with at that time fancy electric lights powered by AC power. For that he wanted to buy and use Edison's light bulbs. At a very late point Edison refused to sell them to Tesla. So now stuck with big problem and contract, the only way out for Tesla was to make bulbs on his own, yet he had to respect patent belonging to Edison. He solved it by changing the fitting from what was called an Edison thread to two prongs fitting. That is the very same fitting still in use today on small halogen lights - still in sale, or like on each end of fluorescent bulb. The exhibition was overwhelming success for Tesla and Westinghouse. That won them a contract for Niagara power plant. That success for a first time supplied AC power from a long distance to Buffalo which in turn resolved battle against Edison. You would never think what those two little contacts sticking out of a bulb did for a human kind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.