Pingping's amplifier inquiries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, they all sound and perform the same, ok :)

I shall do some more reading and perhaps do nothing... :)

Hi all, to ask, does anybody have any PCBs for this SKA150, a BOM list of preferred parts, and maybe even assembly and testing list... thanks :)

No, they do not all sound the same or perform the same. However, if constructed properly they will all work.
If you want to learn about SKA you need to read Greg's forum, which will serve you better than fishing for replies here.

At present there are plenty of diy amp opportunities available to you. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. You seem to be searching for someone to tell you what is the best one. The answer is that there is no "best one".
Of course as I am a somewhat co-developer of the new Naksa I will tell you that it is far and away the best one out of all amplifiers, diy or assembled commercial for big bucks.

You could help yourself a lot if you could focus on what exactly you want to do and also how much money you have to spend or want to spend. There is a big money difference between a full diy project and buying built and tested modules.

No, they do not all sound the same or perform the same. However, if constructed properly they will all work.
If you want to learn about SKA you need to read Greg's forum, which will serve you better than fishing for replies here.

Yes, if you want to hear from fans, that is your best option. This is your best option to hear from folks who have taken advantage of the " SKA GB150D now public domain..."

At present there are plenty of diy amp opportunities available to you. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. You seem to be searching for someone to tell you what is the best one. The answer is that there is no "best one".
Of course as I am a somewhat co-developer of the new Naksa I will tell you that it is far and away the best one out of all amplifiers, diy or assembled commercial for big bucks.

I would expect nothing less from a co-developer. I would love to hear what "far and away" sounds like. ;) Does this mean that your are one of the few who have actually compared the SKA GB150D and the NASKA side by side?

You could help yourself a lot if you could focus on what exactly you want to do and also how much money you have to spend or want to spend. There is a big money difference between a full diy project and buying built and tested modules.

So true, however, feel free to ask and plan and dream. It's all part of the charm of the hobby.

Blessings, Terry

Thanks and no worries, I will just have a read around the forums :)

TBH, i do not give too much importance on what people say about the sound of their amps,
they may give you listening impressions, but that will be no guarantee that you will experience the same....

best to find out for yourself, or if you have friends using amps made by Greg Ball or Hugh Dean or even Rod Elliot,
then better to hear for yourself, also take note at what speakers your friends are using,
imho, the speakers, the listening room, and the program material will have more influence on you musical
experience than just the amplifier alone....;)

I never tried it.., I believe the amplifier sounds superb with the NFB cap too (you can order a Nichicon MUSE - audio grade - bipolar cap for this position if you want). You can also replace the input cap with a piece of wire - the input cap is only needed if your pre-amp or source has dc on it's output (which is easy to measure and also very unlikely). You could still place an input cap into the signal off-board and use a large fancy cap (e.g. Auricap) too.
Hi Bigun, do you know how to do the DC Servo instead of the NFB cap or has PauloPT ever posted a circuit of how to do the DC Servo instead of the NFB cap... thanks :)

Yes, if you want to hear from fans, that is your best option. This is your best option to hear from folks who have taken advantage of the "SKA GB150D now public domain..."
Blessings, Terry
Hi still4given, feels good here... thanks :)

still4given, do you have a link to the SKA150 Greg Ball fans website? Perhaps I will have a look there, also... but I like it here and perhaps I can even contribute something useful, although you all (SKA150 builders) sound far more experienced than me and I am yet to build an SKA150. I like the fact that you do not need to use any fancy components and it still sounds very good, which is interesting. This must be a very good design, so I think I might try this with some help from you all (SKA150 builders)... thanks :)

Hi Bigun, do you know how to do the DC Servo instead of the NFB cap or has PauloPT ever posted a circuit of how to do the DC Servo instead of the NFB cap... thanks :)

Sorry, I can't tell you what people actually used when they implemented a dc-servo for the SKA. It isn't part of the original pcb so a separate circuit is required.

Okay, at the present time I am the only person with a Naksa 125 and I do not have, nor have I heard or care to hear the SKA amp. Until such time that some person has both, or access to both amps, your question cannot be answered at all.

Your above question seems to indicate that you do not understand the difference in the amp modules. The SKA is a complete diy build. You buy the board and parts, stuff the board, test the module, and complete everything all on your own. The Naksa, when it becomes available, will come as a completely built and tested module. You then supply the case and transformer to complete the amp.
As such, the Naksa modules will cost 10-20 times more than an SKA diy build. Cost alone tends to separate the potential buyers of either.

i agree, cost is the deal maker here......
the amplifier technology has gone leaps and bounds as far as improvements are besides the availability of good components today...
it is still the speakers that are IMHO the bottleneck.....
getting the amplifier play well with the speaker is the object here....
some call it synergy....

Terry,

I think you are being harsh to Steve, assuming he is pushing a barrow for his involvement in the NAKSA. Let me make my position clear.

Neither Steve nor me want to sell a NAKSA to PingPing or anyone here who seeks a free or low cost DIY circuit. Actually, I would say that the NAKSA is NOT in this DIY field anyway; it is built, a tested module, and the price is quite high, reflecting the commercial interest and obsessive design and build. I'm not sure why people even compare my products with the SKA or any other amp, to be honest. They are very different in intent, philosophy and design.

I see a tendency here to talk about personalities. This is absurd and not relevant. PP wants the best DIY he can find at low cost; let him choose from five or six on this forum, all good amps, well engineered, particularly amps from Ostripper, Mihai and Michael.

The idea of DIY to save money is moot. A lot of time is required to build and debug a DIY amp. If you have all the time, the technical know-how and the manual skills, it's a fascinating exercise. But you won't save money. If you want something cheap, buy a kit from Ebay or maybe buy used. That's the cheapest way to do it.

Enuff from me......

Hugh

Terry,

I think you are being harsh to Steve, assuming he is pushing a barrow for his involvement in the NAKSA. Let me make my position clear.

Neither Steve nor me want to sell a NAKSA to PingPing or anyone here who seeks a free or low cost DIY circuit. Actually, I would say that the NAKSA is NOT in this DIY field anyway; it is built, a tested module, and the price is quite high, reflecting the commercial interest and obsessive design and build. I'm not sure why people even compare my products with the SKA or any other amp, to be honest. They are very different in intent, philosophy and design.

I see a tendency here to talk about personalities. This is absurd and not relevant. PP wants the best DIY he can find at low cost; let him choose from five or six on this forum, all good amps, well engineered, particularly amps from Ostripper, Mihai and Michael.

The idea of DIY to save money is moot. A lot of time is required to build and debug a DIY amp. If you have all the time, the technical know-how and the manual skills, it's a fascinating exercise. But you won't save money. If you want something cheap, buy a kit from Ebay or maybe buy used. That's the cheapest way to do it.

Enuff from me......

Hugh

That is a very disappointing reply. I have an AKSA100N that I brought from a friend who upgraded to something else. He suggested that I have a look at your NAKSA and the SKA. Your reply, which is quite rude, definitely rules out the NAKSA... not to worry, that is ok :gasp:

I will continue to read the forums, and even look at the others that you have mentioned, but I am feeling quite comfortable with the nonAKSA posters on this thread. SKA150 posters, I am sorry for attracting these other posters to your SKA150 thread, please accept my apology! We all make mistakes and appears that I have definitely/inadvertently/mistakenly done so... sorry :(

Last edited:
Ah yes, so then the reason you claim the NASKA is far and away the better amp is pride in your own work and not from actually listening or even measuring.

That's cool, just needs to be taken in context.

Blessings, Terry

Terry,
You are taking things way out of context!!!!

My post 572 referred to the fact that I am the only one at present time with a Naksa 125 and have not heard the SKA amp. And I also have no intention of building and listening to an SKA amp. I am not really interested in having a collection of different amplifiers. Make of that what you will, but it is what it is.

My later post referred to my involvement (construction and testing of prototype, not design) with the N125 and my personal opinion of the amplifier. You seemed to seize on my use of 3 words for some reason known only to you, but you've made a big deal of them.

I think it best to not put the two posts together, as you seemed to have done.

I have an AKSA100N that I brought from a friend who upgraded to something else. He suggested that I have a look at your NAKSA and the SKA.
(

PP,
I have been trying to help you along with your search, though you may not feel that way about my posts.
Several years ago, like when the AKSA100 was a going product, the SKA became a rival product. Those days are long gone and past. There are no more AksaKitSetAmplifiers, or AKSA for short.

The NAKSA and SKA occuppy different segments of the market now, for the most part. The existence of this thread came about only because Greg Ball posted the schematic for his amp and opened it up for anyone to diy on their own. Naksa is not a diy amplifier project, although it can require a bit of buyer input and construction. However the NAKSA cost is many times that of the SKA, and that usually does not put them in the same conversation.

If you don't find the above to be helpful, well okay that's up to you I suppose.

Terry,
You are taking things way out of context!!!!

My post 572 referred to the fact that I am the only one at present time with a Naksa 125 and have not heard the SKA amp. And I also have no intention of building and listening to an SKA amp. I am not really interested in having a collection of different amplifiers. Make of that what you will, but it is what it is.

My later post referred to my involvement (construction and testing of prototype, not design) with the N125 and my personal opinion of the amplifier. You seemed to seize on my use of 3 words for some reason known only to you, but you've made a big deal of them.

I think it best to not put the two posts together, as you seemed to have done.

I actually formed my thoughts from your text. This is a thread about SKA. You said you haven't heard one, nor do you desire to build one yet you claim to know that your NASKA is far and away a better sounding amp. How is that helping? I didn't make a big deal about it. I wrote two sentences to clarify what you had said. You have not heard both amps so you have no way of knowing how they compare.

Blessings, Terry

I actually formed my thoughts from your text. This is a thread about SKA. You said you haven't heard one, nor do you desire to build one yet you claim to know that your NASKA is far and away a better sounding amp. How is that helping? I didn't make a big deal about it. I wrote two sentences to clarify what you had said. You have not heard both amps so you have no way of knowing how they compare.

Blessings, Terry

Terry,
You need to let it go!
My first comment, for the third time, stated that I have the only Naksa 125 at present and there is no comparison available. That post was to be my only post in this thread. Then you asked the same question as if you hadn't read my post, so I answered again and added a little embellishment that I suppose I didn't really need to do judging by your comments.
My second post and comment with my opinion on the Naksa 125 does not mention the SKA as I have no opinion of the SKA.
Clear enough for you?

Last edited:
we learn this the hard way, there are a lot to be gained by going the DIY route, and saving money is not one of them.../QUOTE]

I agree that was true between 20 and 10 years ago

These days a simple amplifier can easily be 10x BOM cost retail, which means that even with over-priced components in low volumes there are big savings to be made.

The days of good value for money reputable modules from AKSA or Crimson are long gone, so low cost now = dubious from eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.