Pingping's amplifier inquiries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess I am really asking which would you prefer sound-wise and a little reason why would be nice... thanks

Can't both be completed and tested?

Okay, at the present time I am the only person with a Naksa 125 and I do not have, nor have I heard or care to hear the SKA amp. Until such time that some person has both, or access to both amps, your question cannot be answered at all.

Your above question seems to indicate that you do not understand the difference in the amp modules. The SKA is a complete diy build. You buy the board and parts, stuff the board, test the module, and complete everything all on your own. The Naksa, when it becomes available, will come as a completely built and tested module. You then supply the case and transformer to complete the amp.
As such, the Naksa modules will cost 10-20 times more than an SKA diy build. Cost alone tends to separate the potential buyers of either.

I have built my own version of the SKA (search for TGM7) and would suggest you will not be disappointed with the sound. Knowing Hugh, the NAKSA will not disappoint either. You really can't go wrong with either amplifier in my view but I too have not heard them both. I would rather deal with Hugh than Greg so if cost is not a deciding factor, I'd suggest you contact Hugh and see what he can do for you.

Well.... if i can remember Greg Ball is the one disturbed Hugh Dean a lot

Was very unkind to Hugh Dean a few years ago.... and i have developed a resistance about him..... the one disturbs my friend is not my friend... this is my own rule... each one of us have our own rules.... this is connected to education, culture and ethics.... i do think he obtained some fame while trying to discredit Hugh Dean...and i do think get fame at the expense of others is intolerable... i became much more pi---- than Hugh related the subject..he forgave him... i do not!

I have noticed several years ago he released, as a kit, an amplifier... and was on the top of hugh shoulders.... if i can remember even the name was connected to Hugh Amplifiers...then Aksa became Naksa if i can remember.....you see...KSA is the way to connect the name to Aksa.

Hugh Dean is the amplifier's master in my point of view... and some designs he made, Blameless style amplifiers, resulted great in my point of view...some different from Blameless i have my doubts about the performance as i have tested so many "different types" amplifiers that i became resistant to other kind of designs (topology)

This one, in special, reinforce my evaluation related Mr. Greg Ball.... the topology is the one was very often used in Brasil from 1977 to 1988... all Brazilian amplifiers, all brands, have used double differential input.... all them have used... maybe hundred factories... all professional equipment was Leach Style circuits.... fully symmetrical and i always perceived that as not good... sound was punch but strange...bass was strange... controlled...but short in time.... alike to touch a microphone and the pop sound goes reproduced into speakers...that bump...short bump...undefined and the bass look to me to be always same frequency.... small differences of frequencies not perceived...maybe due to severe harmonic distortion.

People that plays musical instruments, singers and musicians have never accepted that kind of amplifier in Brazil...and these guys have good ears..if they like..then the amplifier may be good.

Watching the circuit i cannot believe it will sound very good..unless you match the input within 5 percent you gonna have huge third harmonic.

I will not assemble to listen.... not only because my belief it will not be all that good..but because historical reasons...things i heard and things i saw about Greg Ball made me decide that even being the best amplifier in the world...if made by him, ... i will not even listen...... something about Brazilians...we make club, group, tribe.... you go to war because a friend... and a friend offended is the same if you were offended.

Enjoy the amplifier...i will not.... i will not even try.... Greg does not deserve my attention.... i also think that the ones are really friends of Hugh Dean should do the same as me.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Hi destroyer X/Carlos, seriously, are you saying that you have not listened to an SKAGB150D and that you do not want too because you hate this fellow called Greg Ball and that you are a friend of this Hugh Dean... what is this Greg Ball horrible to deal with and can one tell that the circuit is no good just from looking at the schematic :confused:

Thank you for your post but it is not really what I am looking for. I hope you can appreciate that conjecture, hearsay, peer pressure, etc really is not good nor helpful...

I will consider what you have said, although I am not sure of the relevance to my enquiry :confused:

I would prefer posts about sonic performance, electronic stability, and the listening enjoyment that the amplifier provides, please... :)

Last edited:
I remember Greg from when he was a member here. He was often very critical of other folk's designs, especially if the amp was class A. He often came off pretty arrogant. Anyway, when he came up with his own design I wanted to try it but I got out of the hobby before it was available. When I came back he was gone. When this thread started up I looked for boards and found them on eBay. I built two sets. It really is a nice sounding amp and not expensive to build.

Last edited:
I remember Greg from when he was a member here. He was often very critical of other folk's designs, especially if the amp was class A. He often came off pretty arrogant. Anyway, when he came up with his own design I wanted to try it but I got out of the hobby before it was available. When I came back he was gone. When this thread started up I looked for boards and found them on eBay. I built two sets. It really is a nice sounding amp and not expensive to build.
Hi still4given, thanks for your reply. Have you found the SKAGB150 to be electronically stable and have you been using it for very long? Does that mean you can't buy the boards anymore except from ebay or make them yourself... thanks :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.