The Weather

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Snow slowing. Can't see the outdoor thermometer.

Attachments

• 10Feb2017.jpg
    10Feb2017.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 109

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Been 7 deg F (-14C) since sundown, northern coast of Maine. Prolly 5-10 colder inland.

Got 8" (20cm) of light fluff yesterday, but they just raised the bet for the next 48 hours to 19" (half Meter). Need to get more gasoline for the snow blower.

> all four main highways leading away from {Vancouver} are closed indefinitely.

Very sorry to hear that. FWIW, 100 years ago, my nearest city ran out of corn (meal, I assume). There was a load coming in, but WWI submarine attack had all shippers in a panic. Sugar was short also. I guess this goes both ways-- you may have enough in the city for a while, but outlying towns may be depending on a daily truck, now blocked.

Poor guys, presently -12c, was near -20 last night, heavy snow at the moment, had to work on my front porch stairs last week for about 1 hours, just to remove 3inches of ice from it. freezing rain about every two weeks, last time it was almost 1inch of solid ice over my two cars, took 1 hours with the motors running to finally be able to clear the cars of all this ice. Major traffic jam every morning and evening, city water pipes that explode because the ground is too cold, too deep.

And it been going for months, and will still be going for probably for an other 2 months.

Well i would certainly prefer to leave in the Vacouver area that's for sure. I'm going in the basement to work on my projects. At least I won't see outside ;)

Keep the fate, only 2 months before we can finally expect the snow to start melting :p

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Snowing here again, still no snow blower. The tactic has been to go out every few hours and shovel. We're located just south of Boston, and we are expected to get up to 12 inches today, and possibly the same tomorrow. Looks like we are getting our snow later in the season. In 2014 we had no snow until January here, and a record breaking snowfall that year, this year it started even later, but seems determined to catch up the deficit all in the space of a week.

In theory the snow blower repair folk are picking it up tomorrow morning, but given a blizzard is in the offing I expect that may not be the case.

Philips facility in northern MA where I work announced this morning that they are closed from 6PM tonight until 5AM Tuesday morning. So another day off.. lol

Philips facility in northern MA where I work announced this morning that they are closed from 6PM tonight until 5AM Tuesday morning. So another day off.. lol

Wow, that's refreshing. A major company choosing to do the right thing well in advance and keeping people off the roads. Snowing hard here north of Kevin. We went out for a snowshoe out to Great Bay before the snow got really bad. IF I can get the snow blower fixed I'll be off to the basement workshop to finish up a 325v PS for my tube linestage.

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
North of Carl and south of Michael, we are at 25F (-4C) which feels warm after the last few days down to 4F (Algar knows what that is like). Just gained 5 inches in 6 hours. Monday is scheduled for 21 inches (0.5+m) snow and 50mph wind gusts. My snowblower works but I aint gonna blow in that blow. Valentine's Day I will be huffing a 500 foot path to the street, and may not clear it car-wide til Wednesday late. Except there's more snow then.

Inland a friend is expecting 2 full feet. He says he is out of space to pile it.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
North of Carl and south of Michael, we are at 25F (-4C) which feels warm after the last few days down to 4F (Algar knows what that is like). Just gained 5 inches in 6 hours. Monday is scheduled for 21 inches (0.5+m) snow and 50mph wind gusts. My snowblower works but I aint gonna blow in that blow. Valentine's Day I will be huffing a 500 foot path to the street, and may not clear it car-wide til Wednesday late. Except there's more snow then.

Inland a friend is expecting 2 full feet. He says he is out of space to pile it.

My goodness ... just looking out of the window at the soon-to-be sunrise and thinking that it's somewhat cold here at - 2C but reading your post sort of puts it in perspective ... Also thinking that what I have here to clear the snow basically is a broom ... probably won't do much good in your places ...

Cheers,

Jesper

No brooms here, Jesper. If we're lucky a shovel will do. But not likely. We're already at more than 6"/15cm. Sadly I'll probably have to borrow a snow blower again tomorrow once another 12+ inches (30cm) fall. No line stage work tonight. The one blessing is that both schools for my kids and wife are closed tomorrow (we actually got a call for my son's school while snowshoeing and for my daughter later today), so we have time to clear the driveway and sidewalks.

Edit: Jesper, many years ago (1980 or so) I played soccer in Copenhagen, Malmo and Herning. I still have a friend in Herning that I consider a very good friend indeed. I love and miss Denmark.

Carl Paulsen

Last edited: