The Weather

0º and still snowing. 12" on the ground.

Off to grab me shovel ag'in...

...nah, **** it, time for some rum and a nice dog walk. Great big flakes are fun to watch fall and the dog loves the snow. Wouldn't you if you had a coat like this?

Attachments

• IMG_9922.jpg
    IMG_9922.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 97
Curacao 29C, raining on the ringway on route to the superstore.
YeeY, didn't fry my skull off today ��

Amos Balentin was elected tumba (carnaval) King last night,his song was on the radio every quarter of an hour (volume way up in my car, windows open)

(2nd YeeY, mini laptop and all's well on the Caribbean front, no more fckng annoying iPad ever again)

Last edited:
Canadian maple syrup is produced thousands of kilometres from here. But you're right, it is the best syrup of all, n'est ce pas?

Nah. Good ole' NH backyard mutt syrup is the best (mix of sugar, norway and sometimes silver maple). Maybe because it takes so much work to make it... Last 2 pics of me and my kids were from 8 years ago or so. We're still doing it though. I have to start getting ready. Already a little behind schedule. DIY boiler out of stainless sink welded shut, dry laid block and fire brick. I build it every fall or winter and tear it back down every spring.

Attachments

• DSCN2210.jpg
    DSCN2210.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN2228.jpg
    DSCN2228.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN6472.jpg
    DSCN6472.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5404.jpg
    IMG_5404.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 52

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Good ole' NH backyard mutt syrup is the best

I thought that opinion, or the Vermonters, might come out.

NY seems to supply a lot more than any other below the border. But the best is always from the nearest sink-boiler.

> 40:1 it's just about as energy intensive as aluminium.

Tastes better.

Carl seems to be in-town, but the usual venue is an older woods, which are full of excess or dead trees for burning. I only have weed-maples, but have to thin-out 70-foot Spruces or they jack-straw each other and the driveway in storms.

Last edited:
it's just about as energy intensive as aluminium.

But tastes far better and isn't so crunchy.

We get Amish made maple syrup from Northern Ohio, by driving to....Northern Ohio. There are a couple of good flea markets there that we visit a few times a year. Despite being far from the beaten path, I have found some good deals there like a Tek 2335 100MHz scope for $25. It was known dead, but I fixed it, one of the last true analog scopes.

SPF45, haha. Yes, but they'll out last me. We used to put tanning lotion on in the 60s and 70s. I swear it concentrated the sun instead of blocking it.

PRR, we are in town, so it's a little odd. But it's an old New England neighborhood with BIG maple trees and enough for us to rotate around with different trees every year (so we don't over-tax them - many are near the road and are already stressed). We use a wagon to haul sap and hang buckets the traditional way. We get some looks, but everyone is fascinated by and appreciative of what we're doing. Everyone whose trees we tap gets some of the booty. Oh, and I used to live in VT for many years and love it (and their syrup) there.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> we are in town, so it's a little odd

Oh, the maples are fine. What you lack is huge hillsides of firewood trees. In NH, such woods may be only a mile out of town. (I have wood and am 5 miles from streets like yours.) If this was more than your family and friends, you'd need much cheaper fuel, either street-gas or bulk trees. Of course to make a living you might also need an enclosed boiler to keep the bugs out, and an inspector cuz I think in the last few years a semi-uniform Grade Standard is imposed. Local Food laws may allow to sell "unapproved" products in-town where the buyer can see the cow or the boiler and be satisfied as to the safety of your process. Which is bizarre because most food-safety issues have been HUGE factory farms, not the guy selling unpasteurized milk. Spring-flies in the syrup won't hurt anybody.

Here gas costs something like ~$0.80/therm
1 therm is 29.3 kWh
here electricity costs ~$0.11/kWh
this means electric heat costs $3.22 per therm
Roughly 4 times as much...on an equal heat basis.

If you can get a heat pump that has a COP of >4, a heat pump is a good option. Installed cost for a heat pump is quite a bit higher.

At least right now in the "age of frakking", gas is cheapest.
I did experience an electronic alternative. The Chinese have made some electric heaters with slightly overrun quartz tubes. These can kill eyeballs as quickly as possible, so they're not really useful in locations where you would sit down and get your eyes irradiated with lengthy exposure (that error costs too much). They'll also wear out the bulbs a little faster (this cost not considered).
If it weren't for those two application problems, the run cost is rather attractive.
It didn't get cheaper than gas; however, in a few (possibly sketchy) applications, it didn't cost more.

The example is cheap initially, until you pay the eye doctor, and here it is: New! DLUX Infrared Quartz Space Heater, Energy Efficient & Quiet 400/800 Watts
Also available in a 10 pack, along with a certainty of myopia.

So, it isn't impossible that electric can run as cheap as gas; but, there seems to be a hazard in doing it.

The example is cheap initially, until you pay the eye doctor, and here it is: New! DLUX Infrared Quartz Space Heater, Energy Efficient & Quiet 400/800 Watts
Also available in a 10 pack, along with a certainty of myopia.

So, it isn't impossible that electric can run as cheap as gas; but, there seems to be a hazard in doing it.

What you are talking about is physically impossible. Radiant heat does not cause myopia, and it isn't as cheap as gas by virtue of being "slightly overrun". A $23 ebay heater is more likely to be a fire hazard than anything else....