The food thread - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2011, 04:44 PM   #741
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
We also grow Padron peppers here to make my favorite Spanish bar-food snack, fried Padrons with salt. The Texas soil apparently alters the heat balance- Spanish Padrons have about 1 out of 10 very hot, the others sweet (it's random, which makes it fun). Here, we get about 2/3 of them hot. They are amazingly flavorful.
Ah, I love the pimientos del padron, there's a great little German bar (Titanic) in Puerto Portals, Mallorca, where a friend and I like to drink. We went over for Easter weekend a few years back and this bar was our 1st port of call.

Got there around 4pm and started drinking Belinis, around 6pm we decided we should have some food as the drinks were slipping down too easy. Ordered the pimientos del padron and the 1st one I ate was the hottest thing I'd encountered (I've eaten these since childhood, so was more than a little surprised) and I got a severe bout of hic-ups, which lasted 45mins, much to my friends amusment. Anyway, as soon as my hic-ups ended Pete picked up a pepper, ate it and began hic-upping himself! We left the bar at about 8pm, completely inebriated and about 400 down-damn those belinis are expensive!
Old 2nd December 2011, 05:03 PM   #742
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Oopps, another 5 minutes of free time, another correction.

Recipe for the English speaking population (close approximation):

Serves 5 (though in American terms, that might be closer to 3...)

--150 ml olive oil
--5 cloves of garlic very finely minced
--several sprigs of parsley leaves very finely minced(the flat-leafed variety)
--.75 l of fish stock (fumet--I also have this recipe)
--.10 l white wine
--a small amount of flour for thickening

Put the olive oil in a roasting pan or sauce pan. Add the garlic and cook until it starts to become golden. Make a roux by adding a bit of flour, then add a bit of the parsley (very, very finely minced).

Remove from the stove and add wine and stock. Put it back on the stove (doesn't mention the heat, but I'd keep it fairly low) to thicken the sauce a bit.

When it starts to bubble, throw in a bit of salt, remove from the heat, and you can then add the fish. Cook in the oven at the appropriate temperature. Add more of the very, very finely minced parsley before serving.

As for applying this to shellfish... I would guess that in the case of your dish that each individual creature was pre-cooked separately in the most appropriate manner (roasted, boiled, broiled, etc.) and then added to the broth/sauce for just a short cooking time.

Quote:
Ah, I love the pimientos del padron,
Everybody does. LOL.
Old 4th December 2011, 05:34 AM   #743
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I love the older styles with lower alcohol and extraction and more local character than the newer fashions in wine.
This is the food thread, not the wine thread, but...

I tend to agree. While I generally like wines made with high extraction (which to me essentially means maximizing the flavours extracted from the fruit, as well as the sugars) there has been a trend, started in New World wines, to maximize varietal character rather than regional character. The best Old World wines express regional character, even to the point of individual vineyards, rather than just being another example of a well-known grape variety. How many CabSauv's do we need to know what that grape tastes like? Regional wines are usually blends, often but not always with a particular grape dominant, but augmented with minor grape varieties. But even if they are monocultures, the best regional wines announce themselves as wine from a place, rather than wine made from a grape, and as such they demand that they be tasted not as another example of that grape, but rather as an expression of that terroir.
Old 4th December 2011, 11:35 AM   #744
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
I tend to agree. While I generally like wines made with high extraction (which to me essentially means maximizing the flavours extracted from the fruit, as well as the sugars) there has been a trend, started in New World wines, to maximize varietal character rather than regional character.
Unfortunately, the race toward higher extraction means a uniformity of inky, hot, and overly tannic wines. The terroir is lost, yes, but so is any notion of balance or elegance. At that point, might as well drink $5 Aussie shiraz.
Old 4th December 2011, 01:44 PM   #745
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At that point, might as well drink $5 Aussie shiraz.
Old 6th December 2011, 02:41 AM   #746
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm in Canada, where there is no such thing as a $5 Aussie shiraz (they start at about $10).
Old 10th December 2011, 12:02 PM   #747
diyAudio Member

Today I've just made a....

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Tortilla de patatas!! (Potatoes omelette)
Old 10th December 2011, 12:11 PM   #748
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Looks beautiful! I love a slice of tortilla with a glass of crisp fino sherry.
Old 10th December 2011, 02:42 PM   #749
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looks beautiful! I love a slice of tortilla with a glass of crisp fino sherry.
Lovely design, isn't it?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th December 2011, 02:57 PM   #750
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm.....not masculine enough. I prefer this one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Osborne bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hide this!Advertise here!