The food thread

Re: stovetop "potroast" (aka braised beef)

I would always add some red wine to that, and for veg carrots are nice to add a little sweetness. In fact you might as well use the "holy trinity" of onions, carrots, and celery. When it's done, take out the meat, but instead of reducing the gravy, throw the sauce, onions, carrots, whatever into a blender and puree it, makes a nice thick gravy. You could also degrease it first (some of those cheap cuts of beef can be pretty fatty) with a gravy separator (like this: Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips 4-Cup Fat Separator: Kitchen & Dining).

Guys our age can't

How true.

Nèèh, fluids are heated pretty homogeneous in a MW.

(Unless they're heavy metal'd. :clown: Ever noticed that cheap clay mugs overheat in a microwave oven, and higher quality ones don't ?)

At their "natural" environment temperature, more juices flow. (same for you and me, no ?)
But you're welcome to prep them in your pants for an hour, if that kind of thing turns you on.

Fluid, hu ?:rolleyes::confused::eek::D:mad::p
Today we have....
Zucca alla livornese-----Pumpkin a la Livorno, which was one of the four
Seaside Independent republics in the XVI century, together with Genova, Pisa and Venice...well, I think that you oughn't study that at school :rolleyes:;)
So, make a shunt between the input and put the grid to ground:D It's DIY

Just make some slices, put them with some flour and fry...not too much if not...they burn!
Than take 'em off, clean the pan and put some tomato soup- yes, the 'Livornese' is anything which is re-baked with tomato soup- and finish the baking....cover it !
Together I see...Uhm....Black rice

Attachments

• DSCN2795.JPG
    DSCN2795.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN2797.JPG
    DSCN2797.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN2798.JPG
    DSCN2798.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2800.JPG
    DSCN2800.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 63
So you Livornese must thank a Genovese for your National cooking !! ;)
Hmmm, interesting .

Because if it weren't for the famous "xeneize" Cristoforo Colombo you would have neither Zucca nor Tomato.
Not even Polenta ;)

For the uninformed, all 3 plant species are native to America , to which we should add potato.

Just make some slices, put them with some flour and fry...not too much if not...they burn!

I am glad to see someone else eating pumpkin. Do you ever use starch to fry with instead of flour? I've found there is less oil absorbing, crispier and it's gluten free.

Sometimes with pumpkin we like to do it Tempura style. Surprisingly good.

Where are you able to get fresh Pumpkin at this time of year? It's long gone from these parts. Do you have a cellar?

Hello cal. I have been following you on this cooking post. Are you sure your not a in canadas next top cheif :) ? OO Wait my idea just hit the internet now they will steal it for sure:shhh:. So when can a real chef show it's done;). Just kidding all of your food looks great. I am more of a fish person now a days. I still like a good burger every now and then. Love the sweets and reg. ice tea is my choice but, I use real fruit every now and then. Well again cal keep on and I will keep enjoying your post of good food. Jm