Moderation and members no longer around - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2010, 02:24 AM   #1
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Default Moderation and members no longer around

Hi Bob,
Agreed, especially about harmonics being low order as a component of good performance. Low feedback design types of amplifiers do tend to measure higher THD, even higher than 0.05% at 1 KHz.

Hi wahab,
Quote:
i was about to publish these designs in this site, but it happens that
a after recent event about a member that did great technical contributions
and was banned from here, i realized that DIY is not exactly what i thought
it was supposed to be.
Now that is really too bad, everyone's loss. Not the least because no one has ever been banned for detailing a project or having a differing viewpoint. I would encourage you to start a thread about your interesting project. It sounds like you had fun on top of having every right to be happy with what you created.

To tell you the honest truth, no member has ever been banned until all other attempts at communication have failed. In fact, a ban only ever will occur after a large amount of trouble with that member, and they go out of their way to ensure that they break the most serious rules on purpose. Also, no serious action against any member has ever taken place without the majority of moderators in agreement. Some times, they all agree. Anyone who says different are not dealing with the facts, not even close.

If you have concerns, why not ask a moderator, or the entire moderating team? We can not get into specifics as they are confidential, but what you have heard could be confirmed or denied for the most part. One truth I can give you is that 99% of the time, banning a member is not something that we want to have happen. In every single case, it has been to protect the membership from bullies, Trolls or similar unpleasant things. That is the entire reason why there is a moderation period, but some people change for various reasons. I will also add that there are a few members who are no longer here that I feel would be a strong benefit to the membership. These are people I am friendly towards and have zero personal issues with.

I feel strongly that the comment you put forth had to be answered, rather than be allowed to propagate further when there are factual errors. More so since you felt it proper to make a statement that you are withholding participation based on a situation that simply is not true. Of course, I am available to comment further should you wish. My email button is there for all to see.

Best, Chris

This is a collection of posts from this thread.

Last edited by anatech; 20th February 2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added link to original thread.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post

Hi wahab,

Now that is really too bad, everyone's loss. Not the least because no one has ever been banned for detailing a project or having a differing viewpoint. I would encourage you to start a thread about your interesting project. It sounds like you had fun on top of having every right to be happy with what you created.

I will also add that there are a few members who are no longer here that I feel would be a strong benefit to the membership. These are people I am friendly towards and have zero personal issues with.

I feel strongly that the comment you put forth had to be answered, rather than be allowed to propagate further when there are factual errors. More so since you felt it proper to make a statement that you are withholding participation based on a situation that simply is not true. Of course, I am available to comment further should you wish. My email button is there for all to see.

Best, Chris
hi chris,

fact is that the solid state forum has lost a few prominent members,
wether they were banned or are now unwilling to participate to the debate, or only occasionnaly....
time will tell us, but this section of the site has already lost a lot
of his interest..

all da best,

wahab
Old 17th February 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Default You sound like Greg Ball

Hi wahab,
This is not the proper place for discussions involving energy efficiency. Not only that, but your concerns do not amount to very much in reality.

One has to ask. Why do you post here, and yet expect other members to assist you? Of course the slap in the face is your refusal to contribute while citing a very flimsy reason.

All take and no give perhaps? Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As for members who are no longer with us, I do communicate with some still. These people have various reasons for their decisions, and at least they are honest about those reasons (well, I know a couple who are not honest about what occurred). That entire argument should have been cleared up by yourself personally, rather than carried on and leveraged as a reason for not contributing to others. You didn't have to mention this, but you made a case of it. In fact, you have actually come into this thread late and are in a sense, "thread jacking" to some extent. You could have started you own thread.

Now you are using this thread as a platform for an ecological message. You wouldn't happen to know Greg Ball, would you? You are beginning to really sound similar in some ways.

Want to talk about wasted energy? transportation of goods by ship from Asia to the rest of the world, the costs of shipping are being held down it seems. This wastes far more energy than what you are talking about. Grid lock and congestion on the roads - those figures would blow your mind. The argument you are attempting to make on amplifier topology is such an incredibly tiny slice of energy use as to be laughable. Remember too, most people in this world who have audio systems are using very low powered system-in-a-box type thing. The power you deliver to a speaker load exceeds the entire draw these systems represent.

Why not become relevant and worry about things that really matter?

-Chris
Old 17th February 2010, 11:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi wahab,
This is not the proper place for discussions involving energy efficiency. Not only that, but your concerns do not amount to very much in reality.

One has to ask. Why do you post here, and yet expect other members to assist you? Of course the slap in the face is your refusal to contribute while citing a very flimsy reason.

All take and no give perhaps? Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In fact, you have actually come into this thread late and are in a sense, "thread jacking" to some extent. You could have started you own thread.

Now you are using this thread as a platform for an ecological message. You wouldn't happen to know Greg Ball, would you? You are beginning to really sound similar in some ways.
The argument you are attempting to make on amplifier topology is such an incredibly tiny slice of energy use as to be laughable. Remember too, most people in this world who have audio systems are using very low powered system-in-a-box type thing. The power you deliver to a speaker load exceeds the entire draw these systems represent.

Why not become relevant and worry about things that really matter?

-Chris
thread jacking?..
isn t it somewhat exagerated.?...
you will notice that i re made some measurements of the
topologies that were compared at the start of this thread..
the debate about energy efficency is part of amps topologies,
in a way, a few posts about it will not hurt..
are that untolerant, chris ?...

whab
Old 18th February 2010, 04:25 AM   #5
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Wahab,

There is considerable sensitivity about difficult, past contributing members in all forums. Moderators do not take banishment lightly. Because you are so clever, you were never on the receiving end from some of these guys, but many did, participation suffered, and while the technical highpoints may be slightly diminished, there is no longer a tiresome scoring of points.

No matter what you think of people's abilities, there can be no place for brazen insult, and when you question the mods on this you can expect sharp disagreement.

Perhaps you might now be invited to join the new 'invitation only' forum?

Hugh
Old 18th February 2010, 05:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Hello wahab,
I am sensitive when it comes to a member who disrespects the rest of the members here. In my view, you did that when you decided to tell everyone that you didn't feel like sharing your work over a rather questionable assumption. When I pressed you a little on that, you remained fixed. So I have to wonder, are you only looking to take from these people, or will you consider giving back as well?

To point out what I see here, you were the one who brought up the issue of telling everyone that you have a project, but are unwilling to share it. The only conclusion I can see here is that they are not worthy in your eyes.

The one thing I have no patience for is a member who punishes the general membership. You have and are unrepentant. You honestly don't see where what you have said puts down the members and all those people who make this place possible. If you honestly feel that way, why are you here?

Anyway, enough. Your posts speak volumes. I don't think you have even attempted to confirm what I have told you with any other moderator. ALl you have to do is ask.

-Chris
Old 18th February 2010, 05:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Hugh,
Thank you.

Spot on as usual for you.

-Chris
Old 18th February 2010, 09:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

at the risk of repeating myself, same answer, check my posts to
know if i m the kind of one always asking for help or trying to give
some clues when i ve got an idea about what is discussed..
don t inflate what i m writing, wouldn it be better to take all
that is said with some ponderation?..
after all, giving an opinion is in no way harmful..
one s opinion only engage his author and everybody has rights
to express opinions...
because we aren t agree on a matter doesn t mean that we can t
agree on all the remaining issues, so please, don t make general
statements as is the case in your late post..
Old 19th February 2010, 10:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Hi wahab,
Well, I'm just commenting on what I can see in your posts.

Why not consider the comment that you made earlier in post #380. Try to see it from another perspective and see what one might conclude.

This is the passage in question ...
Quote:
i was about to publish these designs in this site, but it happens that
a after recent event about a member that did great technical contributions
and was banned from here, i realized that DIY is not exactly what i thought
it was supposed to be..this is to say the least...
so i ll refrain publishing more designs (i published only one, very simple by the way)
as long as the situation will appear to me as troubling...
I don't know, what do you read in this?

Anyone else have an opinion or comment?

On kind of the same topic, I had recently been corresponding with a recently departed member. He took a look in on this thread and sent me an entirely uncalled for, nasty email, simply because I think he misread a post. No doubt someone set up the background for the misinterpretation. Unfortunately, I have no way to clear this up with him, or even ask for clarification over what I can only guess at. He has apparently blocked my email address, and I hadn't even replied to him. In particular, he referred to an earlier post I made at #383. In fact, I had made a specific referral about this person in that post, copied here ...
Quote:
I will also add that there are a few members who are no longer here that I feel would be a strong benefit to the membership. These are people I am friendly towards and have zero personal issues with.
When the issues occurred surrounding him, I wasn't even posting, and was unaware that he had been banned. I have been accused of not doing anything and perhaps even talking out both sides of my mouth here.

I do suspect that there are people here who might know who I am talking about, in fact I am sure of it. I have no way to contact this individual, and that's too bad since we had always had a rapport in the past. What is especially sad is what I'm sure is a misunderstanding, and the over-reaction it has appeared to have caused. I have always been solidly in his corner, and still am.

I guess this is an excellent example of a situation so easily blown far out of proportion through misunderstandings. Normally, if people keep talking, these can be resolved and recognized for what they are.

In the end, I am very saddened that this has happened. Unhappy that no normal comments or questions were made. The excessive anger does have me completely baffled. No, I'm not worried about joining his forum. It would have been nice, but not something that was needed. In the end, a needless loss.

If this is similar to any emails sent to other moderators by this person, I can fully see why he was banned. No, I had no idea of the details since I was not in attendance. There would have been no choice - and this was intentional on his part. In the end, it's all so unnecessary and dramatic.

Well people, there you go. A misunderstanding and a hot temper combined to create drama on the internet. Maybe we all need to sit back and reconsider a post before we respond - and certainly before taking any drastic action. Depending on what you wish to accomplish - of course.

Wahab, it doesn't matter at all whether you post your successes here or not. It's only an expected aspect of participating in a group of people with similar interests. You want to keep things to yourself - fine. Just refrain from making a comment to advance a statement. Personally, if you do not wish to participate, I can't understand why you are here. To each his own I guess.

To everyone,
People have left this site for various reasons. Often they work hard to have themselves "banned", I guess being a martyr is in style. When these people are hot heads, they are not missed. However, when they are known as helpful members and they get it into their head that a grand statement must be made, they generally use the internet equivalent of "suicide by cop". They force our hand, and understand that this (a ban) is never done with joy or happiness. It is an unpleasant business for the moderating team, and I'm very happy I was not involved personally with the one I'm concerned about. It would have been hard on everyone who had to consider the move.

I think this is what I am trying to convey to you all. The moderating team does not rejoice in taking action against any member, except the very few that will be obvious to everyone. Being a moderator does include these things that can be depressing after a while, it ain't fun people.

This is my way of responding to the idea that some people have that moderators like to "throw their weight around". It's simply not true. Every single time a action is to be considered, we are not enjoying the site. It's work, and it's more like the job no one wants to do. People are not banned for fun, no one goes to the SinBin because anyone is getting their jollies. It's work and this does detract from the enjoyment we once got from this site as normal members.

I am sad that there are people who think this is a game. It takes a toll on us which builds over time. And yes, I am very sad about the email I received. So completely misguided and wasteful of emotional energy.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments, they can email me directly, or even begin a thread to deal with it. I only posted here since this seemed to be the location of the problem. bhome at sympatico dot ca

-Chris
Old 20th February 2010, 01:31 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi wahab,

To everyone,
People have left this site for various reasons. Often they work hard to have themselves "banned", I guess being a martyr is in style. When these people are hot heads, they are not missed. However, when they are known as helpful members and they get it into their head that a grand statement must be made, they generally use the internet equivalent of "suicide by cop". They force our hand, and understand that this (a ban) is never done with joy or happiness. It is an unpleasant business for the moderating team, and I'm very happy I was not involved personally with the one I'm concerned about. It would have been hard on everyone who had to consider the move.

I think this is what I am trying to convey to you all. The moderating team does not rejoice in taking action against any member, except the very few that will be obvious to everyone. Being a moderator does include these things that can be depressing after a while, it ain't fun people.

This is my way of responding to the idea that some people have that moderators like to "throw their weight around". It's simply not true. Every single time a action is to be considered, we are not enjoying the site. It's work, and it's more like the job no one wants to do. People are not banned for fun, no one goes to the SinBin because anyone is getting their jollies. It's work and this does detract from the enjoyment we once got from this site as normal members.

I am sad that there are people who think this is a game. It takes a toll on us which builds over time. And yes, I am very sad about the email I received. So completely misguided and wasteful of emotional energy.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments, they can email me directly, or even begin a thread to deal with it. I only posted here since this seemed to be the location of the problem. bhome at sympatico dot ca

-Chris
Hello Chris,

I'd like to know how many of the people who have vested commercial interests and who sponsor this forum have been banned verses the people who don't sponsor this forum ??

How can there be any objectivity in a public forum when certain members have vested commercial interests in it ?

Banning people is a form of censorship. I think a public forum such as this is immediately compromised when certain members pay for privileges which the rest of us don't have. Until this inequality is stopped there will continue to be an exodus of valuable posters who have something of value to offer and who are passionate about what they contribute.

regards
Trev

Hide this!Advertise here!