John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
That depends. I haven't used Zobels for about 20 years, and it has not
created problems, but then I don't use very much feedback.

It's not the feedback that makes the difference. It's the difference between BJT output stages and FET output stages. A simple BJT emitter follower is inherently unstable with a capacitive load -- period. The problem only becomes worse as the output stage becomes more complex (eg, complementary, or a double, or a triple, or error correction, or feedback).

It is trivial to make a power amp with a MOSFET output stage that is stable into any load without using inductors nor Zobel networks. On the other hand, it is extremely difficult to do the same with a BJT output stage. I worked on it for several months before I developed a technique that worked. None of our power amps (MOSFET or BJT) has ever used an output coil nor a Zobel network. They are unconditionally stable with any load.

This subject is only treated well in one book:

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Analog-Circuit-Design-Dennis/dp/0122542401

Dennis Feucht was a designer for Tektronix during their "golden age", working on their wide-bandwidth vertical deflection amplifiers. But even this book does not give enough information to solve the problem totally. It only offers a few clues. As you can see by the prices, the book is long out of print and extremely hard to come by. The high prices reflect the worth of the book.

Dennis Feucht was a designer for Tektronix during their "golden age", working on their wide-bandwidth vertical deflection amplifiers. But even this book does not give enough information to solve the problem totally. It only offers a few clues. As you can see by the prices, the book is long out of print and extremely hard to come by. The high prices reflect the worth of the book.

He has three new books in print from Scitech.

Hi Walt, compromising the input common mode range (remember the 845?) further is not good for a general purpose part.

Hi Scott, thnx, but that may be an apples vs. oranges compare.
For the ad825, take the drains away from the +Vs rail, tie into upper current mirror emitters. I can't see that this compromises CM range.

My general point was/is, why not use the drain current that is wasted?

Best regards,

Walt

Irony (1): This exact topology could easily be used within *today's* IC op amps, for example the AD825 which has a pair of input JFETs with both drains going right to the rails (i.e., all the "topside" dynamic current is wasted). I even wrote to one IC company about it (with no response whatsoever).
Walt Jung

Hi Walt,

If you read the fine print at any major corporation's web site you'll probably find wording to the effect that anything sent to them unsolicited becomes property of the company. Being a large corporation with money they view themselves (or the corporate lawyers do) as a target for law suits. If they were to respond it would open the door for outsiders to claim that some of their ideas were used in a design and so on. This is probably why they do not respond.

I wrote to several major semiconductor companies stating that I had a solution to a classical problem in digital design and that I was interested in selling the IP. I got no response from most of them, one sent my entire letter back a year later claiming that they had not read it, LOL!

Hi Walt,

If you read the fine print at any major corporation's web site you'll probably find wording to the effect that anything sent to them unsolicited becomes property of the company. Being a large corporation with money they view themselves (or the corporate lawyers do) as a target for law suits. If they were to respond it would open the door for outsiders to claim that some of their ideas were used in a design and so on. This is probably why they do not respond.

I wrote to several major semiconductor companies stating that I had a solution to a classical problem in digital design and that I was interested in selling the IP. I got no response from most of them, one sent my entire letter back a year later claiming that they had not read it, LOL!

That's SOP, Apple won't even look at anything unless you have a patent. Then they know the extent of your claims and IP. We have been burned by trolls, and frankly most of the stuff we get unsolicited is from idiots.

That's SOP, Apple won't even look at anything unless you have a patent. Then they know the extent of your claims and IP. We have been burned by trolls, and frankly most of the stuff we get unsolicited is from idiots.

I think you are agreeing with me, or am I misreading you, however the point is that some are hopefully not idiots. My patent attorney friends tell me that they do get a fair number of crazies claiming to have invented all sorts of things such as anti-gravity devices, etc.

There are many well known stories about this. Villchur had a working prototype of the acoustic suspension loudspeaker that he probably did not want to show without a non-disclosure, and he went to several major loudspeaker companies all of which told him his idea would not work.

I think you are agreeing with me, or am I misreading you, however the point is that some are hopefully not idiots. My patent attorney friends tell me that they do get a fair number of crazies claiming to have invented all sorts of things such as anti-gravity devices, etc.

There are many well known stories about this. Villchur had a working prototype of the acoustic suspension loudspeaker that he probably did not want to show without a non-disclosure, and he went to several major loudspeaker companies all of which told him his idea would not work.

Yes we agree, SOP (standard operating procedure) IP (intellectual property). I might exaggerate, we have been approached by folks that thought they had the best "sounding" amplifier as well as a guy who thought microwaving (oven) op-amps permanently removed Johnston noise. You can't proceed on totally subjective claims.

As for the Villchur story, at some level so what? His ideas made it out. Are there world changing ideas out there languishing because of the chicken and egg situation, I want an NDA/we don't sign NDA's? Maybe, it takes two to come to loggerheads.

Last edited:
As for the Villchur story, at some level so what? His ideas made it out. Are there world changing ideas out there languishing because of the chicken and egg situation, I want an NDA/we don't sign NDA's? Maybe, it takes two to come to loggerheads.

So what? While the idea was simple no one else figured it out, and if you ask me it is one of the most significant breakthroughs in loudspeaker design - yet all those companies were probably too arrogant to listen to him. I don't know about the NDA for sure, it is my speculation. I think there is serious case of not invented here (NIH) going on with most people/companies. I don't buy into all the claims of the acoustic suspension system but it certainly did allow for a smaller box which led to the vented camp also figuring out how to make them smaller.

Actually, Harry Olson broke Villchur's patent, citing prior art. Ed V. did a service to the audio community, AND he made big money from it. However, he as was much 'sales' as anything else, and many people were diverted to his approach, (including me) when other approaches would have worked as well or better. What we REALLY needed in those early days, was a subwoofer to be added for the very bottom, and less excursion in the bass and midrange.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]Irony (1): This exact topology could easily be used within *today's* IC op amps, for example the AD825 which has a pair of input JFETs with both drains going right to the rails (i.e., all the "topside" dynamic current is wasted). [snip]Walt Jung

Many years ago I looked into having a standard chip custom packaged in a standard DIL case to access some nodes that normally were not accessible. With the '825, such an option would bring the input stage pos nodes out separately from the Vcc node. I seem to remember we could get a 1000 packaged for something like 5 grand. Plus the price of the naked dies of course. Sounds like a great group buy ;) Hopefully Scott could point us in the right direction.
Any takers?

jan didden

Your Fig. 7.13 is very neat stuff, Bob. We chatted via email how I had done a similar trick back in 2003. It is quite effective, and as you note, completely does away for any need for matched complementary JFETs... a near impossibility these days. I also shared my notes on that 2003 project with John Curl. But Bob Cordell is the one who brought this useful idea to print in his power amp book.

Irony (1): This exact topology could easily be used within *today's* IC op amps, for example the AD825 which has a pair of input JFETs with both drains going right to the rails (i.e., all the "topside" dynamic current is wasted). I even wrote to one IC company about it (with no response whatsoever).

Irony (2): Similarly, the same thing would also apply to the LM301/301A and also to the uA741 (the latter with an alternate input stage bias loop).

Regards to all,
Walt Jung

Hi Walt,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm actually a bit surprized that no commercial power amplifiers (that I know of) have used this circuit; maybe it just has not been written up publicly in the past.

Cheers,
Bob

We haven't run out of complementary jfets as of yet! That is why we are not reaching for alternatives. We will never really run out of P channel jfets, just CHEAP, low noise, P channel jfets. Linear Systems is taking up the slack AND they make lots of jfets monthly, quality bipolars too.
It will just be more expensive, kind of like it is with tubes today.

Status
Not open for further replies.