John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I do not follow you. You care about precision of passive components and then you use them in mediocre valve amplifiers and get mediocre measurements like this. You care in passive precision is not helpful here.

That was measurement limited, as you might have gathered reading the article; the caption you included shows that the preamp had better performance than the sound card I was using then. I've upgraded quite a bit in the nearly ten years since that was done*; I hope that perhaps you have more capability now than you did then. I have been frankly too lazy to post updated measurements since this was already way better than needed for inaudibility.

But nice try at sidetracking and avoiding giving data to support your assertion.

* I'm also on my fourth laboratory since then.

edit: It wasn't your assertion, sorry for saying that- it's hard to keep the nonsense straight.

I guess I don't follow. Say you comes are being loaded by the atmosphere during a humid day, and let's ignore the fact there so density gradient in your room from cone to wall. Does not this mechanical loading, a change in the effective mass of the cone , not change the electrical network. Also, the effects of this are relative to the volumetric displacement, I.e., a woofer is affected more than a tweeter. Under different conditions one set up might test and sound better and under others, worse.

speakers do vary alignment over environmental variations - so they would be expected to sound different from day-to-day if humans were able to make such comparisons reliably - which isn't possible for really small differences given the very few bits that get get stored in long term memory from our full sensory experience

Let's run the numbers. If you have 1% resistors, the gain can be off from one setup to another by 2% worst case.
4%
But what about the change in resistivity in the cone wire. Does that change your network? Theory vs practical?
Yes, the resistance of the voice coil changes with temperature. This causes the frequency response and sensistivity of a loudspeaker to be different at high power, compared to low power, due to the heat dissipated by the coil itself. It's more of a problem with PA equipment than home audio, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.