John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overhere it's 240Vac only sometimes =>
Transformateur R-CORE à fixation sur châssis 30VA - 2 x 12V - Transformateurs R-CORE pour châssis

(Been shopping there before the web. Fun shop, Wink-Wink-Nodge-Nodge on the parking lot, by folks with various nation license plates, each time I drop by)

For 120-120 in any size, Japan. (Used medical channels for those in the past. Rather well connected in that area)
The primaries are also wound on both bobbins, so 120Vac + 240Vac primaries is not in the book.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So in my opinion what we see is AC line distortion being passed by the transformers.

Ed
Sorry for posting them again but these two may help you while testing anything that has to do with main’s trafos.

A -non galvanically isolated- interface for main’s voltage waveform monitoring on the scope (or recording)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/146693-john-curls-blowtorch-preamplifier-part-ii-3454.html#post3361980

A B-H curve tracer (testing for core saturation).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/134065-b-h-curve-tracer.html#post1671925

Now as to the leakage depending on orientation…

If you raster the chassis surface and probe with close spaced test leads each small area, then writing in each cell the leakage measurement and probe orientation, you will have a rough map .

Can you tell me which trafos were pictured in the 3rd, 5th and 6th attached FFTs ?

George

My experience in dealing with the Chinese government (Telecom ministry) was that if you wanted to import a product for sale in China, you would have to include a plan to manufacture that product, including technology transfer, in China..

Not for IC's at least in our case (we sell LOTS of stuff to Huawei and ZTE), in fact we got the Chinese Gov. to stop some copy cats.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Do a simple frequency response test on the transformers. You will find the toroids are very wide band. E-I with split bobbins would be lower pass-thru. A few decades ago, I measured the BW of a Hafler DH500 power amp supply transformer (E-I) and it was -3db at 60Khz. They are pretty much as you would expect a 50/60 Hz (audio) operation transformer to be transparent at audio freqs on the incoming ac line.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Not for IC's at least in our case (we sell LOTS of stuff to Huawei and ZTE), in fact we got the Chinese Gov. to stop some copy cats.

The list of items are for finished goods... I know it seems like an IC is a finished goods but not how it is meant. Its a part of/in a finished good item. A part in a finished good (product) which is directly safety related is listed as required to meet standards for safety.

-RNM

Flawless till 100KHz, Menno told me at the dinner table.

Standard series toroidals as output transformers, sounded so wonderful that I have goose bumps, recollecting the moments.

(OK, so I had a number of brewskies and emptied a bottle of Bourbon, with the 2nd one underway. Recollect I told the lady I was bucknaked, and she could come in now, while Guido was switching the tune)

Attachments

• CentiA.jpg
    CentiA.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

I hope things have improved there, as your experience is probably much more recent than mine. I too, was marketing component devices, in my case, very fast Lithium Niobate optoelectronic modulators for backbone fiber-optic networks.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Japan tried the same thing about 20 years ago with importation of American Aluminum baseball bats. It is a trade control thing.

Yes I suspect some of it is. UL is next to useless for sales around the world. Many countries are also different Korea sends plant inspectors yearly, Europe is CE, china is also different. Like Richard says multiple copies required. Our XS amps are out for safety now, we will receive a smoking hulk maybe one working amp and a piece of paper all for $20,000.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Flawless till 100KHz, Menno told me at the dinner table.

Standard series toroidals as output transformers, sounded so wonderful that I have goose bumps, recollecting the moments.

(OK, so I had a number of brewskies and emptied a bottle of Bourbon, with the 2nd one underway. Recollect I told the lady I was bucknaked, and she could come in now, while Guido was switching the tune)

"The beast with the 1000 triodes" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.