John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II - Page 1059 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 01:24 PM   #10581
diyAudio Member

Soundminded, tasteless jokes are part and parcel here, BUT the VERY IDEA of listening to the GD at 130 dB in my home, even IF they played 'Saint Stephen' is absurd, AND misleading. 100dB will do, thank you, at most.
As far as protecting your ears from potential damage, I also suppose that you put earplugs in your ears when near a construction site, and have NEVER used firearms or been in the military. These are causes of potential hearing damage also, perhaps more than an exposure of the GD on a fine day.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:30 PM   #10582
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundminded View Post
So are you saying that you think if I listen to "Hell in a Bucket" at an SPL of130 db I will be able to hear the difference between the JC-1, JC-2, and Blowtorch preamplifiers? Afterwards will I still be able to hear anything? Will I still want to?
Playing music too loud can cause hyperacusis - just want to point that out.

No. If someone had a cooling fan in the next room, not a loud one - one you couldn't even make out, when it got real quiet a night, expect when you'd put your ear flat against the door - could you detect when someone bumped it a quarter inch to the right or left, sitting anywhere in your room?

Not only could I detect this difference it drove me nuts, and would hurt. I had a extreme dislike for the sound. And every time my dad would bump it and it would move a tinny bit, I notice and I'd have to go in there and fix it. Couldn't be off by more that .25". That's not Hyperacusis though, it's misophonia which many with hyperacusis also develop.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:34 PM   #10583
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeny View Post
Agreed, & does this not give rise to the concept that a good product is a product that has many customers who all give it a good report over an extended period of time. i.e is the wisdom of the crowd. Is this not of more empirical value for judging a product rather than the attempts at DBTs, etc?
So you have a Bose system?
Old 5th March 2011, 01:34 PM   #10584
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl
These are causes of potential hearing damage also, perhaps more than an exposure of the GD on a fine day.
Yes, lets all keep the volume down. Concerts are a common causes of tinnitus, hyperacusis, and of course hearing loss.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:37 PM   #10585
diyAudio Member

I feel sorry for those concert musicians too!
Old 5th March 2011, 01:40 PM   #10586
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
So you have a Bose system?
Have you heard one? I haven't but maybe it's purchasers are not buying it because of sound - careful study of user feedback & judging their opinion & comparisons are needed to establish what benchmark is being used.

The same would apply to MP3 players - popularity would indicate that this is the best music system there is but what criteria is being used as the benchmark for this?

Last edited by jkeny; 5th March 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:47 PM   #10587
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have you heard one? I haven't but maybe it's purchasers are not buying it because of sound - careful study of user feedback & judging their opinion & comparisons are needed to establish what benchmark is being used.

The same would apply to MP3 players - popularity would indicate that this is the best music system there is but what criteria is being used as the benchmark for this?
Correct...so because we can't know the internal perceptual biases, preferences, or delusions of other human's subjective wants and needs we can't use their perception as arbiters of sonic goodness!
Old 5th March 2011, 01:56 PM   #10588
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
An excellent example, thanks. The word "best" is the problem- what's "best" for me may not be "best" for you, and takes on a different meaning when talking about "best" from the viewpoint of what pleases most people. For critical listening of excellent recordings with high quality systems by people who highly value the fine points of sound quality, MP3 is certainly not "the best." That's about 0.1% of the market. For most others, the sound quality is well past "good enough," and the convenience, versatility, file sizes, and large installed base of software and firmware make MP3, on balance, "the best" for most people.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:57 PM   #10589
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinahcc20 View Post
Correct...so because we can't know the internal perceptual biases, preferences, or delusions of other human's subjective wants and needs we can't use their perception as arbiters of sonic goodness!
Not so fast there now - a lot is revealed when a person writes their review/opinion about a product so yes, we probably can determine a lot about the bias, etc. Don't discount it so readily.

Last edited by jkeny; 5th March 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:01 PM   #10590
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
An excellent example, thanks. The word "best" is the problem- what's "best" for me may not be "best" for you, and takes on a different meaning when talking about "best" from the viewpoint of what pleases most people. For critical listening of excellent recordings with high quality systems by people who highly value the fine points of sound quality, MP3 is certainly not "the best." That's about 0.1% of the market. For most others, the sound quality is well past "good enough," and the convenience, versatility, file sizes, and large installed base of software and firmware make MP3, on balance, "the best" for most people.
Exactly, so that's why the bias & benchmark that people are using in their product evaluation is as important as the evaluation itself. If a large number of product evaluations are available, it is probable that characteristics of the product can be ascertained & the consensus about those characteristics identified.

Hide this!Advertise here!