MSGEQ7 without micro controller?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There seems to be a lot of projects using Arduino and the MSGEQ7 chip, but what about using logic circuits?

As far as I can work out the MSGEQ7 outputs a multiplexed DC signal referencing VCC, (which is 5V) for each of its 7 channels. So...

Can I just sling this signal into a 4017 decade counter, give both the chips a timing signal from a 555, and output directly into 7 LM3915's to drive "daz blinken lights"?

Am I going to need to buffer the output into/out of the 4017?

Is there anything I've missed?

I'm trying to avoid all of the programing malarkey, and doing it old school.

I'm wanting 7x10 or more LED's for each channel.

Feed the 4017 from your clock, using glue logic to have that reset after count 7

Output from the MSGEQ7 is time division multiplexed analogue, so you need to separate the 7 outputs with 7 sample and hold circuits, one for each driver chip, enabled by the count from the 4017.

Signal input to the LM3915 on pin 5 is high impedance, so your sample and hold circuits may need to be just a fet, a diode and a capacitor.

Alternatively, you could ditch the 4017 and do the count in binary, then use a HEF4051B (de)multiplexer, with a small cap to ground on each output, feeding the LM3915s

Don't forget that you need to provide a reset pulse as well as the strobe.

Attachments

• Timing.gif
    Timing.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.