looking for 5 1/4" drivers that handle deep bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 5 1/4" speakers I'm using for this bass guitar cabinet (see vertical line bass cab thread, if you like) are just not handling the undoctored output of the instrument and the amp. They sound beautiful on 3 strings, but low E and it's subharmonics are giving these speakers fits, even with 12 speakers that allegedly handle 100 w apiece. This with a 500 watt tube studio monitor amp that's flat to 10 hz... and I only really need 40 hz (low E is about 43 hz). I've tried rolling off the bass with a control on the amp, but it's nowhere as nice, even at higher frequencies.

I've done some searching here and G**gle and am not turning up much in the way of anything useful... any really quality speaker manufacturers or distributors I should know about? Raw drivers, not cabinets...

Thanks a lot.
Ted

I'm afraid the subject line of your post is a bit of an oxymoron. :D Why so many 5 1/4" drivers instead of fewer larger drivers that will be far more suited to the job ?

Contrary to popular belief, many smaller woofers with the same cone area of one or a few larger woofers do not perform anywhere near as well, for a whole host of reasons.

What if you wanted a desktop with 5-1/2" woofers so you wouldn't have an excessive amount of bass on your desk and right in your face? Does that make any sense?

I wish I could hear opinions from people who had tried 5-1/2", 6-1/2" and 8" woofers for desktop speakers.

The short explanation is this: speaker companies builder drivers with the expectation they will be used singly, or perhaps in pairs (MTM). A 5" speaker that has the motor strength, excursion, and heavy cone needed to produce deep bass still won't do it at high volumes because it lacks the surface area to efficiently couple to the air. Given this, when a company sets out to build a woofer, they usually make it at least an 8". In the MI industry, with no WAF considerations and roadies for haulage, 15"s are commonplace, and even those are used in multiples.

The speaker you're looking for is likely a 10" meant for use in a 4x10 bass cab. 12 of those would shake the foundations, for sure.

Mmmmm... there is one company that makes the sort of driver you're after, but their name is Better Off Said Enigmatically with audiophiles around. ;)

playing bass guitar through THOSE would be funny Keriwena! Even those top hat satellite PA efforts would be funny.

For what its worth, hifi woofers are susceptable to ultra low frequency unloading them. Think of the string pluck transient...the string is displaced by say 5mm. This large step input is maybe a single cycle or half cycle. Your amp is flat to 10hz? Not such a good thing. Use a steep rumble filter set at 25-30Hz, that will certainly help. But, as many have said, ultimate SPL and power handling will still be limited.

Last edited:
Mmmmm... there is one company that makes the sort of driver you're after, but their name is Better Off Said Enigmatically with audiophiles around. ;)

Nicely done - I don't think anyone noticed ;)

To the OP, E1 is 41Hz, but, as with most stringed instruments, the harmonics are rather dominant. You could probably get away with having a rising response in the 100Hz region, with rolloff below that.

The problem with what you're trying to do is simple - look at the excursion:area ratios.
A decent 15" driver will stand 6mm one-way travel and sound okay doing it.
9x 5" drivers (same cone area as 1x15") each attempting 6mm one-way will sound awful, as, unless they're mini-subs (whose efficiency is terrible anyway) Xmax will be somewhat smaller than 6mm.

The bass control on your amp will probably be shelving, affecting frequencies >100Hz.
Ideally, you'd use either a graphic eq, or make a 2nd order LR (or other) high pass circuit set to ~70Hz.

PS - the thermal rating of 100w has nothing to do with the point at which excursion becomes a problem
PPS - is this for stage use?

Hi,

You can't even be bothered to say what driver you are using in the
other thread and have simply taken no notice of the fact its probably
very badly tuned, and there is no basic modelling of the bass alignment.

What driver are you using ? specs ?
What volume per driver are your cabinets ?
What is the tuning frequency of your cabinets ?

rgds, sreten.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I dont see the point
it will be hopelessly ineffective
you may need about 20 or more of them to make any reasonable SPL
if you know the price of one driver, do the calculation and tell if it makes sense at all
this kind of thing rarely does

I wouldnt mind a design with multiple 8" hifi woofers
not hard to find good ones, at ok prices
but apart from all the other difficulties, it simply gets way too expencive in the end

I'm sorry but... expensive.

I don't know why but misspelling that particular word irks me.

Wreaks of hillbilly. :D

(And no, I'm not trying to be a snob.) :p

then watch your own typing - personally I find a few minor spellers to be far less irksome than grammar - tense, person, dangling and splits, and punctuation - of course I've spent over 10yrs hanging out with Dlugos, so there's a bit of self-defence involved :rolleyes:

it's been my experience that the true snobs, rather than to poseurs, generally aren't aware how well they succeed without trying :D

that's a joke

then watch your own typing - personally I find a few minor spellers to be far less irksome than grammar - tense, person, dangling and splits, and punctuation - of course I've spent over 10yrs hanging out with Dlugos, so there's a bit of self-defence involved :rolleyes:

it's been my experience that the true snobs, rather than to poseurs, generally aren't aware how well they succeed without trying :D

that's a joke

why the but ?

actually, I thought wrong spelling of that word would be more correct

:D

OK, I wasn't being mean and wasn't asking everyone in the room to get really touchy.

Just pointing out that the spelling of that word looks almost unnerving.

You might look at the mid-woofers from morel. The MW-142/MW-144 and similar drivers. They come with 3" voice coils and might suit your purposes. One comment - when I worked with an MW-142 there was quite a bit of variation in the actual T/S parameters as compared to the published parameters - QTS was high. One other point - they aren't full range but might do OK on the bass :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.